SD PQ Degraded after Using Dish Interactive

rshapiro6

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
I'm new to dish so bear with me on this one. I have been thrilled with the PQ of the 811 for both SD and HD content on my 30" Tosh tube. While playing around with the box last night, I went to the Interactive channel and it looked really bad. This is over DVI btw. Then I chose Instant Weather or whatever it's called and it also looked bad. I went back to regular TV and all text on all SD stations looked jaggy, or non anti-aliased or whatever you call it. HD channels look fine. I have not tried a reboot yet, but was wondering if this was a known bug, or is it somehow related to the DVI cable vs. component, and most importantly how do I fix it!? Thanks!

Mine has done that once. Component and DVI show the same image(I also use the DVI). Hold down the power button for a few seconds and let it reboot, if that doesn't work, pull the plug on it for a few minutes and start it back up.

chevyN8, I noticed in your signature that you have your "computer hooked by component." Can you point me to a link on how to do this? I have searched this site and found nothing. Thanks

Maybe this is what I am seeing too. See the bottom part of my post titled "Flashing Banner on 1 channel". I noticed the jagged appearance on text, any non-vertical line, and especially station icons in the lower right. I only saw this on OTA analog channels. I did not see this on OTA HD, SD, or satellite channels.

I didn't happen to go to the Dish Interactive channel on accident and I went to Customer Support in the Menu. Maybe that is what is causing it.

hepmehepme said:
chevyN8, I noticed in your signature that you have your "computer hooked by component." Can you point me to a link on how to do this? I have searched this site and found nothing. Thanks

I'm using an ATI AIW 9600 video card with the optional HDTV connector. Mainly for DVD's. Sound via logitech Z-5300 5.1 speakers and a soundblaster audigy 2 ZS sound card. It's also possible to use a VGA to component converter to output HDTV type signals.

I observed this behavior on my 811 (P2.81) as well. The only way I have been able to clear is with the one-fingered-salute (depending on your mood, you can choose which finger to use). When this happens, it appears that the JPEG decoder is corrupted. Even the graphics in the dish home application are affected. Text that is generated is okay, so it doesn't seem to be the video memory itself that's corrupted, just the part of the 811 that decodes JPEGs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)