Satellite Receiver Museum...knobs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

freezy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Land of Sky Blue Water
http://www.rewindmuseum.com/vintagesatellite.htm

allsats.gif

I was trying to find a place that had like 1970's solid steel prime focus dishes. Did you see that that 6 footer with the single center mounted LNB support arm that somebody posted looking to get IDed? I looked for a couple hours and found nothing like it. Everything is Tripods or rim mounted singles like the "little will"

My satellite receiver "Knobs" story.

What got me into satellite was a knob tuned analog receiver I got from a scrap dealer I worked for. I never really go to use that receiver because of the way it tuned the downconverter; it "stacked" the tuning voltage on top of the power, and I never had a downconverter that worked that way, or the one for that receiver. It was common for most systems to carry power and tuning voltage separately, tuning voltage usually on the IF coax, where IF was a fixed 70 Mhz, power on a separate coax or extra wire in the bundle.

The first actual "full" satellite system I had was a block system, but with a separate LNA/Downconverter (I made a new RG-213 cable with N connectors for it). The receiver with it was a GI SRX205BB whose PLL controller didn't work, to I just removed it and used potentiometers to set the tuning voltages for the main tuner and an audio subcarrier. I got a box of old satellite stuff from a guy that I did some computer stuff for ( he used to be a satellite dealer in the 80s). Included was a Toki knob tuned receiver, and another of one of the earlier asian made receivers. I did not have the proper downconverter for the Toki, but one that worked, except could barely tune TP 24. With it was another receiver which was digitally tuned (not PLL though, just with a DAC to make the tuning voltages for the downconverter and audio tuners). I never had the remote for it, so had to manually tune the audio trimmer capacitors.

With the Channelmaster IRD, I left my knob tuning days behind. I do have another Knob tuned 70 Mhz receiver I got after, which I could use with the L-band to 70 Mhz tuner can from the CM IRD in, to make an analog reciever, if I care to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)