Service with fastest internet satellite upload

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Howdy Folks, first time post in this section.

My wife was just offered a job doing medical billing from our home. The pay is much better than what she is making as an office manager. There is one hitch: they want her to have dsl or cable internet, niether of which we can get in our rural location. What they told her is that satellite internet is not fast enough for this type of work.

Here is my question: is there a two way satellite service that comes close to the upload speeds of DSL? If so, what companies offer such a service and what kind of plans are available?

Thanks,
Doc

Hi Claude,
I am not sure if a VPN connection is being used or not.

What she was told is that via dsl people were able to submit over 1000 lines of information a day, and with satellite they were only able to submit 200 lines of info per day.

What I think is happening is these folks that have tried before are using the lowest price satellite up/down links available. I looked at some of the hughes offerings such as the professional package with dl speeds of 1 mbps and upload of 200 kbps, or the small office which offers dl speeds of 1.5 mbs and upload of 300 kbps. These seem to be much faster than the Verizon offerings for cheap dsl.

She is going to talk to the folks that offered her the job on Monday, and find out if indeed she is going to be using a VPN. From what I understand, vpn's dont work well with satellite.

drhydro said:
Hi Claude,
I am not sure if a VPN connection is being used or not.

What she was told is that via dsl people were able to submit over 1000 lines of information a day, and with satellite they were only able to submit 200 lines of info per day.

What I think is happening is these folks that have tried before are using the lowest price satellite up/down links available. I looked at some of the hughes offerings such as the professional package with dl speeds of 1 mbps and upload of 200 kbps, or the small office which offers dl speeds of 1.5 mbs and upload of 300 kbps. These seem to be much faster than the Verizon offerings for cheap dsl.

She is going to talk to the folks that offered her the job on Monday, and find out if indeed she is going to be using a VPN. From what I understand, vpn's dont work well with satellite.

More than likely the people are using one of the older systems like a 6000 which is only around 50k up. Take a look at these pics in this thread, this is the speed test of the newest modem with just the home plan I installed yesterday.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=70338 post 24

Now the speed test was on my laptop which is not running any type of internet security or antivirius.

If they are using a VPN order a static IP. see this http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2011

Q: Can I use VPN to communicate to my work through my satellite connection? (#2011)
A: You are very unlikely to have success with a Consumer edition of a DirecWay product due to the lack of a unique public IP. You can, however, run a VPN client, or even a server on the Business Edition with a static, unique public IP.

Remember though, even if you are able to establish a VPN connection, it will be very slow. Since VPN packets are encrypted, the various tricks that are played to accelerate TCP connections on these high latecny systems cannot be used. Many people have found that their VPN connection is faster on a dial-up connection than on a satellite connection

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)