SEEK and DVR

WickedStepMom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 24, 2019
Missouri
20190730_085231.jpg 20190730_085248.jpg 20190730_092041.jpg 20190730_092052.jpg
Set up programs to DVR in my Hopper3, sometimes it shows SEEK instead of DVR. I assume it means that when a new episode will air in the fall, that it will record but am I assuming correctly or do I need to monitor to make sure SEEK will change to DVR? There is no option to change the timer from SEEK to DVR.
When I first set up these timers, I had Dish local channels. I have since switched to an outside antenna and an AirTv adapter and dropped the Dish local channels. With SEEK, will it find the programs on the local channels since it shows ALL CHANNELS? I know that for anything that has a DVR timer on a channel prior to switching to OTA locals, I will need to create a new timer (i.e. CBS dish local 4 is now OTA CBS 4.1).
Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
I am a fan of the Bayern Munich football (soccer) team. Because there are games on several different channels I have a seek timer set for that. It records every new, I have the timer set that way, game no matter what channel it happens to show up on.

The difference between Seek and DVR is that Seek will look at all the channels while DVR is tied to the channel you selected. If you use a search to create a timer for a program it will set up a Seek. If you use the Guide to create a timer it creates a DVR. My experience has been that timers created with Seek do not always work correctly. Also Seek will sometimes record the SD version of the show instead of the HD version. Despite its shortcomings I have used Seek with a voice search to record future Hallmark movies that are not yet in the 14 day Guide. Hopefully this helps explain the differences.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If it does record with SEEK, that is great. When I had my VIP722K set a couple of years ago to record Supergirl, from one year to the next the original channel it was on dropped it and another picked it up. So I didn't see the first episode of the new season and I had to create a new timer with the new channel. If I had SEEK, then I would not have missed it.
Thanks for the information.

I am a fan of the Bayern Munich football (soccer) team. Because there are games on several different channels I have a seek timer set for that. It records every new, I have the timer set that way, game no matter what channel it happens to show up on.

The difference between Seek and DVR is that Seek will look at all the channels while DVR is tied to the channel you selected. If you use a search to create a timer for a program it will set up a Seek. If you use the Guide to create a timer it creates a DVR. My experience has been that timers created with Seek do not always work correctly. Also Seek will sometimes record the SD version of the show instead of the HD version. Despite its shortcomings I have used Seek with a voice search to record future Hallmark movies that are not yet in the 14 day Guide. Hopefully this helps explain the differences.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Sorry to revive an old thread. Is there any way to convert a "DVR" timer to a "Seek" timer? Is there anyway to get a seek timer by default. I have a number of shows that are recording as "Seek", which is great, since I get the new episodes on the original channel and reruns on whatever channel they show up on (only when I ask for New and Rerun). But for another show, I have managed (somehow!) to get 3 separate timers, each "DVR" and each a different channel. And, most importantly, until just recently, I noticed that the original channel wasn't there any more! So I pulled it out of PrimeTimeAnytime, and now I have four timers for that one show, each "DVR" and each a different channel. (Yeah, I'm repeating myself, but so are my timers!). Is there any way to either force a timer to be the "Seek" type, or to convert a "DVR" timer to "Seek". If I try to edit a "Seek" style timer, the "Type" field (that says "Seek") is grayed out and can't be changed. If I try to edit a "DVR" style timer, the only choices are "DVR" and "Autotune" (which just changes the channel and doesn't record). f

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sorry to revive an old thread. Is there any way to convert a "DVR" timer to a "Seek" timer? Is there anyway to get a seek timer by default. I have a number of shows that are recording as "Seek", which is great, since I get the new episodes on the original channel and reruns on whatever channel they show up on (only when I ask for New and Rerun). But for another show, I have managed (somehow!) to get 3 separate timers, each "DVR" and each a different channel. And, most importantly, until just recently, I noticed that the original channel wasn't there any more! So I pulled it out of PrimeTimeAnytime, and now I have four timers for that one show, each "DVR" and each a different channel. (Yeah, I'm repeating myself, but so are my timers!). Is there any way to either force a timer to be the "Seek" type, or to convert a "DVR" timer to "Seek". If I try to edit a "Seek" style timer, the "Type" field (that says "Seek") is grayed out and can't be changed. If I try to edit a "DVR" style timer, the only choices are "DVR" and "Autotune" (which just changes the channel and doesn't record). f
In setting under timers you can adjust the defaults.
For existing timers from dvr screen go to the timers tab up top then find the one you want to change and select then go to edit timer.

In setting under timers you can adjust the defaults.
For existing timers from dvr screen go to the timers tab up top then find the one you want to change and select then go to edit timer.
Thanks for the reply, however... Under Settings, I can only find setting defaults for things like how many minutes before and after the official time should the recording start, and other stuff like how many recordings to keep. And under "edit timer" from the timers tab on the dvr screen, the only option for "Type" is "DVR" or "Autotune", as stated in my original post...