SatelliteGuys First Look Review - DISH Sling Adapter

OK, so let's say somebody is recording on TV2's satellite input tuner. Then somebody with a remote on the TV2's output turns it on. He sees the recording (if I understand correctly), but he can hit the DVR button and start watching a recording instead. When somebody then attaches via Sling Adapter, he too is looking at the program being recorded. Can he also hit the DVR button and play a 3rd program?

From what I understand is TV2 and Sling are mirrors of each other. So if you are watching TV2 inside the house and someone connects a sling, they now see the same thing, its one video stream so you can't throw a separate DVR stream to the Sling.

I don't think the remote access session and the tuner 2 connected TV "mirror" each other with the sling adapter. My experience with the sling adapter on a 722 and the android app or firefox via DISH's website is that when the remote app or firefox browser begins watching live or recorded content, the TV connected to tuner 2 will only display a screen saying that a remote viewer is controlling the tuner output 2. The TV connected to tuner 2 does not show any content when the remote viewer is active. Only a screen with text is displayed. The text instructs the TV 2 viewer how to terminate the remote user's session to regain access to program content.

My experience with the sling adapter on a 722 and the android app or firefox via DISH's website is that when the remote app or firefox browser begins watching live or recorded content, the TV connected to tuner 2 will only display a screen saying that a remote viewer is controlling the tuner output 2. The TV connected to tuner 2 does not show any content when the remote viewer is active.
That is precisely what happens on a 722 w/Sling Adapter and any remote client. (Yes, I got my Adapter today.) So, no 3rd TV "experience", :( or even simple mirroring of the "experience". I believe that the Sling stream is singular as well.

The fact that you can't mirror the output of your receiver using a Sling adapter seems to be a disadvantage versus a free standing SlingBox.

I have a SlingBox Solo connected to my VIP 211 using component cables and I can watch the same program simultaneously on my laptop and on the TV that is connected to the receiver by HDMI.

Jim

Why not its just using the TV2 output.
Was that a question for Dish engineering? If not, it should be! There is no reason I can see for the Sling Adapter to block a regular home viewer of TV2, but nevertheless it does. Sure, two people could get into contention, but I think a warning pop-up is in order. You can still take over control from the other guy, but at least he could still watch what you're watching and not get worthless screen saver.

vip622 dvr and android screen size

I called dishnet twice today and they confirmed that this will indeed work for watching tv from a 622. Can anyone confirm this? Also, it says screens 4.3 and larger. I happen to have a Droid Incredible 3.7. Anyone have additional info as to whether it will work on that size screen?

I question both of there statements due to the fact that the 722's and the 622's are almost identical besides the record hours and the color(unless there is something else I don't know about in these receivers). I don't see how the screen size can be that big of a deal besides the optimal viewing area. Just looking for some more insight from the pros in here. Thanks!

Lot's of problems.

So I plugged in my Sling Adapter last night, and immediately noticed what a great picture I got over my Sling Classic. That pleased me.

I spent the rest of the night trying to understand how it took them so long to release such a buggy device. The hardware actually seems solid, the performance is good, but the software just feels very buggy.

For example. I have my 722k set up in Single mode. When I try to connect from my iphone it nicely switches to dual mode, and puts a sling icon on the channel indicator banner. Nice touch. And the TV connected to TV2 displays a very nice and informative message about why it's not showing video, and how to steal control from the remote device (press select). That's not too bad, but if I try to play a recording from my DVR, it behaves as if it's going to do that, then it displays live TV. I've tried a hundred times, with many different recordings rebooting and it happens almost every time. That is until you eventually don't get anything. Just a black screen. And if you persist, you'll start getting "Satellite Signal Lost" messages. If you keep trying you might actually get the receiver get so confused the only thing that brings it back is to red button reset it. (A really hard thing to do when you're remote)

This behavior also happens when using the dishonline.com

If I use the old Dish Remote Access (the one at sling.com) site it does seem to work a little better, but with enough time it also starts playing a black screen.

I've also had my TV1 change to the program I'm trying to sling. And when that happens the iphone will display a black screen.

So please tell me it's not just me.

The thing about the original sling hardware and software that always impressed me was just how stable it was. When I fired up my sling player software it always connected. There was never a day that I regretted buying it. It just worked. I think in time if there is a desire the sling adapter can get there, but time will tell.

You're using an iPhone client when it gratuitously goes to live TV? My Android client does that when I try to play back an OTA (mpeg-2) recording. Satellite recordings play OK.

It does not work in the 622. I have a 722k and a 622. I tried plugging it into the 622 and I got a message that said 'You have inserted an unsupported USB device.'

Thanks for the reply. So the sling adaptor has programming that recognizes 722 but not 622. I just don't see why they would do this. They are practically the same damn receiver. Can anyone explain to me why this is the case. Are they trying to make people upgrade. (BTW: I've had my 622 for over five years)

If I were to upgrade, does anyone know what they are charging to do so or is there a different route to take besides dealing with dishnet directly? Also, I didn't plan on upgrading till I heard word about a dual HD receiver. Any word on those?
Thanks again!

At first it displayed a black screen and the signal lost message. But now it works fine. Usually when I play something from the DVR i will get a few seconds of live Tv before the recording kicks in.

At first it displayed a black screen and the signal lost message. But now it works fine. Usually when I play something from the DVR i will get a few seconds of live Tv before the recording kicks in.
Yes the control of the DISH Sling Adapter is a little slower then a stand alone Slingbox, I have noticed that a few times.

Thanks for the reply. So the sling adaptor has programming that recognizes 722 but not 622. I just don't see why they would do this. They are practically the same damn receiver. Can anyone explain to me why this is the case. Are they trying to make people upgrade. (BTW: I've had my 622 for over five years)

If I were to upgrade, does anyone know what they are charging to do so or is there a different route to take besides dealing with dishnet directly? Also, I didn't plan on upgrading till I heard word about a dual HD receiver. Any word on those?
Thanks again!

I'm fairly certain it's because the 722 and 722k have hardware built in that the 622 doesn't. I'm definitely certain it's not just a matter of them wanting you to upgrade. The 622, 722 and 722k are considered the same "family" of receiver. Which means we are authorized to use any one of those models on a new connect or even a service call for receiver replacement. In fact, we just got instructions stating that if a person has the sling adapter and they have a defective 722 and all we have in the warehouse is 622s (which isn't often.) we are to request a 722 be shipped to them.

EDIT: What Scott said.

Last edited:
It's not just you. I've seen the exact same issues when trying to view with my iPhone. I get live tv whenever I try to play something from the DVR. I got the no sattelite signal, black screens, etc. too. Eventually had to reboot the receiver, and lost what I was currently recording.

So I plugged in my Sling Adapter last night, and immediately noticed what a great picture I got over my Sling Classic. That pleased me.

I spent the rest of the night trying to understand how it took them so long to release such a buggy device. The hardware actually seems solid, the performance is good, but the software just feels very buggy.

For example. I have my 722k set up in Single mode. When I try to connect from my iphone it nicely switches to dual mode, and puts a sling icon on the channel indicator banner. Nice touch. And the TV connected to TV2 displays a very nice and informative message about why it's not showing video, and how to steal control from the remote device (press select). That's not too bad, but if I try to play a recording from my DVR, it behaves as if it's going to do that, then it displays live TV. I've tried a hundred times, with many different recordings rebooting and it happens almost every time. That is until you eventually don't get anything. Just a black screen. And if you persist, you'll start getting "Satellite Signal Lost" messages. If you keep trying you might actually get the receiver get so confused the only thing that brings it back is to red button reset it. (A really hard thing to do when you're remote)

This behavior also happens when using the dishonline.com

If I use the old Dish Remote Access (the one at sling.com) site it does seem to work a little better, but with enough time it also starts playing a black screen.

I've also had my TV1 change to the program I'm trying to sling. And when that happens the iphone will display a black screen.

So please tell me it's not just me.

The thing about the original sling hardware and software that always impressed me was just how stable it was. When I fired up my sling player software it always connected. There was never a day that I regretted buying it. It just worked. I think in time if there is a desire the sling adapter can get there, but time will tell.

For example. I have my 722k set up in Single mode. When I try to connect from my iphone it nicely switches to dual mode, and puts a sling icon on the channel indicator banner. Nice touch. And the TV connected to TV2 displays a very nice and informative message about why it's not showing video, and how to steal control from the remote device (press select). That's not too bad, but if I try to play a recording from my DVR, it behaves as if it's going to do that, then it displays live TV. I've tried a hundred times, with many different recordings rebooting and it happens almost every time.

I am having this same issue. Cannot watch any DVR recordings. When I select a DVR recording and select Watch on the Web it just goes to live TV.

Then, I can only use Windows versions of IE and Firefox to watch Live TV while on my Mac (OS 10.5.8). Safari 5.0.2 and Firefox 3.6.12 for Mac have loaded the Sling Web software and stalls on "Activating" when I choose to watch live TV.

And finally, even on my local network (wired and wireless computers alike) the Sling Adapter is uploading through the internet because I am only seeing at best 320kbs speed as reported by Dish Remote Access while watching Live TV on the the windows web browsers. I have a gigabit wired network that the 722k receiver is directly wired (not through a HomeLink powerline like my 622).

Any ideas on any of these three issues? I appreciate any comments and assistance.

(Brand New VIP722k with Sling Adapter, wired 1Gbs Ethernet LAN to Comcast 8mb/2mb rated internet)

- -

EDIT: iPhone Dish Remote Access app also cannot watch DVR recordings. Just goes to Live TV.

Last edited:
No VC1 encoder makes sense.
I am skeptical. I always thought that neither of these receivers have the muscle to transcode mpeg-4 or mpeg-2 into VC1. That is why the Adapter is necessary.

I like your "inadequate USB power" idea better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)