SA IPTV vs DBS & FTA

Scroll

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
This forum has kinda been dead compared to the SA DBS days. Is it because this IPTV version is so much better and virtually problem free after the initial install or are there just way less subscribers?

Now I'm sure this forum has only attracted a small fraction of the groups as a whole. Still, it seems like there's not too many questions or comments anymore.

I know. Those who signed up are pleased with the content. That was generally never much in question even though others choose to "get by" with either GloryStar for free or one of the DBS services while others could not afford it or for technical reasons couldn't get broadband speeds. Still I have to wonder if any meaningful increase in IPTV subscribers is really even possible? Especially when I guess it can be argued that way more people were willing to go the DBS route and that was apparently not enough to make contunation of the product financially feasable. Or maybe IPTV is just way more inexpensive even after overhead.

Still, as was my concern from the start, it seems like this structure is pretty much geared to the beliver and is not actually an evangelistic outreach and probably can never be. And that's a real shame. I was hopeful that the DBS product would eventually be offered for free had things went a certain way for the better. In fact, better still if it could have been offered in the clear even without a DBS subscription of any sort as some barker channels are. But considering that this IPTV product is keyed to a particular subscription box I don't see how unbelievers would ever be able to chance upon the content and begin to question their relationship to Jesus Christ.

Isn't most Christian programming, even on cable or satellite systems, viewed primarily by believers? Don't discount the fact that if I as a believer am a "self-feeder," regularly taking in the programming that will help me grow as a believer, I am becoming a person who will have greater impact for Christ in my particular universe.

The first statement in the well-known book, "Purpose-Driven Life," is "It's not about you." When I studied the parts of that book that dealt with my own personal growth through Bible study, prayer, etc., I realized that even that growth is not really about me. God doesn't want me to mature and become Christ-like just so I'll enjoy my life more. He wants me to do that so I will reflect Him more accurately and more powerfully to those around me who do not know Him. In that sense, Sky Angel programming does serve an evangelistic purpose.

I tend to think that there was once a vision that non-believers would happen upon the content and eventually embrace it. However, the reality of this happening with the overhead of setting up a system for a specific purpose (not originally intended for religious purposes) is a big hurdle to overcome in getting those non-believers on board. Had such content been offered freely on mediums that are widely used by non-believers (OTA?), then this might have been more successful in such an endeavor.

As I tend to think along the same lines as jholland, I do find that even getting believers to embrace religious programming to be an issue at times. As I wish to help others in their growth as well, I find myself suggesting avenues that I've taken in order to obtain further glimpses of the truth through religious programming, I find that those who would benefit most generally are not open to paying for something that they haven't evolved in their own personal spirituality enough to envision the benefits. With that being the case, I'm glad that there are FTA programming outlets that I can suggest - as I can generally acquire the parts necessary for basic FTA programming for well under $50 and a little scrounging time. With a $50 donation from my pocket and a little of my time, I've seen several people embrace religious programming to at least some degree, which is something that I don't believe would have been possible through a pay-tv service.

In my market the only Christian channels are TBN, Daystar, and CTV - all of which are available OTA anyway. At least the last I checked.

I doubt they would ever carry a station like TCT, which is mom's favorite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts