Scheduled recordings lost due to "No signal" OR funny tech story

"This is happening all over the place in our local area. We have no idea what is going on". Sure do wish Dish had told me that over the phone instead of sending a tech & charging me money to do nothing but say that :mad:

I called Dish support after the tech visit & got an American (thank you Lord :bow) & was told they were aware of problems on local FOX but not the other networks. I mean if the local tech tells me that this is happening to everyone in my area & they are going on massive amounts of service calls for the same problem... why the hell doesn't Dish know about this?

There are known problems with Fox, but not the other networks. The technician just didn't want to troubleshoot your problem because it's intermittent and could be so many things and could take so much time. I'd call Dish and tell them it's still not working. The RSP/Contractor get's backcharged 175.00 everytime a trouble call is made within 12 days of the service complete (work order closed.) After so many calls, they'll send someone out who will resolve your problem. That 175.00 a pop can get really expensive quick.

I know it doesn't help, but you shouldn't have to change your DVR times etc to SD channels. I can guarantee if the job is done correctly, all works great.

ill agree with that.
after so many appointments, its about time for a tech to arrive and just re-install your system. if done correctly dish network functions great.

You guys all rock pretty damn hard for all the suggestions!

Here is where I am at: I checked all my cabling. Outside seemed just fine, although after it was mentioned to check those I figured I probably cut it last fall with the weed wacker or something, but nope it was clean. Checked inside and the cables on the back of the box we just a bit loose, but not so loose that I would think would affect it but I tightend anyway. Also, the box was smashed up against the back of the tv stand so I pulled it out as far as I could and gave it room to breathe. And since it was smashed up in the back so much, the 2 short sat cables that are between the combiner and the box were kinked up pretty bad. I straightened those and tightened. Checked all the 129 levels and they remained in the 50s.

The new software update fixed my problems...hope it works for the others with problems!
Cool, but which software update fixed your issues?

So what I do first is look at the STB health lite screen. Go to menu 6-1-3. allow the check to run..See if there is a "warning check details"
Sorry I am not by the box. But is 6-1-3 the check switch? If so I got the warning last Friday when I called Dish, but I have done Check Switch before and not had issues.

Then hilite "details". Scoll down to STB health screen.
Look at the values.
The only ones that matter are
0) if this value is above 2 the hardrive is malfunctioning
1) above 10 hardware failure
2) above zero potential hardware issues
4) above 200 the hard drive is locking up
I will check these soon. Thanks for the tip there!

I thinking it could be a few things on the OP' side.. bad cabling, bad lnb, something blocking 129 on the dish, bad switch(probably in lnb on his setup), or something goofy with the receiver.

With a 50 signal strength you should have no issues. And just a note... use TheList link in my signature and find the transponders on 129 on the channels you are having issues with regularly and post the signal strength to those.

Just wanted to give an update since it has been a couple weeks. Since I tightened and straightened out the cables behind the box that were cramped back in there I have had ZERO problems. Crazy! I checked everything else that was suggested here and found no problems anywere else.

Hard to believe that something as simple as loose and cramped cables could have been giving me such frustration!

Thanks again for all the tips and tricks. This is a great forum with great people on it! And no this is not an April Fools joke. :D

When i worked for cable you could bend cable to just block out certain frequencies. So yea a bent cable can cause all kinds of weird problems.

So just over a month later and I am having the same issues again. Plus this time I can't get SpeedHD and FXHD to authorise on my box. I called and had them 're-hit' the box or whatever they do, and then tried reboots, and check switch and I still can't get those two channels to work. They show up red but I can't watch them. Not that it matters when half the time I can't get a proper signal on the HD channels anyways...

So this Saturday another Dish tech is coming out. Hopefully he or she will be able to get this resolved because it is frustrating. I told the tech rep on the phone about what happened last time and she said she would email the techs manager that this is a recurring problem and they didn't fix it last time, so hopefully they will send someone who knows what they are doing.

I guess I will ask if they will replace the cabling and see if they can tweak the signal by repositioning the dish some. Not that I should have to ask them to do that, they should just do what is necessary to max out the signal.

Wish me luck!

So just over a month later and I am having the same issues again. Plus this time I can't get SpeedHD and FXHD to authorise on my box. I called and had them 're-hit' the box or whatever they do, and then tried reboots, and check switch and I still can't get those two channels to work. They show up red but I can't watch them. Not that it matters when half the time I can't get a proper signal on the HD channels anyways...

So this Saturday another Dish tech is coming out. Hopefully he or she will be able to get this resolved because it is frustrating. I told the tech rep on the phone about what happened last time and she said she would email the techs manager that this is a recurring problem and they didn't fix it last time, so hopefully they will send someone who knows what they are doing.

I guess I will ask if they will replace the cabling and see if they can tweak the signal by repositioning the dish some. Not that I should have to ask them to do that, they should just do what is necessary to max out the signal.

Wish me luck!
Write this down...The tech should look at three things. First, he should check signals..If there are weak transponders (low signals) the disjh is out of alignment. also check to see that trees have not grown into the line of sight. If so the dish needs to moved and/or the trees trimmed.
Personally I move them unless the customer prefers to have the dish stay in the current location or there is no other viable placement. Tree grow. I don't wish for the customer to have the same problem a year or two down the road.
If the tech has to relocate the dish ,make sure he runs new cable to the ground block. No splices allowed. If the system is not grounded ,make sure he grounds it..
Another ite, to look at would be the switch and/or LNB.

My two cents (in addition to what dishcomm said above): since it worked for a while when you un-cramped the cables behind the receiver, I suspect there's a faulty piece of cable in that bunch somewhere. Replace the two cables between the receiver sat inputs and the separator, and the one running from the separator to the wall outlet.

Personally I move them unless the customer prefers to have the dish stay in the current location or there is no other viable placement.

This was something I was wondered about. If I look the way that the dish is pointed, it looks like there are 2 different trees that could be partially blocking the signal. But the guy that came out last time said the signal doesn't come in exactly the way the dish is pointed, but more straight up. That didn't make sense to me, but thats what he said.

So if it would be beneficial for them to move the dish, they would be able to do that on the call without charging me extra?

Another thing while we are talking on dish positioning, when Dish first came out and installed the thing, they wouldn't put it on the roof. He said because I have steel shingles they won't go up there. Does that have any merit to it?

This was something I was wondered about. If I look the way that the dish is pointed, it looks like there are 2 different trees that could be partially blocking the signal. But the guy that came out last time said the signal doesn't come in exactly the way the dish is pointed, but more straight up. That didn't make sense to me, but thats what he said.

So if it would be beneficial for them to move the dish, they would be able to do that on the call without charging me extra?

Another thing while we are talking on dish positioning, when Dish first came out and installed the thing, they wouldn't put it on the roof. He said because I have steel shingles they won't go up there. Does that have any merit to it?
No roof mounts on materials other than asphalt shingles are recomended.
Out: Tile , Cedar shakes, slate, metal and terazzo.
If a dish needs ot be reolcated for any reason other than cutomer damage or caused, there is no charge.
Customers must pay if they simply want the dish moved due to aesthetics.

Think of the dish as a mirror. The LNBs are below the axis of the dish, thus the viewing direction is above the axis by the same amount (22 degrees for each). This off-axis mount reduces the effective area of the dish but avoids some other problems--can't name them. Hope that helps.
-Ken

Thanks all! They should be here soon and hopefully know what they are doing :). I labeled all my connections this time, so hopefully that will help.

So the guy came yesterday. And he actually seemed to know what he was doing! He was cursing the guy that did my install. Said he used all the wrong connectors so he replaced those and most of the cables. He also tweaked the dish position and cleaned up the drooping cables on the outside of the house. He said if the changes he made did not fix the problem he would come back and move the dish a couple feet. So far so good though!

Also, my switch is a DPP 1K.2 w/Separator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)