SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

Totally agree, I dont have the upgrade yet either but they indicated it was coming.
Unless this is another case of someone blowing smoke up my *** If I hear anything i will definitely pass it along and try to make a connect with Scott.

Very nice. That Netflix interface is one of the three test UIs that they are testing out on the PS3 to see if people like it. I wonder if that is the one they are going with or if this app will also randomly select a UI when you start it up like the PS3 does.

I'm guessing those apps are new ones that have been added since release. Good to see them rolling more apps out, I can't wait until the official Marketplace goes Live. I thought this GTV was "still-born". :rollseyes Looks like they are only getting started.

Wow this has gotten quite the buzz over night, most of the tech sites have now covered the news. And I am happy to see that the new Netflix interface has gained a lot of positive buzz for the Google TV.

It is my feeling that the GoogleTV was released to early, which is why I called it a Diamond in the rough. The new Netflix app shows some nice polish that is helping to start shining that diamond up.

You would think that GoogleTV and Logitech would be happy with the positive buzz this is causing for them (finally) with GoogleTV but it appears they are not.

I got contacted overnight that my box has been accidently tageted for BETA software and thats why I am seeing the new Netflix app. They have requested (and I got this request more then once) that I send them my mac address to my unit so they can return my box to production software. I am not sure I want to give them my mac address, as returning back to production will be a big step back for me with the GoogleTV.

The people that contacted me however did not write me from a Google or Logitech email address. So while their emails sounded legit I will not provide them the information they are looking for.

If I knew I received beta software I would have never posted it. I was honestly watching TV one night and a pop up appeared on the screen saying that their was an update and it asked me if I wanted to download it, so I said yes. I posted here almost 2 weeks ago that I got this update and was not contacted by anyone... I actually didn't talk about it again as I figured the update went out to everyone when a few days ago people started contacting me asking if I was pulling their leg regarding the Netflix update. So I then decided to post proof, first with pictures and then later in the night I thought the new interface was so good and such an improvement that I took a video of it to show it off.

I never intended to make Google, Logitech, or DISH Network upset at me by posting this information. I was honestly excited by the update, and it showed me what I said in my origional review of the box... the Google TV can be an a AMAZING box and this update shows that promise. I am happy that my unintentional leak of the new interface has created a POSITIVE buzz for GoogleTV and has people excited. This kind of PR buzz is buzz that can not be purchased. (But hey if GoogleTV would like to become a Gold Sponsor I wouldn't mind one bit!) :)

If someone from Google or Logitech wants to contact me to discuss this more please contact me at myfirstname at satelliteguys dot us.

I still remain excited about the future of GoogleTV.

Best,

I have seen and reported a couple of users asking for Mac addresses and other info over on the Logitech forum. While I am sure you got a beta software until someone official from Logitech or Google contacts you I would not submit any info to them.

First time poster long time reader

HDMI Cable too long?

Went to set up my Revue today, all was well until I got the picture on my 55" Vizio LED television. Beautiful picture, no audio. Not even the graphic bar on the screen when I pressed the volume and mute key on the keyboard. Called Goggle tech support, after four hours and two tech reps, their conclusion is the HDMI cable I have is too long, somehow it is not letting the audio signal get through to the Revue. Granted, it is a long cable, 100', which is a factory-assembled unit, fully certified. Had to use that to get from the place where all our components, including DISH 722K receiver are, to the living room, because we didn't want cables and components all over the place, and, the television is a flat-screen mounted above the fireplace. Had never had a problem with DISH audio or video, nor with the A/V components when I sent a signal from the DVD, CD, FM or (don't laugh) laser disc boxes. The techs had me hook up the Revue directly to the television, with no DISH involvement, it played YouTube videos from the Internet just fine, sound and all. Also had me hook it up to another Vizio I have in another room, via a 722, it worked fine with the DISH and the Internet. So the techs are convinced the HDMI cable for the living room setup is too long. Want me to try a cable on a test basis that is just long enough to go from the component box room to the television, a run of about 30 feet. Not real thrilled about shelling out the bucks for a one-time use, besides, I always thought an HDMI cable was an "all in" kind of thing, you either get the audio and the video, or you get nothing:confused:

Almost certainly, there is an issue in the Revue unit where the output levels it puts out are lower than what the 722 is putting out. Since the 722 plugs into the Revue, and then the revue is the output, it is the revue not putting out enough voltage for a proper signal. Did you try having the HDMI plug into the review at the TV, and then a short cable from the revue into the tv, to see if that worked?

towboy123 said:
After 50' HDMI really needs a booster.
Wether or not it works you will still have degradation in signal over that distance

I disagree. This is an often quoted "fact". But in real life I have run 2 100' runs and 1 75' run with zero issues at all.

Considering how long it has been since you received the update and no one else has and the fact that you got your Revue sent to you from DISH outside of the normal channels before anyone else, I was starting to get the suspicion that you might have been slipped beta software, and might I say... THAT IS SO AWESOME1!1!1! (Wishes the forum still had emotes)

DustoMan said:
Considering how long it has been since you received the update and no one else has and the fact that you got your Revue sent to you from DISH outside of the normal channels before anyone else, I was starting to get the suspicion that you might have been slipped beta software, and might I say... THAT IS SO AWESOME1!1!1! (Wishes the forum still had emotes)

I'd keep quiet about your MAC and just enjoy the firmware as it comes ;). Since you aren't an official tester you aren't under NDA :)

Scott: Any idea when they might get Skype? This would be very useful to have - their proprietary internet calling app may be nice, but so many of our friends & family have Skype.

Dish vs OTA + Google TV + DSL

I am considering dropping my Dish subscription. I own my 722K DVR and would add the OTA module and an HD antenna. My questions are this: Would the Google TV + Logitech revue provide an "on screen guide" that would enable me to use the DVR to record shows on a "searched" basis? i.e. Would Google TV know what I was receiving thru local o.t.a. broadcasts? If I bought the Revue through Dish and then cancelled my account - would there be any cancellation fees?

My Revue (GTV) does not appear to recognize any of the OTA locals I receive from Dish, only the Dish Network Locals they provide. I'm pretty sure you'll get "Digital Service", rather than any program descriptions if you don't subscribe to at least Locals from Dish. Which means you won't be able to tell from the guide what is actually on. You can set manual timers, but that's kind of a pain. Again, Google TV does not seem to have any idea that OTA channels exist, and doesn't include them in any search results.
I am considering dropping my Dish subscription. I own my 722K DVR and would add the OTA module and an HD antenna. My questions are this: Would the Google TV + Logitech revue provide an "on screen guide" that would enable me to use the DVR to record shows on a "searched" basis? i.e. Would Google TV know what I was receiving thru local o.t.a. broadcasts? If I bought the Revue through Dish and then cancelled my account - would there be any cancellation fees?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts