Sacramento HD Locals problem....

sno543

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2006
Modesto, Ca
Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with 3, 10 and 13 in HD. It has been horrible here, going in & out constantly.

Thanks in advance for any info. Just need to know if I need someone to come look at it. All other HD channels seem to be fine.

I just started having problems with Fox 40 in HD. I've got a Dish Network (DN) 811 receiver and all my ota signal's have been in the mid 80s. Last week DN pushed a software update, which I freakin hate :mad: cause they ALWAYS screw something up! Low and behold after the update no Fox 40 all other HD ota signals (3,6,10,13,19,29,31,58) are just fine.

I attempt to manually add the frequency as shown from http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Stations.aspx
and DN picks up channel 6. I don't understand what's going on? Have the off-air frequencys changes?

Any ideas.

No problems here. KOVR has a glitch that freezes at exactly 7:45, but they are aware of it and trying to remedy it. With KCRA OTA I have a skipping problem on recorded and paused material, but it doesn't happen on the sat feed. Dish engineering is aware of that and is trying to come up with a fix. 10 and 40 are pretty flawless for me.

S~

I get my Sacramento Locals via OTA and have never had a problem except the one with KCRA that teachsac has highlighted. Perhaps it is a DN problem?

Sometimes 10 or 13 make my 811 receiver lockup and reboot. I have a hard time orienting the antenna where all the channels are strong. usually one or two usually 58 seems to drop off when all the others are ok.

Other than the KCRA problem, I've had no problems with OTA channels. I record at least something from all of the OTA networks, and all but KCRA I use the OTA channels.

Is it just me, or does the LiL KCRA-DT look like crap? I watched "Studio 60" from Monday night, and the overall picture looked horrible. It was washed out, not sharp, and just didn't look good. I don't have an OTA recording to compare to, however, and this is the first time I've recorded S60 via the LiL.

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with 3, 10 and 13 in HD. It has been horrible here, going in & out constantly.

Thanks in advance for any info. Just need to know if I need someone to come look at it. All other HD channels seem to be fine.

are you using ota or Local in Local? and what city are you in trying to recive the sac channels via ota if you are using ota? I have a 942 and I am using sac locals Via OTA here in Turlock, here the antenna needs to be aimed in different directions for best signal on different channels, 3, 6 and 31 are one way, and a couple degrees off is 10, 13, and 40.. 58 tends to be pretty strong regardless.. but then I am just over 60 miles from the transmitters and I have a big antenna with a pre amp for my HD locals, I get the fresno channels too when I turn the antenna around, as well as some of the san fransisco channels.... Hell with Local in local, I have local out of local with a good big antenna.. the only problems I have are with 40 and 31, 31.1 digital is broadcast on 21, 21 is an analog channel out of merced that does Univision, so there is interference bad. My problem with 40 is that the police station is about a block away and every other time they key up that trunked radio system, it bleeds into high UHF and kills my signal.

Please help

Chedarbob,
I live in Ceres and I have a 942. However I am not currently subscribed to any HD package. Can I still get OTA channels out of SAC without a subscription? If so then where can I pick up an antenna like yours? I was using the old Voom receiver and the OTA antenna it cam with but the electric device (probably the amp) that attaches to the antenna has now malfunctioned. I want to watch the superbowl in HD.

Chedarbob,
I live in Ceres and I have a 942. However I am not currently subscribed to any HD package. Can I still get OTA channels out of SAC without a subscription? If so then where can I pick up an antenna like yours? I was using the old Voom receiver and the OTA antenna it cam with but the electric device (probably the amp) that attaches to the antenna has now malfunctioned. I want to watch the superbowl in HD.

Is the box currently subbed to some programming? If so, then the OTA tuner will still let you get the OTA networks via antenna. 942 won't work for the Dish HD LiL feeds.

If you have SD locals via Dish, then you should get the EPG info on them as well. I've never had a 942 so I can't speak on the specifics of that box, but the OTA tuner should work as long as the box is subbed to some programming.

Yes the 942 is currently subbed to just the SD pachage. Now I still have the old Voom antenna but teh pre-amp is bad. What do I need to use this same OTA antennal with my 942? Can I pick up another pre-amp somewhere or can I just run it straight to the 942. I woud need some type of adapter from the two wires going to the antenna to the Coax cable. Please help.

Yes the 942 is currently subbed to just the SD pachage. Now I still have the old Voom antenna but teh pre-amp is bad. What do I need to use this same OTA antennal with my 942? Can I pick up another pre-amp somewhere or can I just run it straight to the 942. I woud need some type of adapter from the two wires going to the antenna to the Coax cable. Please help.

You might not even need a pre-amp in Clovis. The antenna farm is in Walnut Grove, so it's mostly flatland between you and the towers. If you do need one, check out Radio Shack first, as they are close to you. Otherwise, Fry's usually has a few channelmaster pre-amps on the shelf.

Combining the two wires into one is easy. Again Radio Shack to the rescue! Assuming the wires terminate indoors, there is a cheap little combiner that converts the two wires to a coax. That will either fit right onto the antenna input, or you can use a coax joiner and run coax from that point right to the input on your 942.

Chedarbob,

Ok Foldie, you can use the OTA on the 942 for high def even though you don't sub to high def content, for an antenna, I bought off ebay, but you can call cox antenna out of modesto, and he might be able to hook you up quick, or you can get a good UHF Yagi from radio shack, and a preamp, those are about 60, run with a dedicated line, and you will have locals, I have a home made antenna that would get you up and running for temporary if you want it, I don't need it anymore, as I built it for proof of concept. let me know

I already have an antenna that came with my old Voom service but the pre-amp is messed up. I think I can just pick up a pre-amp at Radio Shack and that should work with my antenna. My antenna is square in size about 3ft x 4ft. I think it is a channel master.

I already have an antenna that came with my old Voom service but the pre-amp is messed up. I think I can just pick up a pre-amp at Radio Shack and that should work with my antenna. My antenna is square in size about 3ft x 4ft. I think it is a channel master.

Dont waste your money on the radioshack garbage, their preamps are noisy as hell, I know, I am using one and its killing my signal, don't get me wrong, it helps, but not as much as a better amp that you can usually get cheaper off of fleabay, Channel master 7775 is a good one for UHF only, but you may want to wait for the Channel master 7777 to come back into stock, as CBS and PBS are gonna be broadcast HD in VHF after the change over in '09... Plus those square antenna's work, but are never reliable in our area, if you were in north modesto it would be better, but ceres is closer to fringe, you would be better off with a nicer antenna, in ceres you are still about 50 miles from the transmitters, so more gain is always better, Big antenna's are the way of the Future :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)