Selig wants suspension policy changed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Bud Selig stated he doesn't think players should be able to return to the minor leagues, like Manny Ramirez did, before their 50 game suspension is up. He thinks if a player needs to prepare for a return to the majors with a trip to the minors, that's their problem, and the trip to the minors should happen AFTER the 50 game suspension is over.

Fair point.

The real story is that no matter what he says or how he feels, Selig is powerless to make this change. This is yet another issue that has to be collectively bargained, so MLB won't even bring this up to the union until negotiations are under way for the next collective bargain agreement.

So for all those who say 'Selig should to this' and 'Selig should do that' regarding steroids, the truth is he can't. The union is too powerful.

David Stern can sent out a memo, an instantly there is a dress code for when players are traveling with their NBA team. Selig has no such power.

Sandra

Will teams be able to keep the player that replaces the suspended player after the 50 games is up while he is rehabbing in the minors?

I agree with Selig on this. I also agree with your assessment of Selig's power also. Where's "Mountain" Landis when you need him?

What? NOW he wants to think in term of "whats in the best interest of basebll"??!! TO LATE BUD, the horse is out the barn.....:rolleyes:

THIS is what happens when owners get rid of a commissioner with power and put a lame duck in the commissioners' chair.

The only way that things will change is if revenue is lost (i.e. fans stop going to games) or congress gets back into it. The MLBPA are the cheaters, so they aren't going to be for anything that increases punishment for their actions. The owners think that juicers hitting 450' bombs brings in more fans so they will happily continue to turn a blind eye.

One of the things that I liked about baseball as a kid was that it was the one sport where the players were just regular guys. They didn't have to be six and a half feet tall like basketball or be able to bench 500 lbs like in football. That really made the game seem more accessible to me.

This might be the first thing that Bud has said or done as commissioner that I have ever agreed with!

This might be the first thing that Bud has said or done as commissioner that I have ever agreed with!

All he can do is say it. The union would have to allow it in the next collective bargaining negotiations for it to matter.

Sandra

It looks like Fehr's successor will think about it: :p

"We will respond appropriately to any bargaining proposals advanced by the commissioner," said union general counsel Michael Weiner, who has been designated to succeed Donald Fehr as players' association head.

Weiner said the current rules were in place "to make certain that the penalty a player actually serves does not exceed the negotiated penalty."

I like the Wild Card playoff scenario like it is now, wasn't sure when it first came to be, but ya I like it .... not to many other things though.

fwiw, I agree, 50 games, BEFORE rehab if rehab is needed.

Jimbo

If Bonehead wants 50 games suspension, then in the next CBA makei it a 60 game suspension so that 50 games will be served before a rehab assignment can begin.

doesn't matter much to me - ManRam (and others) are out 50 games pay, so it's a hit in the wallet to miss that much time.

BTW, I think the shift of power will turn towards the owners now that Fehr is out. I'm trying to think with Fehr out, which union might be the strongest in professional sports and it might be baseball but not as much of power as they used to have.

Bud Selig stated he doesn't think players should be able to return to the minor leagues, like Manny Ramirez did, before their 50 game suspension is up. He thinks if a player needs to prepare for a return to the majors with a trip to the minors, that's their problem, and the trip to the minors should happen AFTER the 50 game suspension is over.

Fair point.

The real story is that no matter what he says or how he feels, Selig is powerless to make this change. This is yet another issue that has to be collectively bargained, so MLB won't even bring this up to the union until negotiations are under way for the next collective bargain agreement.

So for all those who say 'Selig should to this' and 'Selig should do that' regarding steroids, the truth is he can't. The union is too powerful.

David Stern can sent out a memo, an instantly there is a dress code for when players are traveling with their NBA team. Selig has no such power.

Sandra
Ridiculous. The suspension is from MLB not from the minors. Perhaps he can bar them from pickup games and going to the gym as well?

Ridiculous. The suspension is from MLB not from the minors. Perhaps he can bar them from pickup games and going to the gym as well?

LMAO!

What amazes me is how everything that is wrong with baseball is ALWAYS the unions fault.:rolleyes:

Look, if the owners had not run a strong commissioner out of town....they would have not had this problem.

...but hey, I guess the baseball union was also behind the murder of OJs ex and the killing of Michael Jackson too......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The minor leagues are tied directly to MLB, pickup games and the gym are not. Huge difference.

Sandra

"We will respond appropriately to any bargaining proposals advanced by the commissioner," said union general counsel Michael Weiner, who has been designated to succeed Donald Fehr as players' association head.

Weiner said the current rules were in place "to make certain that the penalty a player actually serves does not exceed the negotiated penalty."

This is the same vague canned-type response Fehr always uses. Weiner didn't actually say anything here.

There is no reason to think anything will change with the transition from Fehr to Weiner. I'm sure the union did all their due diligence while picking Fehr's successor.

Sandra

If Bonehead wants 50 games suspension, then in the next CBA makei it a 60 game suspension so that 50 games will be served before a rehab assignment can begin.

doesn't matter much to me - ManRam (and others) are out 50 games pay, so it's a hit in the wallet to miss that much time.

BTW, I think the shift of power will turn towards the owners now that Fehr is out. I'm trying to think with Fehr out, which union might be the strongest in professional sports and it might be baseball but not as much of power as they used to have.

I was just gonna say the same thing

If the union was doing its job of looking out for it players, it would demand 50 times the penalty for drugs that now exists. Drugs can either be illegal or mandatory. Why would any group of worker want to have to take illegal drugs that certainly do make you crazy and have all sorts of negative sexual side-effects, and might just kill you?

Mr. Selig needs to call Mr. Bettman and take a lesson. Lock them out until they break. It can be done. The NHL showed the way.

If the union was doing its job of looking out for it players, it would demand 50 times the penalty for drugs that now exists. Drugs can either be illegal or mandatory. Why would any group of worker want to have to take illegal drugs that certainly do make you crazy and have all sorts of negative sexual side-effects, and might just kill you?

Excellent. :up :up :up

Sandra

Mr. Selig needs to call Mr. Bettman and take a lesson. Lock them out until they break. It can be done. The NHL showed the way.

No, the unions job is not be doctors. The players NEW the side effects or what COULD happen...so because there was no rule in MLB, they went ahead anyway.

The owners could not pull the crap of locking out the players because they WERE ACTIVE ACCOMPLICES!

Can't accuse someone of something when you were indirectly involved...:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts