Service Menu for Dish Network HD-3400 Monitor

lnyoung

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
I had someone request this information. I thought I would post it here for anyone who needs it.

Let me reiterate how to do the service settings on this monitor. Please note, it is essential you write down the original settings before making changes. Changes made in these menus can make the set unwatchable!!!!
First set up the TV to watch a 1080I program on the 942 that is solid and will not be switching between SD and HD. Then change the mode to guide view.

Turn the monitor off using the power button on the Front of the monitor. Then on the front of the monitor push the following buttons in this order (the order is important):

Vol <
Ch down (triangle pointing down)
Power (Sometimes I have had to push the power button twice)
The power green light comes on and the monitor then should turn on and should be in the service mode.

Uses the channel buttons to select the Geometry area. Once in the geometry area, adjust the following:

V-position. Moves the picture up and down, without changing the size.
V-amplitude. Changes the overall height of the picture.
H-position. Moves the picture to the left and right, without changing the size.
H-amplitude. Changes the width of the picture

In general you should not need to change any other settings to fix the over-scan with the 942.

One final step. You must store these values, or they will only remain in effect until the set is powered off. Push the Ch down button in the geometry area until it appears to go off the bottom of the screen. You will then see the Store option. Select it (MENUOK button) and a check-mark will appear).

Turn the set off. Then turn the set on normally. Your new settings should be in place and the 942 will work excellently with the HD 3400.
You will probably need to do several iterations of this process to get everything perfect, especially with the extended guide information.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. Is this for the 34" 16:9 direct view HDTV that Dish sold in their "HD in a Box" promo a while back ? Has the Dish logo but is made by RCA ?

What about things like when the screen seems to curve a little to the left of right near the top or bottom ?

Also, does the "defaults" option set to original factory defaults or to whatever the last "saved" settings where? If the latter, is there a way to get it back to factory defaults ?

Thanks

A problem I always have is when turning the monitor on using the remote it always comes up in TV mode (chans 2-69) instead of DVI mode. This does happen if I turn it on via push button only remote.

Second I can seem to select video modes (DVI, Comp1, Comp2, Front, Vid1 Vid2) using the remote even though the choices appear using the page up/down keys.
Again no problem using push button on the set.

Any ideas?

waltinvt said:
Thanks for the report. Is this for the 34" 16:9 direct view HDTV that Dish sold in their "HD in a Box" promo a while back ? Has the Dish logo but is made by RCA ?

What about things like when the screen seems to curve a little to the left of right near the top or bottom ?

Also, does the "defaults" option set to original factory defaults or to whatever the last "saved" settings where? If the latter, is there a way to get it back to factory defaults ?

Thanks

Yes this set is the RCA/Thompson set that Dish sold with their "HD in a Box" promo. For me it has not been a bad HD monitor. It is even better with the 942, after adjustment for over-scan.

I suspect that screen curves are adjustable given the number of menu items available, but it is not a problem that I have with my set, so have done no experimentation.

I assume the "defaults" does change things back to the factory defaults, but don't know that. I have learned what I know by careful experimentation.

I have looked for the service manual for this set, but not found it.

I really need to record the HDNet test patterns tomorrow morning and carefully look at what some of these options do.

The one area I do need to work on is color convergence. I am not sure I want to touch that without a service manual.

um, well, I would say, be very careful in those menu's. I've got the 40" TV, and it is the same more or less. Convergence is, very easy, however, your eyes will hurt :), it more or less has 3 different sets, do the largest and you go through each cross and you press left, right, up, and down on the remote to line up the two lines until there is no bleeding of colors, you go through each one, then you switch to a different color and repeat. I think (it has been a while since I was in those menu's) it is the 200 point convergence. It will take you a while to go through each cross. No need for a service manual to do that, just line up all the lines so there is no bleeding, then switch to the next color (I believe there is 3, like I said it has been awhile). The menu tells you what to do when you select it. Then like the other, you have to save it after you are done.

jergenf said:
A problem I always have is when turning the monitor on using the remote it always comes up in TV mode (chans 2-69) instead of DVI mode. This does happen if I turn it on via push button only remote.

Second I can seem to select video modes (DVI, Comp1, Comp2, Front, Vid1 Vid2) using the remote even though the choices appear using the page up/down keys.
Again no problem using push button on the set.

Any ideas?

Press MENU on remote while in TV mode, select "Setup", then select "Preferences", then "Special Features" go down to "Initial Channel" press your left/right arrow buttons until "DVI DISH" is highlighted, then exit. That should make it so that when you turn your TV on it will be on DVI input.

Second? I don't know what you mean there, are you talking about pressing the "Video" button on the remote? Please clearify

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)