Satellite alignment troubles

tonyp56

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 13, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
OK, originally signed up for Directway in December of 2005... The installer installed dish on pole mount and to be honest things have never been good. Least little bit of wind and signal would drop. Almost any amount of rain and I would loose connection all together. First of all, I've called Hughesnet several times (less than a week after install was one of the many) and hughesnet would (then Directway) never do anything, because "signal is within acceptable range" or "it is normal to loose signal in rain". Poll is movable, and everytime the wind blows it kills my signal and I have to go out and try to re-position pole.

OK, about 4 months ago I upgraded my modem to the Hughesnet 7000S modem (original was a 7000) and ever since my signal strength has been lower (in lower 60's) however, my cross-pole has been being in the 70's on clear days... Though I was losing signal when it rain etc. I was ok with it. Anyways, I was mowing my yard about a month ago and bumped into poll. Then my cross-pole tanked but still worked (67ish).

In the last week or so, I have been losing signal regularly... If I try to do a cross-pole test it fails and then nothing works. Go out and the best that I can get is low, low, low 60's on cross-pole and 50's for signal strength (on clear days!!!)

I am well out of warranty (new warranty only covers 7000s correct?) and have looked over the dish outside and find no major issues. Except on the feedhorn part that has a clear lense facing dish, it is clouded up and almost looks like it is full of some sort of debree... Have no idea how, what, etc. because it appears sealed. Pole, of course, is very loose in ground (wind barely blowing rocks the whole assembly) and out of plumb I am sure (sorry, haven't had the chance to check). If I try moving pole, signal gets worse, not better (tried moving back, forward, left, and right and everytime signal got worse).

Therefore, I am wondering if something got inside feedhorn. Or, is it possilbe to have a dying 7000s? Because no matter what I've done (all that worked in the past) signal won't do any better than what I have it right now. Tilt and elevation are set to what it calls for. Azimuth, unless pole is turning in ground, should not have changed. Don't recall if installer cut a 45 on end of pipe or not, even if they did, I guess it is still possible.

Anyone got any ideas? To be honest, I've always wanted to reinstall dish myself. For one, pole is not solid AT ALL, never has been, and I feel as though, no matter what I do, it will just move again the next time the wind blows.

I'm on the home plan, not sure of size and all of dish, but I'm sure the smallest available.

if your pole is that bad, it doesnt sound like its proper gauge and or even concreted (possibly an aluminum pole?). additionally, it may be correct size pole, and concreted, but it may not be far enough below grade. definitely sounds like the mount needs attention before you tackle any other issues. honestly, as techs, if there is a mount issue on a repair, thats the first thing we need to take care of. the satellite your on does play an important role in sqf, as tate is prodding you for.

pole mount should be 2" schedule 40, minimum 3' below grade, concreted from hole base right to grade level, with cross members thru pole to prevent spinning. additionally, bottom edge of reflector must be minimum 5' above grade. therefor you will need a pole that is at lest 9' in total length. i use 10 footers, usually dropping hole 3'6"- 4'. usually 125+ lbs concrete. come back with the satellite your on as tate mentioned. also post the frequency your on.

OK, sorry haven't been back in here, been messing with other stuff...

The pole was installed by tech, however, it is more or less chain link pole, (thin wall)... He did use concrete to install, however, one of those pour concrete mix into hole, pour water into hole, and mix... (which doesn't work correctly, I'm sorry, done enough concrete work to know, it is hard to get mixed up outside of a hole, let alone in hole in ground).

My satellite is 89 west and my receive frequency is 1390.

What I am thinking about doing is digging a hole next to the pole (about 2 feet away, got plenty of coax under trailer that installer left coiled up laying on ground) and getting my own piece of pipe (work in steel shop so shouldn't be an issue, know what SCH40 is and know it needs to be about 9' so that I can have at least 6' above ground, and about 3 foot under--currently I can walk under dish without it touching my head, and I'm 6' tall, so need at least 6' above ground) get it plumb and let it dry. Then after about 2-3 days of letting it dry, take my dish down, unbury cable, and move over to new pole. re-bury cable, and then re-aim dish... (In doing this I know i have to unplug modem from inside of the house so transmitter won't try to transmit)

According to antenna pointing values, I need to set elevation to 47.4 degrees (it is sitting just past 47, so most likely won't even touch, unless I need to fine adjust) polorazation is supposed to be -10.4 (again, sitting just past -10, so should be close enough) and azimuth is supposed to be 161.7 degrees. Know I can play with those values to get the strongest signal, but should get me a ball park...

I made up a guy-wire and was able to level pole up for now... (It was leaning forward, about half-bubble out of plumb, pulled it back and slightly to the left--also leaned to the right slightly and signal is much better... This is temp, until I can change out pole... Before when i was moving pole, it was moving in right position, however, when I released the pole it would fall forward further, which caused the decrease in signal (if you barely moved, you could get it to stay in better position, which gave better signal. Getting a guy-wire and level and being able to see how straight the pole is, helped me get it straight and now signal is better. (it has been raining, my signal right now is the same as it was the other day when it was perfectly clear (around 52-55)...

Anyways, if there is anything else I need to know, let me know thanks... And sorry I took so long to get back in here, just been busy with other stuff.

I am an installer, and have run into this problem. The pole was not put in properly, or deep enough. My fix generally is; Drill a hole at the base of the pole at or if possible below ground level, to accomidate a 60 penny or larger nail. (Barn nail about 6 inches long, 1/4 inch diameter). Pot the nail in the hole. Get come 2x4's or 2x6's and make a 2ft square box at the base of the pole. Fill with concret mix. This will firm up your pole, and it should no longer be suceptable to wind, bumps, etc.
When I pot in a new pole, it is a 10' schedule 40 steel pole, buried 3 ft in the ground, with a minimum of 80 lbs of concrete mix. I have yet to go back to repair or replace these poles. I have noted a lot of poles set that are only 2 ft in the ground and using light (Fence) steel poles.
So, for what it's worth, give it a try.

OK, sorry haven't been back in here, been messing with other stuff...

The pole was installed by tech, however, it is more or less chain link pole, (thin wall)... He did use concrete to install, however, one of those pour concrete mix into hole, pour water into hole, and mix... (which doesn't work correctly, I'm sorry, done enough concrete work to know, it is hard to get mixed up outside of a hole, let alone in hole in ground).

My satellite is 89 west and my receive frequency is 1390.

What I am thinking about doing is digging a hole next to the pole (about 2 feet away, got plenty of coax under trailer that installer left coiled up laying on ground) and getting my own piece of pipe (work in steel shop so shouldn't be an issue, know what SCH40 is and know it needs to be about 9' so that I can have at least 6' above ground, and about 3 foot under--currently I can walk under dish without it touching my head, and I'm 6' tall, so need at least 6' above ground) get it plumb and let it dry. Then after about 2-3 days of letting it dry, take my dish down, unbury cable, and move over to new pole. re-bury cable, and then re-aim dish... (In doing this I know i have to unplug modem from inside of the house so transmitter won't try to transmit)

According to antenna pointing values, I need to set elevation to 47.4 degrees (it is sitting just past 47, so most likely won't even touch, unless I need to fine adjust) polorazation is supposed to be -10.4 (again, sitting just past -10, so should be close enough) and azimuth is supposed to be 161.7 degrees. Know I can play with those values to get the strongest signal, but should get me a ball park...

I made up a guy-wire and was able to level pole up for now... (It was leaning forward, about half-bubble out of plumb, pulled it back and slightly to the left--also leaned to the right slightly and signal is much better... This is temp, until I can change out pole... Before when i was moving pole, it was moving in right position, however, when I released the pole it would fall forward further, which caused the decrease in signal (if you barely moved, you could get it to stay in better position, which gave better signal. Getting a guy-wire and level and being able to see how straight the pole is, helped me get it straight and now signal is better. (it has been raining, my signal right now is the same as it was the other day when it was perfectly clear (around 52-55)...

Anyways, if there is anything else I need to know, let me know thanks... And sorry I took so long to get back in here, just been busy with other stuff.

Sounds like you pretty much have things under control if you do want to put a new pole in which I would suggest. The only thing is do you know were to go to pull up the signal bar? Are you going here to get your signal or just the system control center? You will also need to do a cross poll test when after you move the dish.

Sounds like you pretty much have things under control if you do want to put a new pole in which I would suggest. The only thing is do you know were to go to pull up the signal bar? Are you going here to get your signal or just the system control center? You will also need to do a cross poll test when after you move the dish.

Yes, I know where to go for signal strength and cross-poll test... (http://192.168.0.1/fs/advanced/advanced.html) click on "Installation" then select "Setup" then select "Antenna Pointing" go through prompts and I'm there... Get my signal strength the strongest I can get, then do cross-poll, and adjust polarization to get best cross-poll... And I'm done.

I am an installer, and have run into this problem. The pole was not put in properly, or deep enough. My fix generally is; Drill a hole at the base of the pole at or if possible below ground level, to accomidate a 60 penny or larger nail. (Barn nail about 6 inches long, 1/4 inch diameter). Pot the nail in the hole. Get come 2x4's or 2x6's and make a 2ft square box at the base of the pole. Fill with concret mix. This will firm up your pole, and it should no longer be suceptable to wind, bumps, etc.
When I pot in a new pole, it is a 10' schedule 40 steel pole, buried 3 ft in the ground, with a minimum of 80 lbs of concrete mix. I have yet to go back to repair or replace these poles. I have noted a lot of poles set that are only 2 ft in the ground and using light (Fence) steel poles.
So, for what it's worth, give it a try.

OK, well, this might be an alternative for me... However, with thinner wall pipe will this fix it up good enough? Thanks for the info...

I see a lot of fence posts being used, and if short enough they do work, but I'm of the opinion do it once and do it right, use schedule 40.
You might also consider placing your pole so the new system could be mounted in the same location (los 95W) in case you decide to go that route.

The guys have given you reasonable advice concerning the pole. I solidly agree with at least an 8' Sch40 in a (minimum) 3' hole. Reason? HughesNet specifies a minimum 5' dish height. Drill through the pole about 12-18" from the bottom and insert about a foot of 1/2" rebar to keep it from twisting loose once the concrete sets. Bell out the bottom of the hole if possible. I personally fill the hole with water, let it soak into the soil, then pour in 2 bags of Quikrete (make sure it covers the rebar). I don't add any more water, what's soaked into the soil has always been enough to set the concrete (around here anyway).

But don't disregard what you saw behind the feedhorn window. If it turns out to be moisture (likely), the feedhorn itself can be removed for cleaning/drying. If you wish to do this, I'll walk you through it. And by all means do NOT drill a hole in the window itself. If it turns out to be moisture, one of the waveguide joints has a bad seal. I can walk you through that too.

//greg//

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)