Satellite pole

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cosmokramer11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Queens
I think my pole that holds the dish is no good. For the life of me I cannot get the pole plumb. I can move the pole up with my hand, I used to be able to move it down but since I put on a new screw on the bottom that fixed that. I even put a new long screw in the middle of the pole and it can still move. So my question is, I have a 76cm dish can I use that pole for my 90cm dish?

You mean the pole is loose in the concrete in the ground, or you have some other kind of pole, like mounted to your roof or something?
Don't know what size pipe the smaller dish is made to fit, you can certainly try it to see. If its a primestar/channelmaster dish, most of them were made for some odd size like 2 5/8" hard to find that, but a corner post for chainlink fencing fits just right, and is pretty economical.

You mean the pole is loose in the concrete in the ground, or you have some other kind of pole, like mounted to your roof or something?
Don't know what size pipe the smaller dish is made to fit, you can certainly try it to see. If its a primestar/channelmaster dish, most of them were made for some odd size like 2 5/8" hard to find that, but a corner post for chainlink fencing fits just right, and is pretty economical.

To better put it the pole is loose between the wallmount. The wall mount is secure and bolt fine into the roof. The other dish I have is 76cm no name on it. But its heavier than my 90cm fortec dish if that means anything.

Well cosmo I'm shutting up now because I have no experience with wall-mounts, lol. Especially one with a dish that big. All of mine are on poles in the ground, about head-high so I don't have to climb ladders to work on 'em. Hopefully someone else here has the wits to help you with that type install.

wall mounts for 80, 90 cm and the likes dishes come with 2 extra support arms. they are 2 medium long size bars that attach to the wall on each side and to a center piece (that has several small teeth all around in the inside) at the J-Arm. There is a picture posted recently somewhere on the Question from a noob topic or is it an Avatar? . I do not remember.

Well cosmo I'm shutting up now because I have no experience with wall-mounts, lol. Especially one with a dish that big. All of mine are on poles in the ground, about head-high so I don't have to climb ladders to work on 'em.
All ground mounts here, too!

This one, see? It wasa picture posted on page 5. See the 2 short arms that attach to the wall on both sides.

yes he was right .... until the next strong winds come and you will see he was wrong. for a 90 cm dish I always recommend using the extra 2 arms. the problem is it makes it even more difficult to make the pole perfectly plumb. For a motorised system being plum is critical and also for an elliptical or skeweable dish or a round dish pointing to more than 2 orbital locations. A fixed single sat solution you can always adjust the elevation if it was not plumb and get away with it.

I do have a motor hooked up I do not know if I mentioned that already. I am going to get a bigger bolt tomorrow from the home depot and see if that will help any.

Adding struts will always help keeping things well anchored. And later if you remove the dish, it is much easier to patch the holes than to replace a bunch of siding if the dish pulls out.

A few economical tips I did myself,,,,I have a 4 ft Fortec Star with motor on my roof,,,,,,

In the area I live we have very strong wind storms sometimes,,,,,,I used some steel plates that I placed from underneath my false roof,,,,,,and also on the roof itself,,,I placed some hooks I screwed on and bolted down underneath with steel plates,,,and installed some tensor wires,,,,,works beautiful and is quite cheap to do,,,,,,,My set up has not moved at all even in 65 mile X hour winds !!!!

Good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)