Samsung LCD resets DISH 722K after daily program updates

ccnvw

Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Northern Nevada
DISH 722k, 3rd unit, connected to Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI (second cable).
HDMI works fine all day with TV turned on and off multiple times.
However, immediately after the DISH program download, the DISH receiver malfunctions.
The receiver yellow 'mode' light comes on and no subsequent programs are recorded.
When the TV is turned on, at first there is no program info. After about 30 seconds the program info is recognized an the DISH and TV work normally until the next program download.
About 1/3rd of the time, when the TV is first turned on in the morning, the DISH also has to reacquire the satellites.

DISH phone tech support sent a replacement 722k No change.
When I asked them to again address the problem, they sent a technician out. He checked all the cables, installed new DISH antenna pickups, and a replacement 722k (new, not refurbished). No change. The tech has given up.
Called Samsung tech support. They gave up.

So, back to the basics. I disconnected all connections to the 722K except the satellite feed. 722k did downloads correctly.
I tried connecting the LCD and 722k by composite RCA (not component). Downloads worked and system started correctly.
I tried a new HDMI cable, and in all three Samsung HDMI jacks. 722k failed after TV turned on post-downloads.

So, apparently there is a handshake problem between the 722k and Samsung HDMI that affects the 722K 'wakeup' after program downloads. After the 722k is 'kickstarted' post downloads, the HDMI video and audio are first rate.

Has anyone else had this problem? It appears I can bypass the problem by using component video, but, I'd really like to connect the TV and 722K by HDMI if at all possible.

I find it troubling that none of the contacted tech support folks suggested that the HDMI could be the problem the DISH failing to work after downloads. DISH telephone support (level II) never suggested testing the units without the HDMI. Nor did the onsite technician. All they could suggest is continuing to replace the 722ks, and gave up when that did not solve the problem. The answer from all forms of DISH support was that they 'never' saw such an issue before.:confused:

Have you considered that the problem is probably the TV and not the 722k?

Contact the manufacturer and see if there is a firmware update that might fix the problem.

It might be as simple as a change in the settings on the TV.

My Toshiba 57" RPCRT had a problem with video disappearing on HDMI and a change in the setup of the TV fixed the problem.

In the interim, use component/Toslink connections, same HD, same DD5.1 or unplug the HDMI at night and reconnect it every morning.

current status

Yes, after doing the diagnostics by replacing the connections one by one, it seems that the problem is most likely the TV, which, of course, is off warranty. ;-)
I'll be talking to Samsung's advanced tech support to see what might be done.
In the interim, a component cable is providing the HD signal to the TV with no problem so far.

My beef with DISH is that they never considered the HDMI connection as the problem-- neither several DISH phone tech support folks, including an 'advanced engineering' tech. nor the local technician during two on-site visits. Seems like they would have been the ones to suggest trying an alternative to the HDMI rather than just blindly replacing receivers and other DISH components. The DISH phone reps never asked how the units were connected. The local tech saw the HDMI connection but never considered that as the issue.

Yes, after doing the diagnostics by replacing the connections one by one, it seems that the problem is most likely the TV, which, of course, is off warranty. ;-)
I'll be talking to Samsung's advanced tech support to see what might be done.
In the interim, a component cable is providing the HD signal to the TV with no problem so far.

My beef with DISH is that they never considered the HDMI connection as the problem-- neither several DISH phone tech support folks, including an 'advanced engineering' tech. nor the local technician during two on-site visits. Seems like they would have been the ones to suggest trying an alternative to the HDMI rather than just blindly replacing receivers and other DISH components. The DISH phone reps never asked how the units were connected. The local tech saw the HDMI connection but never considered that as the issue.

What state do you live in because I just did a few service calls last week with the same issue.

No, there is no connection between the Samsung TV and the internet. "Anynet' is not turned on on the TV. The TV does no updates.

I've reset the update time on the 722K to mid afternoon from the default 3 am to see what is happening when connected to the Samsung by HDMI.
o The Samsung is plugged in but "off", that is it is in standby to receive IR signals from a remote but otherwise off.
o The 722k receiver is turned off at the remote, ie also in standby. No LED lights on on the 722K.
o At the set time for program updates the 722k disk drive activates to do the program update- I can hear it running. It runs for several minutes then shuts down.
o About 30 seconds later the 722 'mode' LED (yellow on the right) activates.
o When the Samsung is subsequently turned on, whether by its remote or the DISH remote, the yellow LED on the 722k goes off.
o When the 722K is activated by its remote, it usually comes up with no program update showing for 30 to 45 seconds-- shows "no info", and any scheduled programs to be recorded after the time set for the program update have not been recorded.
About 1/3rd of the time when the 722 is activated by its remote, it resets completely and has to reacquire the satelites.
o After the 35 to 45 second delay, the updated program info suddenly shows up on guide and any events that were set to be recorded at the time the 722 was turned on but skipped start recording. So, the 722k download of the program guide to the hard disk was successful, but for some reason not transfered to its active program memory.

If the TV is unplugged, or connected by component video in stead of HDMI, or the HDMI cable is unplugged from either the TV or the 722k, there is no problem.

With the connection by HDMI, there is no problem anytime during the day other than immediately after the 722K program download. It does not matter which of the 3 Samsung HDMI jacks are used. Changing the HDMI cable had no effect. Except for this issue of restarting the 722k after program updates, the HDMI audio and video quality is excellent.

Seems to me that there is some voltage coming over from the TV to the 722K via HDIM that screws up the 722 restart after the daily downloads.

As one with no technical knowledge of the HDMI signals, it seems to me that there should be some way of testing the HDMI from the TV to see what pins are 'live' when the TV is 'off" and DISH should be able to determine how this is screwing up the 722k from recovering after program downloads.

As one trained to respond to customer issues, it also seems to me that the DISH tech folks would be interested in resolving the problem. So far it cost them two 722k replacements and about 6 hours of on-site tech time, and 5 tech support calls. During which they never tumbled to the issue being the HDMI connection.

Samsung Level I telephone tech support could not help other than suggesting resetting the TV, which accomplished nothing.
I'll talk to the Samsung Level II folks after New Years.

Obviously I could just forget the entire issue and live with the functional component video connection. However it bugs me that this HDMI problem should be able to be correctly diagnosed and corrected by Samsung, DISH, or both.

Happy New Year!

Actually neither the 722k or the Sammy connection is ever off. They are just in stand by mode. It sounds like to me that there is a error of communications that takes place tween the 2 during the update.

hay new hear i had a customer about 2 weeks ago they went through 3 612s because it was freezing (i know not same issue but maybe related) after troubleshooting the HDMI inputs was puting out voltage but only the HDMI inputs so check that out

The problem is related to the Samsung Anynet+. Anynet+ does not have anything to do with the internet. It allows the Samsung LN32A550 to control other devices (HDMI-CEC) that are connected to the television by HDMI cables. Make sure that that the Anynet+ function in the television is set to off mode. Below are the instructions from the manual to turn on or off this function.

To use the Anynet+ Function, Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) must be set to On
1. Press the MENU button. Press the ? or ? button to select “Application”,
then press the ENTER button.
2. Press the ? or ? button to select “Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)”, then press the
ENTER button.
3. Press the ENTER button to select “Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)”.
4. Press the ? or ? button to select “On”, then press the ENTER button.
The “Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)” function is enabled.
If you select Off, “Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)” is disabled.
When the “Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)” function is disabled, all the Anynet+
related operations are deactivated.

If Anynet+ is not on you are probably out of luck. Anynet+ is primarily designed to work with other Samsung equipment. Problems with other equipment have been documented.

Good luck.

Re: Anynet+
Thanks for the suggestion. Anynet+ was turned 'on'. However, turning it off while the TV was connected to the DISH via HDMI did not solve the problem. Same behavior- DISH 722k does not successfully recover from the program download cycle. It appears to freeze after the download to hard disk. When TV and DISH turned on, it takes 30-45 seconds to pull the program guide into active memory and restart any recordings scheduled between the time of the download and TV turned back on from standby.

Next step is to see if the Samsung Level II support folks have any suggestions.... Picture quality using HDMI is perceptually better than via component cables.

OK, thanks for all the input! I give up. Samsung Level II tech support said to call an on-site tech (at my expense since the TV is off warranty). I'll just live with using the component video cables...

OK, thanks for all the input! I give up. Samsung Level II tech support said to call an on-site tech (at my expense since the TV is off warranty). I'll just live with using the component video cables...

It is really starting to sound like the com section on the Sammy has a problem. How far out of warranty is it. I'm not sure but if you have records of this happening during warranty then they may have to fix it as in warranty anyway.

Hey there. Just checking in. I have seen this issue multiple times. Did the issue start with the installation or did it start around the end of October or beginning of November? I know its a strange question but I might be able to help, or at least offer some insight.

When did it start? An interesting question- around the end of October or early November.

We were traveling and discovered when we got home that two weeks of programs had not been recorded.

Our first thought was that it was related to a DISH software upgrade that happened around then. However, after replacing two DISH 722k receivers to no avail, both with the latest software, and both the several DISH phone techs as well as the on-site tech insisting we were the "only one reporting this problem", we turned our attention to the TV.

As to the Samsung warranty, no the TV had been off warranty for a year before this happened.

This is why I prefer component for DISH Network/Cable boxes because of HDCP, handshake, and various other issues. Though I prefer HDMI for blu-ray players, computers and game consoles.

Save yourself the Samsung repairman at this time. I would like to get with my engineers and show them the information provided in this thread. I have seen this, starting in roughly the same time frame, and that makes me think that I can help you (and hey, its free). I do apologize for the inconvenience but I am VERY grateful for the footwork you did, as I could not get my callers to experiment with me on a fix, with most demanding a replacement and the issue remaining upon follow-up. It is not often I had dialogue with someone comfortable with cables. Thank you so much, and again, spare yourself the out-of-pocket at this time and I will see what I can do from my end.

BTW, you are not the only one reporting this issue, which is where I got the months it would have started, prior to you posting it.

To further clarify, there have been other reported issues where HDMI cables, although not directly responsible for the issue, have allowed an issue to make itself known. HDMI allows for two-way communication between devices. Previously, issues such as HDCP triggering errors with certain TV's using the HDMI connections have become known. Thanks for your patience so far, and I truly am sorry for the inconvenience. Any other information you have regarding please PM me, as the more information I have to give my guys is directly related to the likelihood I can get this resolved.

Last edited:
Hello, I stumbled upon this thread a week ago. I too have been plagued with this exact problem with my DN receivers. It started around October 2010, seemed to coincide with the update that added OnDemand movies to the DVR screen. Anyway, we had techinicians at our home twice (they checked everything and could find nothing wrong) and our receivers have been replaced three times since it started. We have two receivers and both were affected, and they are both connected to Samsung LCD televisions. We had literally tried everything. When I found this forum, I decided to try replacing the HDMI cable with component and now it seems to be working fine. I am anxious for a resolution that will allow me to re-connect via HDMI, though. If anyone has any new information on this issue, please advise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)