SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

Reason why I am asking, what if I put the Google TV box in a different room than my DVR? Can I still stream live and recorded TV from my DVR in HD?
My understanding is that the Keyboard Controller uses 2.4GHz wireless tech to control the GTV. Since compatible Dish receivers integrate over HDMI and your LAN, there is no reason you need to have either the GTV or your receiver in the same room as the TV you are watching.

Has anyone else noticed these issues.

The other day my wife called me at work and said she couldn't hear the TV but could see a picture. My set up is 922 to Revue to TV via digital optical to receiver. We also have an XBOX to the TV via another HDMI port and they could hear that sound fine.

When I got home I found that the Revue was no longer seeing the TV at all. I could only see the Revue but no TV in the box and couldn't switch to TV. Under TV my 922 was no longer listed. Rebooting the Revue fixed everything.

Last night I got home and found gray white streaks across the entire screen when viewing the 922. Sound was OK and I could switch channels, etc fine. Again rebooting the Revue fixed all.

Yes I have seen that, it seems like I need to reboot my REVUE every 3 days or so. The most annoying one for me that I have seen and no one else has reported is that the Revue loses contact with the DISH DVR and can not control it. The fix is a reboot which puts everything working again. For $4 a month though I shouldn't lose the interaction I am paying for between the two.

Its an extremely first generation box, but it will get better. :)

Scott says: "Its an extremely first generation box, but it will get better. :)"
Larry says: "I'll keep waiting, then get one."

But I did order my Boxee Box last night once I heard Netflix and Hulu+ would be available.

I got my Boxee Box in my hands now as I type this. :)

I was going to start testing it at my office, but the HDTV I have here in my office does not have HDMI on it. :(

Well I got an early Christmas present from a relative and it was a google box. But the 922 is NOT one of the DISH receivers that you can easily set it up with Google. So my keyboard doesn't control my receiver. The pq is excellent in 1080p and the sound is ALL dolby digital even the pcm sd channels. SO I like that. I did the trick and bookmarked my play on application and I am able to use it for Hula and Netflix if I want to. I can also use the Netflix built in application for my queue. the picture quality is so much better using the google box over using the 922 dnla server . It is like day and night difference. Everything looks good now over the internet. So far I have had a lot of fun trying to see all the applications. I can see this being a real good edition for a DISH receiver if it is compatible one. This just reinforces my belief that I should of kept my 722k and I would of been just as happy the last 6 months. I think the features of google would of been in the 922 if DISH hadn't made a deal with the google folks to market their box with DISH receivers. DISH saw the potential to make more monthly $4.00 fees off of more subs this way and sell more google boxes. DISH still needs to come out with the google compatible feature and the sling extender for hd tv so the 922 will be worth the money. Otherwise I advise all to go with the 722k and the google box instead. You'll be much happier.

Well I got an early Christmas present from a relative and it was a google box. But the 922 is NOT one of the DISH receivers that you can easily set it up with Google. So my keyboard doesn't control my receiver.
My Revue controls my 922. There is an option to manually enter the DVR. When I entered Dish 922 the Revue searched the Harmony data base and found what it needed. The only thing integration does, as far as I can determine is cost you $4/mo to allow the Revue to include Dish VOD and your DVR recordings, including attached EHDs I've read, in a search. Since I know pretty well what is on my DVR and don't use VOD that's no problem for me.

myron243 said:
My Revue controls my 922. There is an option to manually enter the DVR. When I entered Dish 922 the Revue searched the Harmony data base and found what it needed. The only thing integration does, as far as I can determine is cost you $4/mo to allow the Revue to include Dish VOD and your DVR recordings, including attached EHDs I've read, in a search. Since I know pretty well what is on my DVR and don't use VOD that's no problem for me.

Where is the option to manually enter the 922?

It also can set timers based on your search as part of the $4 a month charge.

If you think the quality looks good with Netflix on your GoogleTV wait until they fix the software. You should see how good it looks on Roku. :)

I tried what you said and my revue still doesn't control the 922. I don't know how to get to harmony data base in order to use the codes.

Where is the option to manually enter the 922?
On initial set up when it lists several DVRs scroll to the bottom. I forget the exact wording but it tells the Revue yours isn't listed. It then pops a text box to enter the model number. I entered Dish 922 and it came back with the correct name and model number Dish whatever and I selected yes. If you already have a different DVR selected you can go into settings and select TV source. There you can delete whatever you have and start over.

I tried what you said and my revue still doesn't control the 922. I don't know how to get to harmony data base in order to use the codes.
I did not go to the Harmony data base. The Revue did that when I told it a 922 was the TV source. Are you wireless or connected to the 922 via ethernet? Mine is wireless and the Revue controls the 922 and Onkyo 608 via IR. I have a cloth insert in the entertainment center doors and even with that door closed the Revue can control them. It sits on top of the enterainment center just under a bit under the TV screen, which you can see under and a bit in front close to the edge. If it gets moved back a few inches it can't hit them unless the door is open. Strange, I know.

On initial set up when it lists several DVRs scroll to the bottom. I forget the exact wording but it tells the Revue yours isn't listed. It then pops a text box to enter the model number. I entered Dish 922 and it came back with the correct name and model number Dish whatever and I selected yes. If you already have a different DVR selected you can go into settings and select TV source. There you can delete whatever you have and start over.

This is what I did and it works fine. I'm having no problem controlling the 922. If you look under DISH it wont list the 922 under available receivers but if you select manually enter and type in VIP 922 it will add it and set up the codes.

I'm typing this using my Logitech keyboard right now. Can anyone think of anything you'd rather view on a 50 inch 1080P Plasma than the Satellite Guys Dish Network forum?

Okay, I tried it again and it does control the 922 now. I guess it took a while to get it to work. But I do wish there were simple volume on /off switches on the keyboard so I could easily control the sound on the tv and the a/v receiver too.

It also can set timers based on your search as part of the $4 a month charge.
I really don't miss having the Revue do what I can do with my Dish remote. Maybe if I connect it to a 622 for a while I will find out everything integration does but I'm happy with it on the 922.

You also mentioned the Netflix app is going to be improved. It works just like the Netflix app on my Panasonic Blu-ray player now. Wonder how many other devices that same app is on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)