Satellite Channel Bandwidth...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

etalireza

Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
San Francisco
Hello Everyone,
I'm working in a TV station in California.
We are sending one of our channels on satellite over America.

My question is that if there is any website or equipment that i can use to check our bit rate with?

Right now we are sending 3 Mbps to the satellite company but we are not sure if thats the bit rate our audience receive with their receivers or not.

I appreciate if anyone can give a clue ?

Thanks!

What channel is it? Are you allowed to give out the parameters like frequency/polarity/symbol rate & satellite?

SOme folks have PC cards that can tell that info

Thanks for the info. I dont have the ability to see that info but I'm sure someone will chime in :)

The fact that you are sending 3 Mbps to the sat company does not necessarily means that they are supposed to beam that down. You basically pay a Sat operator for bandwith per time used and we do not know the details of the agreement so maybe they are getting what they pay for. who knows. Maybe they should save on the 3 Mbps link instead , lol.

For Both PBS HD channels on 12140 V transponder, the video is at 16.23 Mbps and each channel has 2 audio pids that are at 385 Kbps each.

Not a significant difference, but I just checked with TSREADER, and get slightly different values, so I'm curious what program you used to give the above? Or is it just that at different times of day it's different? Since PBS doesn't seem to use the variable bitrate stuff like CBS does, their bitrates don't seem to change very much, so I didn't expect the rates to change much with different type content. For example, there is a HD program on one of the HD channels, and an SD program on the other (or at least a 4x3 version of HD), and both give the same 17.02 bitrate right now. If that was CBS, the 4x3 version would be much lower bitrate.
I'm reading the bitrate off the bar graphs, but there is also a bitrate given up above that in TSREADER, and this says 16.616 for both. On CBS channels, I always thought that the bitrate reported above for the video was the maximum bitrate, and that the actual was usually less, because of the variable bitrate, but in this PBS case, that upper figure seems to be less. I'm not sure why? Perhaps there is null data included with the real time data below????
Anyway, I'm not sure I understand the differences in the various values.

Anyway, I'm not sure I understand the differences in the various values.

That's a good question, to make it more confusing :) I recorded PBS HD and checked the file with three versions of TSReader and Mpeg2Repair and I got similar but different values :(. The "Max" value was the same from all the programs.

Code:
TSReader (Max 16.616) 
TSR 2.6.41  -> 16.22
TSR 2.7.44  -> 16.22
TSR 2.8.46e -> 17.01

Mpeg2Repair (Max 16.62)
M2R 1.0.1.5 -> 16.61

I did the same for one of my OTA local channels that uses a constant bitrate and TSR 2.6, 2.7 both gave lover values than TSR 2.8. M2R was in the middle again.

I re-checked the ICC channel and TSReader gave 1.70 and 1.78. Mpeg2Repair gave 1.71, all programs said the "Max" was 15.0 Mbps.

That's a good question, to make it more confusing :) I recorded PBS HD and checked the file with three versions of TSReader and Mpeg2Repair and I got similar but different values :(. The "Max" value was the same from all the programs.

Code:
TSReader (Max 16.616) 
TSR 2.6.41  -> 16.22
TSR 2.7.44  -> 16.22
TSR 2.8.46e -> 17.01

......[/quote]

Interesting....  I *THOUGHT* that I had many different versions of TSREADER still on my computer, and went back to try them, but somehow the newer 2.8.46 versions had somehow replaced the files on the 2.7.46 versions, even though they were installed in different directories....  I'm REAL confused relative to how that happened....   I don't seem to have ANY 2.7.46 versions remaining, even though I have several directories labeled as these versions.   WIERD. 

However I did experiment with a few different versions, only looking at the real time stuff on the bar graphs. 

2.4.38    16.23
2.6.42    16.23
2.7.45    17.02
2.7.45b   17.02
2.7.45g   17.02

2.8.46    17.02 
2.8.46b   17.02
2.8.46f   17.02
2.8.46f recent... 17.02

So it looks like between the 2.7.44 version you tested, and the 2.7.45 version I tested, Rod must have made a change to how the calculation was done.  
So I looked at the version change info for the 2.7.45 version, and read:

"All: Corrected a problem with the PID chart where stream rates shown a Kbps or Mbps were slightly incorrect.   "

Thanks all!
Thank you qwert1515, thanks Iceberg.
We talked to satellite company and they say that there is a drop somewhere in between. So we are testing the circuit all the way to their Teleport. So i would let you know!
But qwert1515 what card and software are you using to get the information? We need to have one set on site to monitor all of our channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How much $$$$ have U spent on FTA?

Just for Fun... Polling your hobbies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts