SatelliteGuys Live Recap - Dish Retailer Chat 2/4/09

OK, wait a minute, I think you're confusing TurboHD and Absolute HD. The Absolute HD package was created about a year ago and discontinued (for new subscribers) shortly thereafter. It was the one that was supposed to have no new HD added after the end of 2008. The TurboHD packages were created after Absolute HD was discontinued and were supposed to receive all the HD versions of channels that were in the corresponding non-HD packages. There were no restrictions on it announced -- other than that, unlike Absolute HD, they wouldn't let existing subscribers switch to it til this year, which I still haven't figured out.
I am not confused I know what absolute is I have it. No new HD will go to turbo paks till they see how popular; or how many people subscribe to them. I was using Absolute as another way of sayin ONLY all HD paks, Absolute will be billed and changed to Turbo Gold once they figure out if HD only programing is popular and is no longer grandfathered in. This is why Turbo paks and Absolute is not getting any of the fox HD that was added a couple of days ago.

I am not confused I know what absolute is I have it. No new HD will go to turbo paks till they see how popular; or how many people subscribe to them. I was using Absolute as another way of sayin ONLY all HD paks, Absolute will be billed and changed to Turbo Gold once they figure out if HD only programing is popular and is no longer grandfathered in. This is why Turbo paks and Absolute is not getting any of the fox HD that was added a couple of days ago.

If this is truly E* marketing's idea, it is a stupid one. Why would current classic + HD customers switch to one of the Turbo HD-only packages if we know we're not going to get any more HD added?

30 miles from EVV and having trouble with reception...... that makes little sense unless that 30 miles is NE of evansville up towards the ridge areas... also on HD, most of the stations are STILL on low power with evansville, and with the house today delaying the DT conversion till june, that looks to remain the case since the ABC station's DT signal will take over the Fox affilate's SD channel number after the switch, and all that jazz, trust me it's confusing for sure. Although really even at 30 miles unless you have a cheapy antenna there should not be any reception issues from the EVV stations.

Their subdivision is on low ground, and there's a hill just to west of them that seems to block good reception (if you are familiar with the area, they are in REO). There was an antenna on 25 foot tower attached to the house when they bought it in 1995, but the signals were all very snowy. OTA might do better today with digital signals and an antenna amplifier (along with replacing the old bent & rusted antenna & tower). But why go to all that expense when all the channels are available clearly from cable or satellite.

This has NOTHING to do with the analog shutoff. Dish, DirecTV, and the cablecos will continue to provide SD feeds of local channels after June 17th.

And your point is? E* is adding hd lil because it must to be halfway competitive with DirectTV and cablecos. TWC in my dma has every local channel in HD for no additional cost in their basic broadcast service. E* would like you believe they are the savior of subs by providing them with a couple local channels(nbc, cbs, fox and cw in the buffalo dma) in hd, when in fact if they were a cable company, they wouldn't even get in a negotiation meeting for a franchise without the ability to provide all the local channels to the dma.

ok why not? or what to do mean what does not make sense?
It doesn't make sense b/c DISH should already know how popular their Turbo HD (only) packages are, and adding $10 to the price WITHOUT adding more channels (when those HD channels are available) is frankly stupid -- unless they are trying to kill those packages. I know several people who would leave DirecTV/cable to sign up to those Turbo HD (only) packages if DISH would only get off their arse and add a few more channels (like Nick and SPEED). So if their grand plan is to price their Turbo HD (only) only packages out of existance then they are only loosing potential customers!!

It doesn't make sense b/c DISH should already know how popular their Turbo HD (only) packages are, and adding $10 to the price WITHOUT adding more channels (when those HD channels are available) is frankly stupid -- unless they are trying to kill those packages. I know several people who would leave DirecTV/cable to sign up to those Turbo HD (only) packages if DISH would only get off their arse and add a few more channels (like Nick and SPEED). So if their grand plan is to price their Turbo HD (only) only packages out of existance then they are only loosing potential customers!!
ok I understand now I thought I was not makin sense. I agree it is retarded, I am willin to leave absolute to get more HD but as it looks now I am not moven an inch till they know what there doing. Nothing makes sense with dish anymore.

Something that kind of got lost in the frustrations of prices and programming were 2 things mentioned in the chat that I am excited about. Custom groups and saving settings and timers to the 21.0 remote. Does anyone know if there are plans to incorporate the ability to save settings to the 21.0 into the 722 software or is it only going to be the new models (722k, 922, etc)?

While they did mention custom groups, they associated the four letter "s" word with it.

This is pathetic.... Dish announces the launch of 50+ markets for local HD and people can do nothing but bitch and complain.

Plenty to bitch about if these new markets go the way of South Bend, IN.

They "launched" South Bend with great fanfare - I received letters, e-mails, and even got a phone call - only to discover that just the NBC affiliate was available. No ABC, CBS, CW or Fox. I get all of my HD locals perfectly OTA, but I want them on satellite to help eliminate my current schedule conflicts (I hate having to pick a show to get recorded on the super-crappy Dish SD local) As luck would have it, NBC is by far my least watched network.

What's worse is that South Bend has never been mentioned in any further "Upcoming HD" announcements.

And D* is just a little better: they have NBC and Fox. I suppose the ABC, CBS and CW guys are being jerks about retransmission.

Maybe the 722k with the dual-tuner OTA module is my answer…

In reading the installations instructions for an OTA antenna I'm looking at it had the following...

WARNING
Do not attempt to install if drunk, pregnant or both.
Do not eat antenna.
Do not throw antenna at spouse.

What a screwed up world we live in. BTW that 50# I'm working on losing I mentioned in the price increase thread is going well. I've lost 2# and look to get the other 48# lost 'soon.' Perhaps even by Spring.

Big deal. In a matter of months, there will be no such thing as an analog local channel anyways. So they are doing us a favor by launching 50+ markets for HD, when basically they need to do it for themselves because cable is already giving it away for free.

The sad part of Dish's snail pace is that TWC is adding more and more channels and those double and triple plays are getting more and more appealing. E* better wake up soon, before they get auto industry like churn numbers. I am tired of having to keep broadcast cable so I can get my home town teams games in HD:mad:.
I don't understand why everyone continues to confuse analog/digital/HD. A digital signal and an HD picture are 2 totally different things. The digital transition deals with switching from all analog signals to all digital signals. Satellite and cable have been broadcasting digital for years now.

When Dish launches an HD local market, it is for your benefit. There is NO law that says that they MUST provide you with HD Locals. Not at this time anyways. By the year 2112, if Dish carries 1 HD local of a DMA, then they must carry all. That doesn't apply right now.

This post goes to show that there are a lot of people that will never be ready for the digital transition because they simply don't understand it. I can't watch a local without having that damn scroll about the digital transition, ruining the program.

Congress needs to get their heads outta their asses. If you didn't get a coupon and you're to cheap to shell out $50 for a box, then you deserve to be left out in the cold. Turn on the radio instead!

Unfortunately, you are wrong about the TurboHD packages. It does apply to the Absolute HD. It makes good sense with Absolute, because its a package they want to get rid of. So, if you want new HD, then you drop Absolute and take something else. Dish wins. There's absolutely no way that you can win by staying with Absolute.

And if you really do have a friend that works for Dish and is passing sensitive info along to you;then he should be fired! And Dish does monitor this site. And sorry, being a janitor at Dish headquarters or the Uplink Center, doesn't qualify him as an Dish Employee!

I don't understand why everyone continues to confuse analog/digital/HD. A digital signal and an HD picture are 2 totally different things. ...
Well actually HD is digital and here's how... HD is the highest resolution that digital offers, IE 1080. So Digital can be in 480(i/p), 720p or 180(i/p). ;)

Well actually HD is digital and here's how... HD is the highest resolution that digital offers, IE 1080. So Digital can be in 480(i/p), 720p or 180(i/p). ;)

You're correct, but also wrong;). HD was originally analog. The Japanese were the first to sucessfully broadcast HD in the 1950's.

But, having said that; Dish IS NOT REQUIRED to provide you with HD locals. Which was the point I was trying to make.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)