Scott's Thought's: Satellite HDTV - Too Little, Too Late?

Here in Sacramento, Comcast only offers 2 local HD stations (NBC and ABC), ESPN, the two InHD, and HBO/Sho in their respective packages. I get about 6 local DTV/HD stations via antenna, plus the occasional stations from the bay area, and the Directv HD package. For my money, I'm better off now than with Comcast. However, with these rumors of new channels coming to Comcast in mid-October, the advantage might be slipping.

Until SOMEONE comes out with a recorder for recording the satellite/cable network HD offerings, I'm not ready to commit to anything from anyone. I got a cheap setup for Direct, and am commited until summer with them. I'll re-evaluate my options then. A killer standalone HD-Tivo would be excellent for my dollar!

Jeff

Actually Dish now has the capacity for HDTV locals for the top 14 or so markets. Now that 121 and 105 are in place, the wing satellites will be emptying out (plus the new spotbeam satellite they have on order).

They have 17 transponders on 61.5 and 32 on 148. They could put up ABC/CBS/Fox/NBC/UPN/WB/PBS for each of the top markets. Without spot beams Dish could deliver HDTV locals to about 1/3 the country's population.

Now if Dish were to get ahold of Voom and their spot beam satellite they could probably get HDTV in the top 50 markets.

I would still love it to see Dish put the SuperStations in the HDTV package (of course they would probably make you sub to the supers package to get them in hdtv package like hbo).

Remember that many of the transponders at 61.5 may go away when Sky Angel finishes their new uplink center. So don't count those borrowed transponders in the equation. :D

Does anyone know what kind of OTA antenna Voom is going to use? I have an feeling that they are going to use those "clip on" antennas. I expect a lot of "disappointment" from some Voom customers about bad reception.

They can guarantee an antenna but they cant guarantee reception from the clip on's. I seen one advertised for HD about a week or two ago that clips on the satellite dish. I wonder what kind of antenna Terk would have to make to get them to work on the SuperDish? Can you imagine that? I wonder if they would work better on the metal SuperDish than the plastic one that is coming out next year.

Cyclone said:
Does anyone know what kind of OTA antenna Voom is going to use? I have an feeling that they are going to use those "clip on" antennas. I expect a lot of "disappointment" from some Voom customers about bad reception.
Wilt Hildenbrand, VP of engineering for Cablevision (Voom) has stated that it will be a quality OTA antenna and NOT a clip on type. I, too, am curious to see what it will be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts