SF Giants first to clinch division crown!

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

2004 NL MVP
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
San Francisco takes NL West crown
Ah, feels good. Now all we need to do is overtake the Braves and we are set. SF has the best home record in baseball. The Giants have lead the west "wire to wire".
Barry Bonds said:
"We have more games to play and sometimes you lose focus," he said. "Sometimes that can be your downfall. You can't just turn it on and off, so the guys have to be ready every day and keep going. We've got a good team, but in the playoffs anything can happen. You can party all you want to, but it can end real quick."

James, wondered how long before I'd see you post something.

The wire to wire thing is not as difficult as it used to be. I saw the stats last night and noticed it had only been done 4 times before the 90's. It's been done 5 times in the last 6 years. This is where comparing stats from years gone by needs alot of asterisks.

I heard the blowhard from Phoenix, Steve Lyons, talking about how the DBacks have been in the post season in consecutive years, a feat the Giants haven't done since their move to SF. Again, when the divisions are much smaller, those statements hold alot less weight. The field of playoff teams went from 4 to 8 in the last few years. Of course you can't compare stats before 6 divisions and 2 wild cards, unbalanced schedules and inter-league play. I wish Lyons would disappear...he's such a friggin' idiot.

Anyway...as to the Giants, I remember them beating the Pads back in '87 for their first playoff appearance in my memory. This year's playoff berth has nowhere near the excitement. Maybe it's the fact that they've been in the post season 3 out of the last 4 years, maybe the fact they had such a huge lead that this has been "expected" since the All-Star break, or, maybe I feel a little like Bonds in that it's either the WS Champs or nothing. I really hope they can get it done this year. With the age of the team, and the appearance that San Diego may be a challenger next year with their new ballpark, I don't think they'll be an odds on favorite next year.

mikew said:
With the age of the team, and the appearance that San Diego may be a challenger next year with their new ballpark, I don't think they'll be an odds on favorite next year.
You really think so? Ask Detroit and Milwaukee how that new stadium is going... ;)

Bonds couldn’t hit his way out of a wet paper bag during the playoffs when he was in Pittsburgh which earned him the name “Mr. Regular Season.” Not to mention he throws like a girl with lollipop like throws where the old, Sid Bream can score from 2nd on a base hit.

Roger, that was years ago... He was the best player in the WS last year.

Hey, BTW... Thanks for Schmidt. He should get the Cy Young this year.

"Hey, BTW... Thanks for Schmidt. He should get the Cy Young this year."

Another of the infamous one-sided trades... what the hell did we get in return?:)

"He was the best player in the WS last year.'

What does WS stand for? They surely didn't go to the World Series did they? What are the chances of the Chicago Pirates this year?

Roger said:
Another of the infamous one-sided trades... what the hell did we get in return?:)
Armando Rios right? Broke some bone the first game he was there....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts