second receiver at another location

dsharky

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 15, 2004
This is more of a curiosity quesiton. I subscribe to dish and have 2 811 receivers at my house. My friend just got an HD tv and wanted to test out what HD will look like. However, he doens't have 811 receiver but has a dish 500 already installed with a much older SD receiver.

Is there a problem with me just physically bringing one of my HD reciever over there? In theory, this should work since everything is controlled via the access card inside anyways right?

dsharky said:
This is more of a curiosity quesiton. I subscribe to dish and have 2 811 receivers at my house. My friend just got an HD tv and wanted to test out what HD will look like. However, he doens't have 811 receiver but has a dish 500 already installed with a much older SD receiver.

Is there a problem with me just physically bringing one of my HD receiver over there? In theory, this should work since everything is controlled via the access card inside anyways right?

As long as you don't intend to leave the receiver there I see no ethical or technical reason not to give him a HD demo.

NightRyder

What trips me out is that i'm a new subscriber, so i got my 2 HD receiver free. but he is a current subscriber and he said Dish wants to charge him $300 for an HD reciever. I told him to threaten to go with VOOM and see how far he gets.

dsharky said:
What trips me out is that i'm a new subscriber, so i got my 2 HD receiver free. but he is a current subscriber and he said Dish wants to charge him $300 for an HD reciever. I told him to threaten to go with VOOM and see how far he gets.

Just SOP. New customers always get a better deal. If he plays CSR roulette and is what Dish classifies as a "preferred customer" he should be able to get a 811 for $199 or less with a 1 year commitment to HD Pak.

NightRyder

Tell your friend to be patient.Dish is going to roll out a new existing customer upgrade plan soon. Existing customers will be able to swap out or add 811,510,311,301 model recievers. Your standing with Dish ( I assume on time payment of your bill,longevity,programming you subscribe to,ect,,will be determining factors) plays into the cost.

dsharky said:
Is there a problem with me just physically bringing one of my HD reciever over there?
I did this two months ago with a friend who was thinking about the 811 deal. I made sure to clear out the switch matrix (I've got a Dish300 at 61.5) and he was blown away by the picture on his Sony. Of course, he wanted to see HBO-HD (which I don't have on my subscription,) but he went ahead and signed up for the 811.
dsharky said:
In theory, this should work since everything is controlled via the access card inside anyways right?
I'm not sure what you're asking: The 811 you take over will still be authorized to receive your programming. If your friend subscribes to something different, you won't be able to get it on your 811, nor would you be able to move the access card from one of their receivers to put in the 811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)