setting up satelite (dishnetwork) for RV

svoltaire

Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
North Carolina
I am a dish network customer and want to take my service with me this summer while in vacation I have an RV. I have read online that doing this is no big deal. Problem is I bought a simple dish assuming it would be ok with the intention of using my second room reciever from my house. Now I am concerned that the dish is going to be as important as the receiver. I bought a signal locater and have found signals and have been successful up to the point of being able to download the program data but have not as yet been able to get the programs themselves to work. Is the LNB the key or do I have to match reciever to a specific LNB. Please don't remind me what a simpleton I am I have figured that one out. Whatever help you can provide is appreciated.

Type of receiver

Its a vip211 I think that is whats on the box. I have found out on this site (thanks)so far that in order to get the same programing as at Home I will have to get a three lnb dish (so much for my attempt at low cost) and since I am in the eastern us the satelites I am looking for are going tobe 77 72.5 and 61.5 so my aim will be totally different than what I was trying toget to.

The same dish you have on the roof at home, mounted on a suitable tripod, will be far and away the best value.

Most other solutions involve major dollars (>$1,000) or having to completely re-aim the dish (azimuth and elevation) with some channel changes.

I'd suggest asking your RV buddies that have DISH Network what they recommend. I'd also recommend that you practice the eyes-glazing-over face in case they start talking about the wonders of "domes".

You can use EA or WA with your receiver. The problem is, you won't get your locals if they're on a satellite you aren't receiving. With an RV that shouldn't be a big deal because when you leave your home spot beam area you'll loose them anyway.

To use a dish that's different than your home setup, you need to run check switch to set up the receiver for the different hardware.

I carry both a EA and WA dish in my RV. Whichever setup has a clear LOS is the one I use at the time. I don't find one more difficult to set up than the other.

First of all,welcome to our forum. Next, I have to say" WHY DO YOU WANT HIGH DEF IN A CAMPER?" I have worked on too many systems on campers. We have major campgrounds and lakes here. I am always amazed that people go to the woods and complain that their cellphone don't work, their is no wireless service, and they can't get satellite programming. It's camping, people. If you want all that stuff, stay in a motel and save a lot of suffering. That being said, I'll try to help. First, the three LNB dish is the hardest to aim. If you have a basic signal meter, it won't hardly cut it. You need something to read signal on all three sat's at once, or at least one that can switch sat's on command. You'll hear about putting tin foil over the eyes to test only one LNB at a time. Depending on your meter, this probably won't work. Most meters are non-selective and give a reading on signal, but does not identify it. Even with LNB's blocked off, it could read the wrong one LNB's are nonselective as well. If I were you, I'd settle for a 500 dish with a pro-plus twin to take on the road. This won't get you hidef, but it is a tough system that is lighter and easier to aim. I have struggled with the three LNB dishes on roofs with a clear LOS (Line Of Sight) and in the woods shooting for a hole in the foliage. Would not want to do it on vacation especially without being paid. Check with you RV buddies. Maybe they have a trick or two. Make sure they are talking about a new-style dish. Like I said, the older ones are easier to aim. Good Luck and remember: if your HD t.v. wont work, step outside and look around. This is live HD and it's free.

Reactions: Bdspecial
Next, I have to say" WHY DO YOU WANT HIGH DEF IN A CAMPER?"
Who said anything about a camper? You make it sound like all RVs are something that you load into the back of the ol' pick-em-up on Friday night before a huntin' trip. ;)

I recently toured a coach that had three appropriately sized and tastefully installed HDTVs in it.

WOW thanks to all so far who have taken the time to reply. First let me say that HD is not gotta have but why not if the capabilty is no that hard to get and I pay for it at home. We will be set up for a month at a time away from home and what the heck if you know what I mean. Second let me make sure I am getting the lesson here. If I use a new dish I will have torun the check switches to make sure the system sees the new dish? What specifically should I be shopping for to find a satelite finder as described that will id the satelites instead of just telling there something out there. Also how painful will the experience be to acquire one?

If I use a new dish I will have torun the check switches to make sure the system sees the new dish?
If you use something different that what you use at home, yes. Otherwise, it should work without tinkering
What specifically should I be shopping for to find a satelite finder as described that will id the satelites instead of just telling there something out there. Also how painful will the experience be to acquire one?
One of those $9 eBay ones should be fine. The important part will be picking out a good tripod to mount the dish on and bringing a level and with you to make sure the mast is plumb.

Before you go, use something like dishpointer.com to establish the parameters for where you are staying. You might want to preset the elevation and tilt before you leave in case you forget to bring your parameters with you.

Finally, the first time out, you should do a test run at home to make sure you understand what's going on before you leave the comfort of Internet access.

Reactions: Bdspecial
+1 on the tripod and the same dish you have at your house. If you have 10 minutes per stop, you should be able to get it aimed.

Once you get used to it, you can get it done rather quickly. It is rare that it takes me over 5 minutes to aim a western arc dish. I do cheat a little with my Dishpointer App on my Iphone.

I have a 211 that I load in the Motohome along with a Dish 500/ dual LNB to receive 119 and 110 sats. Easy to lock on to and if you want the networks contact All American Direct for RV waiver. Never had a problem.

Need to add another ? As you all have helped me understand I will only get one satelite per LNB? If I use a single lnb what would be the correct satelite to aim at. I have gotten signal ( I am practicing at home with a protable dish ) and have gotten programing to download but have yet to get an actual program to come on. This is all new to me so again I appreciate whatever education you are all willing to give me warts and all.

Aim it at 119 or 110, run check switch and you should get the programing on whichever one you're aimed at. When you connect it back up at home, you'll have to run check switch again.

Unless you're only going to watch one channel, I can't recommend a single LNB. They aren't really that much easier to aim and you don't want to have to adjustment both azimuth (easy) and elevation (not as easy) to the dish to view programming from another slot.

OK one more it seems as I learn I also learn I still have more to learn. When setting up the tri lnb (on its way now) is there a specific line out to specific satelite? Or will I just have to check the set program once I am aimed close. ie the satelites all have different az and elev etc so when for instance I am setting up for eastern arc should my focus be 72.5 or 77 . and since they are located in slightly different locations do I somehow account for that by getting one close and move till I get the other? I know lots of questions but like I said the more you educate me the more I find out I don't know and really appreciate the help.

Setting the skew takes care of the differences between satellites. If you're careful setting the number up on the scale, you shouldn't need to dial the skew in.

It will be much easier to explain this after you've seen the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts