Sailboat Dish Installation

bigec2002

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
Does anyone have any tips for installing a small dish i.e dish or directv on a sailboat?? Of course it wouldnt be for when out at sea but when in docked in port at a slip, or maybe when anchored depending on sea conditions. I've heard of mounts on a servo motor which is controlled on signal strength but sounds pricey. Also, when in port will minimal wave variations affect the incoming signal to a degree where it will disrrupt the incoming picture?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bigec2002 said:
Does anyone have any tips for installing a small dish i.e dish or directv on a sailboat?? Of course it wouldnt be for when out at sea but when in docked in port at a slip, or maybe when anchored depending on sea conditions. I've heard of mounts on a servo motor which is controlled on signal strength but sounds pricey. Also, when in port will minimal wave variations affect the incoming signal to a degree where it will disrrupt the incoming picture?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Most people that I've seen with dishes for their boats have mounted the dish on post attached to the dock.

Going to be hard to keep it on signal. DTV does make a device that goes on the top of a car or van that will stay locked when driving down the road but it is pricey.

bigec2002 said:
Also, when in port will minimal wave variations affect the incoming signal to a degree where it will disrrupt the incoming picture?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think so.... Even with a normal dish mount, you can "push" on the dish itself enough to decrease the signal, so yes,
even slight movements will be a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts