Service Plan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have some idea of what you are talking about! Its truly funny (as a member of advanced tech) that I had to call in to get someone with a Satbuddy to lock in my dish. I started the call with "I work with ADVANCED TECH" and still having them ask me to do the steps was interesting, to say the least. I can only imagine how bad it is as a tech in the field.
At least you now the s%$# sometimes we have to deal with tsrs or atsrs.

Where can I find a complete description of what services are provided? I have been paying every month for six years. Never benefited before. Need help now, can't find information as to what is covered. Dish network site is totally worthless.

tdscpa said:
Where can I find a complete description of what services are provided? I have been paying every month for six years. Never benefited before. Need help now, can't find information as to what is covered. Dish network site is totally worthless.

Im sure someone with more info will jump in, but basically it covers replacement receivers with free shipping, and tech visits are $15.00 vs $95.00. The rate has increased to $7.00/month but there is no longer a cancellation fee. So you can add it when you need it, and then take it off your account as soon as the issue is resolved. For the last couple of years there was a $25.00 fee if you didn't keep the plan for 150 days (or there about)
I have had receivers replaced at no charge and several tech visits over the years. I think it is worth it to play service plan roulette, rather than pay every month. However if you prefer peace of mind paying every month is a good thing.
In general I'm not a fan of service plans for electronics. However this one does save you some bucks especially now that the cancellation fee is gone

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

As of yesterday, DIRT reported that the $25 cancellation fee for removing the Protection Plan within the first 120 days has been reinstated. :(

Everything with a DISH brand is covered just call $15 for the service call. You can always call 1-800-333-3474 and ask tech support, 800# are still free. If you don't like the answer or accent call back it is still a free call.

As of yesterday, DIRT reported that the $25 cancellation fee for removing the Protection Plan within the first 120 days has been reinstated. :(

Look on the bright side when I was with D* you could not use their protection plan until 30 days after, once you signed up for it.

If DISH would do that, that would take care of this signup and cancel stuff.;):D

The one exception to this is anyone who added the Protection Plan during the time when DISH was not charging a removal fee can remove it once at no charge. However, once it has been removed and added back on, the $25 removal fee is applied upon next removal. In my honest opinion, paying the $7/month for the Protection Plan is a small price to pay given the amount and spectrum of costs that it covers.

Last edited:
Personally, my view is, on anything where I'm paying a monthly fee that includes a lease of equipment to access the service, anything that stops working during the course of normal usage (or non-usage) is up to the service provider to fix. It's their equipment, and if it stops working through no fault of my own and the service (in this case, television channels) doesn't get delivered, I'm not getting what I paid for (television channels).

Fortunately, a couple of times where my Dish has gotten misaligned, I called in and they set a guy out for free. The first time I hear "$95 please" or "We need you to sign up at your expense for a service plan for $7 a month times 6 months plus pay us $15" to fix something that went wrong with their equipment and prevents me from watching what I pay them for, I'll ask to be transferred to cancellations and then call 1-800-Comcast if they don't offer to do it for free before I get off the phone.

I know that probably seems old-fashioned. But I don't get why anyone should have to pay for repairs to equipment they don't own so they can get a service they are paying for from the people leasing them the equipment. It's strange. Might be different if the equipment was mine to keep and capable of doing anything else besides accessing the paid monthly Dish service. But this is something you have to return to Dish when you cancel, and can only be used to access programming you pay them for.

Personally, my view is, on anything where I'm paying a monthly fee that includes a lease of equipment to access the service, anything that stops working during the course of normal usage (or non-usage) is up to the service provider to fix. It's their equipment, and if it stops working through no fault of my own and the service (in this case, television channels) doesn't get delivered, I'm not getting what I paid for (television channels).

Fortunately, a couple of times where my Dish has gotten misaligned, I called in and they set a guy out for free. The first time I hear "$95 please" or "We need you to sign up at your expense for a service plan for $7 a month times 6 months plus pay us $15" to fix something that went wrong with their equipment and prevents me from watching what I pay them for, I'll ask to be transferred to cancellations and then call 1-800-Comcast if they don't offer to do it for free before I get off the phone.

I know that probably seems old-fashioned. But I don't get why anyone should have to pay for repairs to equipment they don't own so they can get a service they are paying for from the people leasing them the equipment. It's strange. Might be different if the equipment was mine to keep and capable of doing anything else besides accessing the paid monthly Dish service. But this is something you have to return to Dish when you cancel, and can only be used to access programming you pay them for.

This is something i have thought about before also. The way i look at it is this. The equipment i have is expensive, but i got it at almost nothing by leasing it. Sure, I have to pay the monthly fee...but it is not much. DISH programming is relatively inexpensive for the quality of channels and amount of channels i have. Also, I like how DISH gives me a choice. My programming rates are not raised so that they can incorporate the cost of my neighbor's tech visit into my monthly bill. That is the main thing for me. If i dont want to pay anything monthly, I dont have to. Whereas I have seen other providers have higher monthly programming costs to offset the cost of other people's tech visits.

This is something i have thought about before also. The way i look at it is this. The equipment i have is expensive, but i got it at almost nothing by leasing it. Sure, I have to pay the monthly fee...but it is not much. DISH programming is relatively inexpensive for the quality of channels and amount of channels i have. Also, I like how DISH gives me a choice. My programming rates are not raised so that they can incorporate the cost of my neighbor's tech visit into my monthly bill. That is the main thing for me. If i dont want to pay anything monthly, I dont have to. Whereas I have seen other providers have higher monthly programming costs to offset the cost of other people's tech visits.
Also to consider, the tech visit fee has nothing to do with whether the equipment is owned or leased, it's to pay for the time of the person making the house call.

Excellent post!.That's basically what happened with me,I had DISH,I left,I came back because of all the choices I have to choose from with DISH.Of course having the most basic HD channels helps too.:)

Concerning their Protection Plan I do and will always carry it.Just had to replace my "owned" VIP922/wMT2 the other day so I'm a few years in the black.;):D

I understand that people think that leased equipment should be covered no matter what but the service plan covers more than just the equipment. Dish will go to your house and help you change the input on your TV if you wanted. They repoint your Dish when it gets moved by something. Those are things that should not be covered but they do, so there's added value for you.

Dang! Had I know I could drop the plan without a penalty I would have done it a long time ago. It was $6 when I signed up then they raised it to $7 without warning.

I understand that people think that leased equipment should be covered no matter what but the service plan covers more than just the equipment. Dish will go to your house and help you change the input on your TV if you wanted. They repoint your Dish when it gets moved by something. Those are things that should not be covered but they do, so there's added value for you.

I definitely agree. Also keep in mind, if you move to a new home, DISH will come and do a whole new installation....regardless if you have the Protection Plan or not. Makes me wonder if that would be possible if the PP was not offered to offset the cost.

**edit** I forgot to include "at no cost whatsoever, and as long as this is not a special installation including sat 118.7 or a superdish.

Last edited:
Dang! Had I know I could drop the plan without a penalty I would have done it a long time ago. It was $6 when I signed up then they raised it to $7 without warning.
As long as you have had it for 120 days you can still drop it without a penalty. And would $25 (3 mo. of payments) really stop you from cancelling?

boba said:
As long as you have had it for 120 days you can still drop it without a penalty. And would $25 (3 mo. of payments) really stop you from cancelling?

No waiting period since the most recent price increase

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts