Samsung DLP deal @ Best Buy

Buy the extended warranty. Just had the expensive optical block replaced in my 1 year old sammy DLP. They are terribly cheaply constructed. Mirrors in the light tunnel actually held in place with adhesive tape.

my cousin got one and its now one years old and he's never had a problem. It looks amazing and just as good as day one. So they are good.

Pictures on dlps are very good. If you have never owned one though be prepared to buy a few replacement bulbs. Cost around $200.

I did this deal last yr with madden 07 and we love are sammy dlp. The colors are extremely vivid compared to my JVC dila and Panny 100xu projector.

Have had not problems at all 1 1/2 yrs old. I referred our same model to two friends and they love their sammys also.

Good Luck

Buy the extended warranty....I have a 56" 1080p dlp and the light disappear on the right 2" of the screen. The tech came out and replaced the light engine. I asked if I didnt have the service plan what would it have cost me. The tech replied 1100 bucks. I was a bit skeptical so I looked up the prices online and he was on point. The best money I ever spent...when I only planned to get a bulb replacement out of the deal.

Buy the extended warranty....I have a 56" 1080p dlp and the light disappear on the right 2" of the screen. The tech came out and replaced the light engine. I asked if I didnt have the service plan what would it have cost me. The tech replied 1100 bucks. I was a bit skeptical so I looked up the prices online and he was on point. The best money I ever spent...when I only planned to get a bulb replacement out of the deal.
ANd what do you do after your 3 year extended warranty is over? Toss it in the trash? The best bet is do not buy Samsung DLP.

I know a handful of people that bought Samsung DLPs in Costco (here in Canada) over the last 3 years (HLP, HLR, HLS, 720p, 1080p).
One of them had a high pitched noise (color wheel?) a few months after purchase. The light engine was replaced. Nobody else had any problems with them.

Needless to say there is no other TV (in the same price range) that is more HTPC friendly: easy 1:1 mapping, no ridiculous 766 or 768 lines of resolution, well known service menu codes, etc.

Go for it! From what I know you have no more risk with them than any other brand name. And their service is well above average (at least around here).
Have you ever seen a single TV/projector model discussed on AVS that wasn't claimed to be complete trash?

Diogen.

attachment.php

item 18 is the culprit.

here's how to fix it:

Well Boys and Girls I decided tonight to try and see if I could remedy my shadow problem on my own. I tore my tv apart and can say that the problem is definitely with the light tunnel. First I removed the light engine. Next there was a cover over the main lens. I them proced to remove the color wheel assy. The mirror tunnel is the end of a small lens assy to the left of the color wheel assy. When I moved it I could hear a small rattling noise. There is a small metal plate on the end of the assy that holds the tunnel in. Also two screws on the sides. While I was looking at it a small mirror fell out of it. It was about 2 in long by maybe a quarter inch. I knew I was screwed now. The mirror that fell out had double sided tape on the back and that is apparantly what causes the problem in the first place. All four mirrors are inside of a metal tube that is held together by a clip and two spring that are wrapped around it. I took it all apart and noticed that only two to the mirrors had the tape on the back the other two are just held in by pressure. That is the problem with these pieces of crap. There needs to be some glue on the back of these things. At this point I was thinking I would just have to order a new light tunnel, but didnt want to be without a tv for a week. I got out the super glue and went to work. At this point I should say that Under No circumstances would I recommend repairing one of these things. If someone wants to try fixing this then order a new tunnel BEFORE you take this apart. I spent the better part of an hour glueing the mirrors in and it is impossible to get them in the right place or to do it without getting some glue/fingerprints on the face of mirrors. I put everything back together and turned the set on. I fully expected the shadow to be worse or covering the whole screen. To my suprise the shadow from the left side was gone. Now for the bad news. Along the top of the screen I now have some kind of smudges/ waves that must be something on the mirrors. Well Im off to order a new mirror tunnel now. I took a few pics if anyone wants to see them.

really?

Shadow on left of Samsung DLP screen - AVS Forum

this is caused by the mirrors creeping out of position in the light tunnel. AVS has an entire Samsung DLP Shadow "club"

That is a tape coming loos that holds a mirror in place. They have changed the type of tape in the replacements and now require service men to re-tape it and not replace the engine.

The other problem can be the back cover was not put on correctly and the interlock switch is facing the wrong direction, the result, as the cover heats up, is that the set turns off. As it cools, it comes on again to just happen again. A simple fix is to make sure the switch is facing the right way when the cover is put on (or the set is made).

If you can, I'd STRONGLY recommend getting a Samsung LED DLP unit. With the new LED ones, there is no color wheel or light engine--a huge plus in terms of the noise created by the color wheel, or the rainbow effect, etc. I've got a 61" LED DLP Sammy and love it.

That is a tape coming loos that holds a mirror in place. They have changed the type of tape in the replacements and now require service men to re-tape it and not replace the engine.
Want to hear another good one? The first replacement engine from Samsung wouldnt even fire up causing a 30 day delay in getting this thing fixed. Im telling you, quality control is job zero (it doesnt exist) at samsung

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)