sd on hd reciever

It better look at least as good as the SD set (when viewed from the distance that makes the picture the same size). If it's worse, then something is wrong. It should look better because the picture is deinterlaced. Many SD sets I've seen don't control the vertical position of the individual fields very well, with the result that many cheap SD sets actually showed much less resolution (half!) than the signal contained. That problem is also fixed in an HDTV.

Just my observation, but I think that the SD channels that are MPEG4 come in a bit better than the MPEG2 ones. I know a couple years back, many of the SD channels started to look better. Don't know what Dish did to them, but I like it!

I'm asking this beacuse I thinking of getting a vip 211 for my hd tv and replacing my 4900 but I don't want hd channels. Is it worth getting?

No its not unless your looking at getting hd down the road but even then you might as well stay with your 4900 until you want hd because there really isnt any difference from what I saw over my 6 years of installation work for E.

As one said, Its mostly your TV.
But no a 722 is not going to have Better SD PQ then say a 625.
Its the same.
The 211k is a good receiver, If you want it get it.
You can turn it into a DVR for about $100-150.

I have an old 4700 connected via an s-video cable and a 622 connected via a hdmi to dvi cable to the same tv. The picture on the 4700 connection has by far a more brilliant color picture. Since neither the 622 nor the 4700 allow you to adjust picture directly, you are subject to the picture adjustments of your tv. At the same picture adjustment the 622 seems washed out compared to the 4700. I can go in and adjust the picture settings and get a better picture for the 622 than is capable from the 4700. However, it really makes the 4700 overcolored. Since the 4700 allows us to play some Dish interactive games at a higher interactive speed than the 622 is capable of, we like to keep it connected. So I have tried to adjust the tv to make the 622 and 4700 pictures enjoyable.

For your intended use, you probably will be able to adjust the tv's picture settings to be optimized for the new receiver and have it look as good or better than your current receiver.

If you check into the HDTV ratings from Consumer Reports there are some HDTVs with excellent ratings for viewing SD programming and others not so excellent.

I believe it was The Krell that told me(correct me if I'm wrong Krell) that Dishnetwork's SD is 544x480,where DirecTV's is 480x480.I can see a difference.

After having DirecTV's SD programming for 3 years I can say Dish's SD is a better picture.I already thought this when I had Dish before but switching back and forth confirmed it.

I have noticed that when a programmer goes HD with a channel that my SD picture looks like it's a downrezzed HD picture with the definition a little clearer and the colors are deeper.

I have Dish's 625(connected-S-Video) and my RPTV screen is 50" that has been calibrated and cleaned every 4 years.

If you check into the HDTV ratings from Consumer Reports there are some HDTVs with excellent ratings for viewing SD programming and others not so excellent.

I believe it was The Krell that told me(correct me if I'm wrong Krell) that Dishnetwork's SD is 544x480,where DirecTV's is 480x480.I can see a difference.

After having DirecTV's SD programming for 3 years I can say Dish's SD is a better picture.I already thought this when I had Dish before but switching back and forth confirmed it.

I have noticed that when a programmer goes HD with a channel that my SD picture looks like it's a downrezzed HD picture with the definition a little clearer and the colors are deeper.

I have Dish's 625(connected-S-Video) and my RPTV screen is 50" that has been calibrated and cleaned every 4 years.
Dish Networks Mpeg 2 SD is 540x480 Western Arc
Mpeg 4 SD is 480x480 Eastern Arc

I have an old 4700 connected via an s-video cable and a 622 connected via a hdmi to dvi cable to the same tv. The picture on the 4700 connection has by far a more brilliant color picture. Since neither the 622 nor the 4700 allow you to adjust picture directly, you are subject to the picture adjustments of your tv. At the same picture adjustment the 622 seems washed out compared to the 4700. I can go in and adjust the picture settings and get a better picture for the 622 than is capable from the 4700. However, it really makes the 4700 overcolored. Since the 4700 allows us to play some Dish interactive games at a higher interactive speed than the 622 is capable of, we like to keep it connected. So I have tried to adjust the tv to make the 622 and 4700 pictures enjoyable.

For your intended use, you probably will be able to adjust the tv's picture settings to be optimized for the new receiver and have it look as good or better than your current receiver.

Which picture adjustments would need to change to get a better picture on my hdtv? I have my 508 hooked up with s-video.

I can confirm that resolution on mpeg-2 SD Dish transmissions because I used to rip programs off my 501 and 625 all the time (to edit out commercials, and play them wherever I wanted). I have not done this on my HD receivers as yet, so we'll have to go with Hemi's prescription. Care to add what the HD resolutions are?
Again others may please correct me. But on many Dish SD channels, I believe Dish only gets the HD version of the channel and downscales it for SD receivers. This looks particularly silly when the provider is sending a widescreen picture, which is most of the time! Dish letterboxes the signal for SDTVs, and also tells the receiver this SD channel is 4:3. This results in the addition of pillarboxes by the receiver since I have it connected to my widescreen HDTV. Black bands all around. :eek: My wife does this to us all the time since she likes to channel surf using the Up arrow button, and stops when she sees a program she likes. :(

Which picture adjustments would need to change to get a better picture on my hdtv? I have my 508 hooked up with s-video.
I had a 501 and when I bought a Sylvania 32" HDTV, I fiddled and fiddled and eventually got one channel to look good. But it seemed like the available adjustments were only suitable for one channel, and I had to fiddle some more with every channel. I returned that set and bought a Vizio which out of the box did a much better job of upscaling than the Sylvania. I was able to adjust it and leave it that way for all channels received, so we were happy until I upgraded the 501 to a 612. My Westinghouse 42", however, looked great on my 625 without any adjustments whatsoever. (I replaced that with a 722.) All adjustments were done so long ago I no longer remember what I did.

There are DVD HDTV calibration disk's like Avia and Digital Video Essentials you can purchase.

But there is also a problem if your TV was manufactured on a Monday or Friday(an old saying) what worked for me was having my local TV repairman come out and checkout my TV(TV repair personal can adjust not only the outside menu settings,but the inside menu settings as well).

To me the non-"K" boxes do just a slightly better job of rendering the SD image form an SD channels. However, the 'K" boxes do a noticeably better jog of PQ SD content from and SD channel. It is not a huge difference, but the "K's" seem to eliminate a fair amount of digital noise and are a bit crisper with less artifacts and better color than are clearly visible on SD boxes. In fact, the SD image from SD channels seems to "pop" a bit. Better hardware and superior chips are probably responsible for this, but it is not a huge earth-shattering difference, more of a subtle one that can still be appreciated. And it should be noted that according to my eye (and the eyes of others on this board) the "K" series HD PQ image is also a bit better than the "pre-K" HD boxes.

... But on many Dish SD channels, I believe Dish only gets the HD version of the channel and downscales it for SD receivers. This looks particularly silly when the provider is sending a widescreen picture, which is most of the time! Dish letterboxes the signal for SDTVs, and also tells the receiver this SD channel is 4:3. This results in the addition of pillarboxes by the receiver since I have it connected to my widescreen HDTV. Black bands all around. :eek: My wife does this to us all the time since she likes to channel surf using the Up arrow button, and stops when she sees a program she likes. :(
I doubt that Dish does any HD-to-SD conversion for SD channels--its done by the stations themselves.
The aspect ratio on the 622 series is maintained separately for SD and HD transmissions using the "*" key so you should not have to compromise on that while surfing. A number of channels have adopted letterboxing on their SD channels, when showing material with wide aspects. But then again you can see some SDs that shift from wide-screen style for the titles/credits to pan and scan for the body--hate it.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)