SD From Dish on a SD TV ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
This could be the dumbest question I have ever asked, but why does SD look so much better on an old SD TV? The picture quality really looks like crap on my HD TV's but not on my SD LCD TV. :confused:

Well I don't think it is a Dumb question. In my opinion it was designed for that resolution. I fee that all the High Def TV'S show the warts and all. They are much higher resolution so when they try to up convert it just looks bad.

Well I don't think it is a Dumb question. In my opinion it was designed for that resolution. I fee that all the High Def TV'S show the warts and all. They are much higher resolution so when they try to up convert it just looks bad.

Thanks cool. One thing I should say is, I am not talking about stretching a SD picture to fill my HD TV screens. Even in it's native standard 4:3 format on a HD TV.... Shows all the warts, lol. :D

I went from a 29" SD CRT to a 42" Westinghouse HDTV driven by the s-video outputs of a 625, and the picture was amazing even though bigger than before. The Westinghouse has a particularly good scaler, and the factory settings were reasonable. On the other hand, I returned a cheap Sylvania because of an abysmal scaler and crappy default picture settings that needed changing with every channel. Source was s-video on a 501. Replaced the Sylvania with a Vizio and it also did fine until I got a 612. Other family members were happy enough with those old SD receivers, they saw no need for HD receivers and thought I was wasting money when I upgraded 3 receivers to HD. :eek:

Think about this. The picture on an HDTV when viewed such that it's the same apparent size as the picture on an SDTV should not look worse! If it does, then either something is set up wrong OR the HDTV has a really crappy scaler. The fact that many smart people will tell you "just live with it" tells me this is not a dumb question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts