Seeking comments on Hopper-series DISH receivers

Electrojim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Brea, CA
We've had DISH since moving into our home more than 20 years ago. I don't recall what receiver we had at first, but upgraded to a VIP612 at some point, and have gone through a couple of those now. On DISH's recommendation, we just upgraded again, to a Hopper HPR2000... and I'm not impressed.

First of all, the receiver comes with no documentation, nor can I find a manual for it online. No hints as to how to record and sort programs, how to program the remote for auxiliary gear, etc. And the operation is not nearly as intuitive as the old VIP receiver.

But we're working through it and at least are able to watch TV so far, but the unit does have one idiosyncrasy that makes me wonder if it's defective.

The first time you turn the system on for the day, it immediately (and without asking) goes through a [Check Switch - 833] and a [Acquire Signal - 535] routine. So no TV for 5-7 minutes. However, it will record off the satellite just fine before you turn it on, but if it's recording when you do turn it on, of course it quits recording while it goes through its boot-up&reset routine. This is maddening, and the DISH phone-tech, depending on which one you get, either says that it's normal, or that it's just that the installation is fresh and it has to download software and the guide. but the installer did that when he put it in. Anyway, every day?

I've complained bitterly, and DISH did finally agree to send someone out, making sure I was thankful that they reversed the charge for the visit, but I don't know what anyone can do except to replace the receiver. If this continues, I'm going to try to trade the Hopper back in for the VIP612, which was easier to use and trouble-free.

Anyone have input on this situation? I'd love to hear of similar experiences... or not. Many thanks, all.

On DISH's recommendation, we just upgraded again, to a Hopper HPR2000... and I'm not impressed.
If that's the old Hopper 1, I am shocked that Dish would recommend it; it's slow as molasses!

I thought the replacement for a 612 was a much newer and faster Hopper Duo. Or a cheaper Wally w/DVR conversion. Note that, if you buy the DVR conversion (or ever did so on the 211 series of receivers), the Wally will automatically turn on its second satellite tuner. And a $30 OTA adapter would give you 2 more tuners for your locals.

1. Tell Dish it ain’t working, and you want a Hopper 3. Period. No discussion.

2. Since they tried to foist a seriously outdated receiver on you, I can only imagine your credit score or payment history is not sterling. So you may have to pay $100 for the H3. It’s worth it. The original Hopper is NOT worth having today. I wouldn’t even accept an HWS (of which I have two- may upgrade later).

3. I’m not sure they will issue a ViP612 anymore. They are phasing these out in favor of Wallys and Hoppers.

4. The Hopper 3 is the best DVR on the market, from ANY satellite or cable provider. I do not expect a new improved version anytime soon.

1. Tell Dish it ain’t working, and you want a Hopper 3. Period. No discussion.

2. Since they tried to foist a seriously outdated receiver on you, I can only imagine your credit score or payment history is not sterling. So you may have to pay $100 for the H3. It’s worth it. The original Hopper is NOT worth having today. I wouldn’t even accept an HWS (of which I have two- may upgrade later).

3. I’m not sure they will issue a ViP612 anymore. They are phasing these out in favor of Wallys and Hoppers.

4. The Hopper 3 is the best DVR on the market, from ANY satellite or cable provider. I do not expect a new improved version anytime soon.
When I called to upgrade from the VIP612, I chose the Hopper Duo from their lineup, not having a need for as many tuners as the Hopper 3. THAT'S what I thought I'd get, and didn't even realize that a Hopper HPR2000 was NOT a Hopper Duo. I'm on hold with DISH right now to complain vociferously. Will report once they pick up.

The Hopper is a magnificent piece of equipment and in a world of electronics the absolute best thing I own. It's elegant, fast and smooth. The 54.0 remote is terrific. In your case I suggest that it's user error

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hey, I owe all of you a big thanks. The account guy I got when I called DISH was apologetic about foisting-off the old model receiver, especially when I told him that I'd been looking at the Hopper Duo online at the same time I was talking with the woman who took my initial change order. He's sending out a Hopper 3 for a $3.50 increase in my monthly bill, and waived the $100 or $150 (he wasn't sure) one-time 'equipment fee' when I whined about being a good and faithful customer for 20 years. I get the new gear on Monday the 4th and will post a follow-up when it's in and working. Again, guys, thanks for the tips!

Hey, I owe all of you a big thanks. The account guy I got when I called DISH was apologetic about foisting-off the old model receiver, especially when I told him that I'd been looking at the Hopper Duo online at the same time I was talking with the woman who took my initial change order. He's sending out a Hopper 3 for a $3.50 increase in my monthly bill, and waived the $100 or $150 (he wasn't sure) one-time 'equipment fee' when I whined about being a good and faithful customer for 20 years. I get the new gear on Monday the 4th and will post a follow-up when it's in and working. Again, guys, thanks for the tips!
If you have good OTA reception at your house, you’d be well served by getting an OTA module for the Hopper. This will add OTA DVR capability without using your satellite tuners and will let you watch locals when/if (heck, who am I kidding... when) Dish has a dispute with your local TV provider(s).

• Haha
Reactions: Howard Simmons
If you have good OTA reception at your house, you’d be well served by getting an OTA module for the Hopper. This will add OTA DVR capability without using your satellite tuners and will let you watch locals when/if (heck, who am I kidding... when) Dish has a dispute with your local TV provider(s).
I wish! We're less than 20 miles from Mt. Wilson, where all the L.A. area TVs and FMs are, but there's a range Snap8.jpg of hills in the way, so very limited off-air reception here, and it depends pretty much on where in town you are. I want to try a multi-bay like the Channel Master in the photo, but at best it may prove a short-term solution. Maybe best to go with the flow and ultimately settle on some sort of streaming delivery.

• Sad
Glad to report Hopper 3 installed (by someone who knew his stuff) and working just fine. Still learning the user interface and really regret not having a manual, paper or online, as there are a good many features that aren't immediately apparent. But it's pretty intuitive and doubtless I'll figure it out. Thanks again to all.

Thanks for the link, Dutch. I did get something called a Quick Start Guide that's similar, but it says Hopper 1 on the front, and what you found does have more and proper info on my model. I still miss details on, for instance, how to program the remote to turn other stuff on and off. Not all that clear, but I'm experimenting.

Thanks for the link, Dutch. I did get something called a Quick Start Guide that's similar, but it says Hopper 1 on the front, and what you found does have more and proper info on my model. I still miss details on, for instance, how to program the remote to turn other stuff on and off. Not all that clear, but I'm experimenting.
He gave you the wrong guide. There is one for the Hopper 2/Hopper 3 also. Your best bet is to record Hopper 3 Insider on Ch 103 one time. They go over every thing you can do with a Hopper 3

Why would they do this?
Dish has a lot of customers with older receivers that are about to need replaced (especially the SD-only ones). So, they have to replace them with whatever is still in stock, and will still technically work. Unfortunately, not everyone can get a Hopper 3. If Dish starts automatically handing those out first, they will run out of stock before everyone with older receivers can get upgraded. So, someone is going to end up getting stuck with old Hopper 1's as a replacement, either way.

Dish has a lot of customers with older receivers that are about to need replaced (especially the SD-only ones). So, they have to replace them with whatever is still in stock, and will still technically work. Unfortunately, not everyone can get a Hopper 3. If Dish starts automatically handing those out first, they will run out of stock before everyone with older receivers can get upgraded. So, someone is going to end up getting stuck with old Hopper 1's as a replacement, either way.
Does the Hopper 1 have a DVR? If a person wanted to record something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)