Satellite Installer Job - scam or not?

RedHat39

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
First off I didn't know which forum was the appropriate one to post this thread in so I chose the general DN forum since the job is for being a subcontract DN installer. Mods feel free to move this thread if theres another forum section more suitable.

Anyway with that out of the way. This thread is mainly for people either A) working as a subcontract DN installer for someone else or B) anyone that hires subcontractors for installing DN. If you are either please feel free to post your answer here or PM me if you don't want your answers made public.

I am considering taking a subcontract DN installer job with Suburban Services here in my local area. I went to the interview today and while the details of the job all sounded good, as anyone would expect them to make it sound, I wanted to get some real feedback on persons that have real life experience with satellite installations.

Here is what the interviewer said/promised:

All tools and equipment are the responsibility of the subcontractor to provide. Ok I can see this and don't have any problem with that.

He said that they would sell me all of the equipment, ie ladders/ladder racks for my truck, hand tools, and diagnostic equipment for 15% of my weekly earnings till the company is paid back. Altogether about $800 worth of tools and equipment. I don't really have a problem with this either, although I'm sure they price gouge all items, I would probably go out and buy as much of the tools as I could myself from Lowes or Home Depot.

But now heres what gets me to thinking of whether this is too risky a gamble on a job or not with this company. He said I'd need a $1 million property damage and liability insurance policy and an additional $1 million rider on my car insurance to cover any vehicle related accidents while on the job. The guy said I could get this on my own or buy an "umbrella" policy from them for 10% of my weekly earnings, which he says would come out to about $400/month through them. What has been your experience with getting insurance? Should I pursue my own, knowing that this will raise my car insurance premiums because of the use of my truck for the job, or take their insurance offer?

Speaking of which he also said it should be easy to make $1000/week doing installs if I did 2/day 6 days a week. This is based on an average of $80 - $100 per install. How true is this?

I think I'd like doing this kind of work as I have installed 5 maybe 6 satellite systems for myself and family in the past. But I'm just not sure about the investment and on going costs to do this as an income. I am unemployed right now and money is tight. I can't afford to waste money if any of this is more negative than what it appears. Any helpful advice is appreciated and sorry for the long post.

Here is my experience this is how most operate and they will likely not gouge yuoon prices. I cant guarantee this but its mostly true. I avg 800-1200 depending on cancellations and such. The insurance is average priced and not a ripoff. Hope this was a help.

At the very least, I would get on the phone and start calling insurance agents for quotes. You don't have to call your own insurance company. The $400 a month seems overly inflated to me.

I don't Know about the car insurance, I did take a contract about 4 years ago for inspection of the shop fabricated steel on the Seattle Seahawk Stadium. for the contract I was required to have 1 million in property damage and liability insurance and it cost me about 950.00 a year. they took half down and let me make payments for the rest

leomarion said:
Here is my experience this is how most operate and they will likely not gouge yuoon prices. I cant guarantee this but its mostly true. I avg 800-1200 depending on cancellations and such. The insurance is average priced and not a ripoff. Hope this was a help.

Thanks yes it was. I'm not looking for any easy money or get rich quick thing. I know this will be real work with long hours. I just want some assurance that what they've told me was legit. Theres too many jobs posted in the newspapers that turn out to be scams for free labor and I wanted to make sure this wasn't one of them.

Thanks for all of your input and I will check on the insurance on my own. Any other advice you all may have as subcontractors either for DN, or any other industry, let me know. I'm totally green to this kind of work.

I'm not sure about insurance.. i'd get quotes first to compare. The 2 million policy sounds standard.

The tools are just about right.. you figure 200+ for a ladder, an inclinometer and a decent satellite meter will run another $250.

bcshields said:
I'm not sure about insurance.. i'd get quotes first to compare. The 2 million policy sounds standard.

The tools are just about right.. you figure 200+ for a ladder, an inclinometer and a decent satellite meter will run another $250.

Then You have to add for a good Hammer drill. That Can run 250-300. Then all the hand tools. You will hit 800-1000 Quickly.

One more thing you should ask is if his workmens comp will cover you. This may also something to invest in

These guys are overcharging you. I got $2,000,000 umbrella policy for $500. a year.

Get a list of the tools required by these guys and then shop around for better prices, which should be easy to find.

Texas Red said:
These guys are overcharging you. I got $2,000,000 umbrella policy for $500. a year.

Get a list of the tools required by these guys and then shop around for better prices, which should be easy to find.

Yeah I sort of figured their insurance was overpriced. I do plan on getting up a tools required list and getting as many of them as I can myself. But what about this inclinometer and a decent satellite meter that bcshields mentioned can I get those on my own at a decent price somewhere besides through them?

Oh and to leomarion they did say that I would have to pay for my own workman's comp. Thats something else I'm totally new too. I didn't know you could do that.

VOOMER said:
In my local area ? How much work will be in your local area ?

I meant the company is located in my local area. The installs I'm sure will range out quite a bit. They mentioned a fairly large coverage area. Sorry for not being more specific.

VOOMER said:

How much work will they have for you ?

We just got Dish local channels in our area so there is a big rush for Dish right now. I know of 3 people who swore they'd never leave cable switch over to Dish. So for now I believe the work is out there.

VOOMER said:

I really havent seen any installation tools at home depot or lowes that will take the every day use they are subject to when doing installs !

VOOMER said:

1 Very good drill and Variety of bits
1 Good Fiberglass extension ladder
1 Good step ladder

These are all available at either Lowes or Home Depot in good name brands. The good tools at either store are always locked up behind display cases never out on the shelf for casual shoppers.

VOOMER said:

minus $33.00 per roll RG6 Single 1000 ft - usage varies

minus $40.00 per roll RG6 Dual w/ground 500 ft - usage varies

minus $25.00 bag of 100 Digicon or similar compression fittings - usage varies

feed thru bushings/ silicone / lag bolts /Ground wire / ground blocks/ground clamps >> about 5 different styles widely used. /fast clips- dual and single /
wall plates /phone wire/ phone jacks /misc screws and hardware. Wear and tear on your Vehicle/Gas/ Cell phone bills/ and usually fax and computer- plus Printing costs for a lot of companies....
The above are weekly and daily must haves !

Ok good some more details I wasn't aware of. Thanks for this info VOOMER.

VOOMER said:

1 Good meter preferably digital
1 Suunto Inclinometer if Serious about installing full-time.
Misc. tools and a good tool belt with a lot of pockets that can be worked in comfortably.
I am sure i have left a few things out but this was just a Quicky note to Sum things up a little...

Yeah bcshields brought some of this up earlier. These I will need to check into.

VOOMER said:

Sounds like you need to arrange a ride along with a full time installer to see just how things do actually work and how things go over several days to give yourself a fair chance before commiting to being a sub contractor. If the numbers work and you think you will like it then surely try it.
:)

Well they sort of offer this at this company. They call it a training period where you get paid $50/day for 2 weeks to "ride along" and at first watch and observe. After the first few jobs they expect you to help out and by the end of the two weeks they expect you to have taken charge of at least one install. At least thats how it was told to me today.

I would imagine that during this two weeks I wouldn't need to have all of the tools and such, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your input VOOMER. I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me a little more on what to expect.

VOOMER said:
2- I would probably go out and buy as much of the tools as I could myself from Lowes or Home Depot.

I really havent seen any installation tools at home depot or lowes that will take the every day use they are subject to when doing installs !
Be careful, but the $12 coax stripper I got there works well enough. :) And of course, they've got good "normal" tools, too.
VOOMER said:
$80.00 on avg x 2 jobs a day x 6 days =$1266.00
Check your math. ;)
VOOMER said:
One mans nightmare is another mans dream ! :)
TRUTH!

Thanks for all of the info and advice you all have contributed to this thread. I now have a good battery of knowledge I didn't have before. Hopefully anyone else considering this trade in the future will find this thread and gain some insight like I have.

get a good cell phone plan. when i started i had the basic package since no one ever called me but my wife. when my bill came it was over $400 because of over the limit minutes. now i have 1000 anytime minutes so my bill stays at about $100. remember, you will be installing for elderly people who will not remember everything you showed them about the remote. its better to try to explain things over the phone than have to take another trip.

Just curius RedHat, your not in the Omaha area are you?? If so. let me know. As far as insurance for the vehicle, ask your agent about a commercial policy, it cost less. As far as liability, shop arouind, after 09/11 insurance companies have put a minimum premium on thier liability policies. So if you do get the genera or contactors liability make sure that your agent gets you everything that he can for youe $$$ i.e. theft for your tools and everything else he can add up to the minimum $ amount. As far as workers comp. Use should be able to get a decent health policy, probably a high deductible, and a good Disability policy that will cover you on or off work, dependibg on age and health somewhere around $2000.00 a year. And remember, if your going to be a contactor and 1099'd at the end of the year, find a good tax man and save every reciept. Good luck.

Sunday 10/17/2004 football

Pro Football Package, Why not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)