Saying Goodby Dish Network 1995-2018

hdrick103,

Dish did something similar to me a few years ago. I cancelled my contract and got an early termination fee (which I expected) plus I was charged for the LNB. There was a Dish at my house left over from the previous owner (with LNB). I did not want to go up 25 feet on a ladder to remove it and was charged about $20 for the LNB in addition to early termination fee.

In the 90's when I first had Dish Network installed at my previous house they were a great company and had excellent (US based) customer service. Now days they slam the door on you on your way out. I will never go back to being a Dish customer. They probably charged the previous owner of my home for the LNB also.

hdrick103,

Dish did something similar to me a few years ago. I cancelled my contract and got an early termination fee (which I expected) plus I was charged for the LNB. There was a Dish at my house left over from the previous owner (with LNB). I did not want to go up 25 feet on a ladder to remove it and was charged about $20 for the LNB in addition to early termination fee.

In the 90's when I first had Dish Network installed at my previous house they were a great company and had excellent (US based) customer service. Now days they slam the door on you on your way out. I will never go back to being a Dish customer. They probably charged the previous owner of my home for the LNB also.

Years ago I had to buy my equipment (1999). There was no lease system in place. I figured since I bought my big dish ($2500) back in 1985, why not spend $60 I get the 2800 and Dish 300 at the time? I installed it myself as I did with my big dish. It was a piece of cake compared to the big dish. Since then I have updated every decade or so. I bought Dish 500, then went to the Dish Pro (3 slots) and got the 211k, I like Dish even with the program issues, but with me being a single guy, the 211k works well with no receiver fees. I got the OTA antenna and the outboard HDD. I only pay for the programming. It isn't for everyone, but it works well for me. If I closed out my account, I would not owe anything extra. Since Dish equipment is rather inexpensive, it is easy for me to update when I want to.

Reactions: pattykay
Did they charge you a fee each month while your account was paused?

If so I think they owe you the pause fee back if they are charging a divorce fee.

If your paying a pause fee, might as well had done the welcome pack which counts towards the end of contract.

Sorry to see you go.

Yes, $5.00 for each month extened....stupid I should have canceled immediately and not listened to the rep.

I have been told by someone who should know that once equipment is permanently attached to your home it becomes yours thereby invalidating any demand for its return. Guess he went to law school for nothing.

I have been told by someone who should know that once equipment is permanently attached to your home it becomes yours thereby invalidating any demand for its return. Guess he went to law school for nothing.

The satellite companies interpret permanently attached to mean the wire, brackets, dishes, ground blocks, etc. DISH, Viasat and Hughes all require the LNB to be returned because it's only attached with a screw or screws. DirecTV doesn't bother asking for the LNB to be returned.

Reactions: charlesrshell

If so I think they owe you the pause fee back if they are charging a divorce fee.

If your paying a pause fee, might as well had done the welcome pack which counts towards the end of contract.

Sorry to see you go.

Yes, I was stupid to listen to the customer rep and pay $5./mo to "pause" the service when I knew at that time I wanted to cancel the service. I am not sorry to be leaving especially not now. I'm sure there are more cord cutters/Dish Dumpers behind me and certainly more rate increase behind them. The dish game was getting to rich for my blood, retired veteran on a fixed income, had to go.

Last edited:

Sorry to see you go.
Really ?

Was thinking the same thing, Dish was two years. Behind DirecTV

I can’t remember the exact month Dish started connecting customers, but it was definitely ‘96. Echostar I wasn’t launched until December 28, 1995. So, we know no one could have had Dish before then, or D.I.S.H as they were back then remember (Digital Information Sky Highway).

The satellite companies interpret permanently attached to mean the wire, brackets, dishes, ground blocks, etc. DISH, Viasat and Hughes all require the LNB to be returned because it's only attached with a screw or screws. DirecTV doesn't bother asking for the LNB to be returned.
All of the parts you listed are also only held in place by a screw or screws too though. Then again, I think it's more a case of Dish asks for the LNB back but they don't seem to press the issue. If you tell them it's mounted where you can't reach it (whether it's true or not), they waive the need to return it.

All of the parts you listed are also only held in place by a screw or screws too though. Then again, I think it's more a case of Dish asks for the LNB back but they don't seem to press the issue. If you tell them it's mounted where you can't reach it (whether it's true or not), they waive the need to return it.
They would be welcome to roll a truck to retrieve it.

So I don't have to tare the siding off the house looking for the Node/Hub, just tell them I can't find it?

So I don't have to tare the siding off the house looking for the Node/Hub, just tell them I can't find it?
The node/hub is definitely not under your siding. It is either at the dish itself or, if you follow the cables from the dish to its next point, there... And yes, telling them that you can't find it should waive the need....

Reactions: pattykay
No not really, the $5 a month pause fee is for them to keep your account alive and for you to be able to keep the hardware while not paying for programming. I am fairly certain that the contract has a minimum amount per month you need to pay for programming in order for it to count towards your contract commitment. The best thing to do is either pay the termination fee or drop back to the Welcome Pack for the remaining time of your contract.

I can see the see the satellite internet providers because there is quiet a bit of money in the LNB.

However as for Dish it’s nothing more than another FU charge for leaving them.

Most customers leave with a credit balance and deducting the charge for an LNB is something that is easily over looked.

But if the LNB was really that important then why not require it for Dish movers?

In other words it’s ok to eat the cost of a LNB if a customer is moving. But it’s not ok if they are canceling.

And let’s not get started about the charges to use their return shipping labels. No other provider I know does that.

I totally understand why Dish does this, but they should really give the customer some options by allowing retailers to accept equipment from customers who cancel or having places where customers can drop equipment off without being charged.

And one more thing. Most customers are not aware of the lnb charge or shipping label charges till after they cancel. Sure as a retailer we went over it as part of the disclosures, but it’s gone over so fast it really doesn’t sink in with the customers

Dish Network makes up their own laws. Not worth fighting them over $20 for the LNB. My friends and relatives have shared similar grievances about Dish Network. Dish Network can go f____ itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)