Setup QS for full time RVers

Cyberdave1

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Texas
Hello,
We've been full time RVers for a long time. Up until this last summer we would travel with the weather and not stay in one spot more than 2-3 weeks. We've slowed down a little deciding to travel between PA and the RGV (Rio Grand Valley) for awhile. In PA LOS is a bit tricky since we have a lot of high trees. I'll have a tower put up this year so I can get a reliable signal. There are some details I need to figure out.

We've used a Winegard Carryout for a four years as we traveled and there are some changes I have to do to swap between the tripod / Carryout configurations.

The Carryout requires that there is no splitter between the output and input and that the receiver be set to an SW64 (software switch).Since we'll still use the Carryout when travelling, I need to figure out an easy way to change the coax configuration from one to the other.

The configuration is simple but setting it up is bit tricky as there is not a lot of access to the rear of the receiver.

What i'll need to be able to do is switch between a 'normal' coax setup to a single coax to the sat 1 input for the carryout and the normal single coax to splitter then to each sat input.

We are listed as an RV account so I switch locals constantly with no issues. However since the Harrisburg PA HD locals are on the EA only I need to figure out the easiest configuration. I already have a 1000.2 WA up there but I can get the 1000.4 EA if needed... A few fulltimers have said they switch between WA / EA arcs travelling from New England to points West / South..
Here is what I am considering.
Option A, use my existing WA dish and hang a third dish to pick up the HD locals.
Option B, get a 1000.4 with EA LNB's and switch between EA / WA in the receiver.

One other QS a friend has asked if he could use on port on the dish for his RV. The other two I'll use for the primary receiver and a second receiver that I'll install in a Gazebo. What other considerations will I need to address for this setup?
Receiver is a Vip 622R.

I would recommend a 1000.2EA Dish, rather then a 1000.4EA Dish, but it really does not matter. Unless you are watching the Spanish programming, the 77 satellite is virtually useless to you. As far as your friend wanting to use one of the ports on the Dish, he can, but remember the DPP LNB's support up to 6 tuners. anything more than that, and you will need a switch(I will be argued with, but might as well go for the DPP 44 switch if necessary). Each port on the LNB(there should be 3 and a swing dish add on, but I am unfamiliar with the 1K.2EA LNB to be completely honest) can support 2 tuners. So that should also narrow down what needs to be done to get the preferred installation.

For the cabling, extend Satellite 1 and Satellite 2 to the outside (add one cable). Then you can direct connect the Carryout to Sat 1 extended. The dish you use in the north can have either a dual coax run to Sat 1 and Sat 2 or a single coax and have the Separator feed Sate 1 and Sat 2. I would run dual coax.

Where RVs stay, OTA reception is usually not good Claude.

I would recommend a 1000.2EA Dish, rather then a 1000.4EA Dish, but I am unfamiliar with the 1K.2EA LNB to be completely honest)

Why would you recommend something you are unfamiliar with? Have you personally set up either of these dishes? I've used both of these dishes and would recommend the 1000.4 dish. It is a larger, sturdier dish and is easier to tweak.

Why would you recommend something you are unfamiliar with? Have you personally set up either of these dishes? I've used both of these dishes and would recommend the 1000.4 dish. It is a larger, sturdier dish and is easier to tweak.
Because of prior feedback I have heard on the 1k.2EA, but like I said, there would be someone to argue the point. I have no personal experience with it, so if you want to provide personal experience with him, be my guest.

Apparently there is a little confusion going on.
I am totally familiar with the Carryout as we've had one since it's introduction. That's NOT the question at all. When we are parked in PA I'll use the 1000.2 WA I already have and use a second dish to pick up Harrisburg HD locals. I need to support a dual tuner and a second tuner and an additional tuner for my friend. Since the Carryout can only tune to one sat at a time, it's not an option for there. When I travel, and stay for an extended period, I want the 1000.4 WA due to it's ease of fine tuning. For brief stays I'll use the Carryout.

Why don't you get s tailgater and just get locals on western arc, or give them an address with western arc locals.

Could also get an antenna and use that for locals

Not an option. OTA reception is lousy even with the best equipment. You have to think about the 100+ mile distance and the mountains between.

Why a Tailgator when it wouldn't address my needs? As I said in my OP I've been at this for more than five years full time...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts