Satellite 129 and Wally Receiver - HELP!

tmlaughton

Original poster
Jul 27, 2018
michigan
We have a Wally receiver that is hooked up to our permanent RV, the dish is on a pole and is not portable. And for the life of me, I cannot get satellite 129 to come in, we do not have any HD channels. When calling in to Dish, they always transfer me to the Dish Outdoors division and they always direct me to hiring an outside company to come out and work on the dish. I have explained the set up to them countless times and the result is always the same. We have done all the normal and usual fixes, (reset, unplug, etc) and they do no good. We have also tried to make adjustments in the dish itself but we still cannot get in Sat 129; we are on the Western arc and our zip code is 48635. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

We have a Wally receiver that is hooked up to our permanent RV, the dish is on a pole and is not portable. And for the life of me, I cannot get satellite 129 to come in, we do not have any HD channels. When calling in to Dish, they always transfer me to the Dish Outdoors division and they always direct me to hiring an outside company to come out and work on the dish. I have explained the set up to them countless times and the result is always the same. We have done all the normal and usual fixes, (reset, unplug, etc) and they do no good. We have also tried to make adjustments in the dish itself but we still cannot get in Sat 129; we are on the Western arc and our zip code is 48635. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

You should probably do what Dish has told you 'countless times' and contact a local retailer to come work on your dish.

Because you are in a RV your support comes from the outdoor division because they are more familiar with RV problems. A service call is suggested for hands on repairs, you may have a simple connection problem or a major blockage of the signal. If the tech. can see the problem it may be much simpler to repair.

From your description of the installation the pole is my first guess without seeing it. The satellite you are trying to receive is about the size of a van, 22,300 miles out from the Equater. 129 is one of 3 satellites you need to get signals from, a slight error on the ground could mean receiving 2 satellites but missing the third. 1/64th of an inch on the ground could be miles off 22,300 miles out in space.

Reactions: HipKat
I guess my question is then - right now we have a 1000.2 LNB and have 2 leads (cables) coming out of the dish, do we need a 3rd cable in order to get the 129 satellite?

IIRC, the WA 1000.2 has a built in switch, so a Wally/211 only needs one line from the dish.

How does you system join the two lines into one at the back of your Wally?

If you have a DP34 switch try a line directly from the lnb to the back of the Wally since the DP34 is shutting down the internal switch in the 1000.2, or you can add a 3rd line from the dish to the DP 34.

It's been a while since I had a 211 with a WA1000.2 but that is my recollection.

Reactions: pattykay
IIRC, the WA 1000.2 has a built in switch, so a Wally/211 only needs one line from the dish.

How does you system join the two lines into one at the back of your Wally?

If you have a DP34 switch try a line directly from the lnb to the back of the Wally since the DP34 is shutting down the internal switch in the 1000.2, or you can add a 3rd line from the dish to the DP 34.

It's been a while since I had a 211 with a WA1000.2 but that is my recollection.
The 2 lines probably run to a ground block, then 1 to the Wally, which means the installer did it right

The 129 elevation for your part of MI is about 22 degrees. Are you sure you have a clear line of sight at that elevation? No trees in the way?

Unfortunely that DP34 switch won't work on a Wally type HD receiver you probably may need to look into a western arc DPH LNB and with a switch that calls for a different type called a DPH42 Switch and a solo hub (not node).

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm inclined to agree with NYDutch......Get yourself an app called Satellite Pointer..It's free and pretty accurate for getting you close..or at least show you if you have a clear line of sight.. I'm in ohio and have not been able to receive the 129 in more locations than I have been able to receive it..wish dish would get their s#+t together and put the locals for us in the east on the eastern arc!!!!

I'm inclined to agree with NYDutch......Get yourself an app called Satellite Pointer..It's free and pretty accurate for getting you close..or at least show you if you have a clear line of sight.. I'm in ohio and have not been able to receive the 129 in more locations than I have been able to receive it..wish dish would get their s#+t together and put the locals for us in the east on the eastern arc!!!!
After 2 months of working in the Columbus market, I fully concur and what really crazy isn't just that the locals are on the 129, there's no SD locals on 110. I relocated more dishes and turned down more jobs for LOS, and put up more wing dishes for the 129 in the last 2 months than I think I have in the last 2 years. It's just stupid that market is on WA only

Unfortunely that DP34 switch won't work on a Wally type HD receiver you probably may need to look into a western arc DPH LNB and with a switch that calls for a different type called a DPH42 Switch and a solo hub (not node).
Huh? The DPH-42 Switch converts a DPP LNBF head so it acts like a DPH LNBF. If you have a DPH LNBF, you don't need the DPH-42 Switch.

But a DPH LNBF won't see through an obstacle any better than a DPP LNBF head.

I guess my question is then - right now we have a 1000.2 LNB and have 2 leads (cables) coming out of the dish, do we need a 3rd cable in order to get the 129 satellite?
Was this professionally installed? Your descriptions of two cables coming from the dish sounds like a self install. Call a professional.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Huh? The DPH-42 Switch converts a DPP LNBF head so it acts like a DPH LNBF. If you have a DPH LNBF, you don't need the DPH-42 Switch.

But a DPH LNBF won't see through an obstacle any better than a DPP LNBF head.

Huh is right! There were so many things wrong with the post you referenced it's scary. And the scariest thing is that I think that's a Dish 'tech' that posted it. :eeek

A DPH LNB is not required for a Wally. A DPH42 switch will not work with a DPH LNB, that switch requires DPP LNBs. A Wally has absolutely no use for any type of hub or node. That is a short list of the things that were wrong with that post.

Was this professionally installed? Your descriptions of two cables coming from the dish sounds like a self install. Call a professional.
No, it's doesn't. The correct way to run cable from a Dish using anything but a Hybrid LNBF is to run Dual cable to a ground block, even if the customer is only installing 1 receiver.. This is in case there is ever need for a 2nd receiver. It's how it's always been, but a lot of lazy techs only run single cable from he LNB when the Customer is only getting 1 receiver and most of the time, it's not even single with a messenger, so the Dish isn't even part of the grounding. It always drives me crazy when I have to go to a job where the customer is adding a receiver and only has 1 and there's only 1 cable coming from the LNBF

No, it's doesn't. The correct way to run cable from a Dish using anything but a Hybrid LNBF is to run Dual cable to a ground block, even if the customer is only installing 1 receiver.. This is in case there is ever need for a 2nd receiver. It's how it's always been, but a lot of lazy techs only run single cable from he LNB when the Customer is only getting 1 receiver and most of the time, it's not even single with a messenger, so the Dish isn't even part of the grounding. It always drives me crazy when I have to go to a job where the customer is adding a receiver and only has 1 and there's only 1 cable coming from the LNBF
When my EA 1000.4 and ViP722k was installed, they ran dual cable to the grounding block, which is in the basement, quite far away from the dish. I always assumed that was because of the two tuners in the ViP722k, or perhaps because there was still a ViP211 on my account (which I was removing when I added the ViP722k) and they thought that they would also be hooking up the ViP211. In any event, I considered myself fortunate to have the extra cable ran that far, since it really helped when I finally did add another receiver to my EA dish. It is good to know that that is the way the job is supposed to be done, even in a single-receiver installation. :)

Yep, a dual with messenger from the dish to the ground block is the way it's supposed to be and the way we've always done it as well. We often see those single wires with no messenger and it makes me crazy too. :coco

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)