Atlanta
Hello!!
My equipment:
Box: Viewsat vspro
Dish: WS9036
Motor: Powermax SG9120
LNB: DMX521 10750Mhz

What I did:
Pointed the dish to true south the best I could with a compass, than I drove the motor to Galaxy 19, moved the elevation up a little bit and maybe did move the mounting a few degrees west and got 75% Quality. (When I locked the signal and Quality show up in full color blue and yellow on my tv)

My problem:
Now when I tried to go to SES 101w the signal and quality keep fluctuating up and down between 35% and 40%(In a gray color indicating that is not locked). I change my TP to 101 (AMC4)-12060 H 26700 and the signal and quality locked on right away in full color, but when I do a blind scan nothing is coming up not a single channel. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Your mast needs to be absolutely plumb. Use a 2ft or longer bubble level.

Your declination on the motor needs to be set for your latitude 33.75 degrees

Did you take magnetic declination in account? In Atlanta magnetic North is 4 degrees to the West. So when your compass is aiming at 176 degrees that is your true South.

Stand a few feet behind your dish so the metal doesn't interfere with the compass. From the center of your mast aim at a point at least 25yrd away and put a stick or something at your true South.

Then aim your dish/motor at that. Your skew should be zero also.

Your close to true South satellite is 85w AMC16

12184 H 3978

look for this transponder first before you look for anything else

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I did double check the pole, and I did take the declination in to account. I guess my mistake was to go to G19 first instead of the closer sat to my location. I will try that tomorrow and would let you know.

Thank You!!!

If you used USALS to drive the motor to G19, it really does not matter what satellite you started with. This notion that you need to find your true south then identify the true south satellite first is a hold over to the old days with installers using the DiSEqC 1.2 mode, which requires the manual location and saving of each satellite position. It will be easy to identify the satellites as long as the motor is generally aimed towards true south while it is still parked at the zero position, then activate USALS and drive the motor to the desired satellite. It will be easier to locate the satellite if it is near true south and at the top of the arc.

Is the receiver set to Standard type LNB, with LO frequency set to 10750? Did you scan G19 to verify that you were on the Galaxy19 satellite? Many transponders found on G19 will give Signal Quality readings on other satellites as the transponders are either identical or close and will produce false readings.

I would suggest that you use USALS to drive to Galaxy 19. Verify the motor has moved into approximate direction then peak Signal Quality on 12152 Horizontal 2000. Once peaked, perform a TP scan on that transponder frequency to verify reception of Al Jeezera News. Now select SES1 in USALS, confirm that the motor moves into position and verify SQ on 12060 Horizontal 26700. Peak if needed then perform a transponder scan.

Last edited:
Well that's what I did I pointed the dish to true south with a help of a compass, than I told USLAS to go to G19. I did move close enough for me to adjust elevation and move a little bit west to get 75% quality. So i did get all the chanels that I need from G19. After that I use USALS to go to SES101, and it did move a few degrees. After that I was getting signal and quality in that location, but they where shaded gray and when I did a blind search I didnt get a single chanel. I also try 12060 Horizontal 26700 (Got it from this site). It give me 90% quality in full color yellow on my screen just like G19, than again when I did the blind search I got nothing.

If your sure of a strong active tp on 101w try pulling up or down slightly on the dish and see if you get a noticeable increase in your sig Q.If you do then i would think your declination is alittle off or your dish is alittle off when pointing true south.

The vs pro's blindscan is worthless so don't even bother using it.If your getting signal and quality on tp 12060 with both bars not "grayed" you should be able to scan in the channels on that tp with the "channel scan option".

panek75 you were right! I did a regular scan and I got 24 channels (20 scramble and 4 FTA). Today is raining here in GA. So I didnt get to move the dish. Now how can I get the rest of the channels? Do I have to do the same for each TP?

Thank you!!!

If you used USALS to drive the motor to G19, it really does not matter what satellite you started with. This notion that you need to find your true south then identify the true south satellite first is a hold over to the old days with installers using the DiSEqC 1.2 mode, which requires the manual location and saving of each satellite position. It will be easy to identify the satellites as long as the motor is generally aimed towards true south while it is still parked at the zero position, then activate USALS and drive the motor to the desired satellite. It will be easier to locate the satellite if it is near true south and at the top of the arc.

Is the receiver set to Standard type LNB, with LO frequency set to 10750? Did you scan G19 to verify that you were on the Galaxy19 satellite? Many transponders found on G19 will give Signal Quality readings on other satellites as the transponders are either identical or close and will produce false readings.

I would suggest that you use USALS to drive to Galaxy 19. Verify the motor has moved into approximate direction then peak Signal Quality on 12152 Horizontal 2000. Once peaked, perform a TP scan on that transponder frequency to verify reception of Al Jeezera News. Now select SES1 in USALS, confirm that the motor moves into position and verify SQ on 12060 Horizontal 26700. Peak if needed then perform a transponder scan.

For starters my sg2100 sucks on USALS

If he finds his most true south sat first, he will more likely have his elevation and apogee correct throughout his arc. The arc is Piedmont. if he only gets a couple sats near the apogee then we know the motors declination is off a little.

I like setting up the dish first without the motor at the southmost sat.
Then use a dial-inclinometer to measure the angle on the LNB arm.
Lock down the dish's elevation.
Then put the motor and dish on.
Adjust the motors declination to match the measured angle on the LNB arm.
Declination...perfect

USALS positioning is not a function of the motor, it is a calculation from 0 (zero) issued by the receiver. True implemention of USALS also includes a return channel with motor communicating with the receiver. The SG2100 opearates with USALS commands (Go to X), but it is not fully USALS compliant. So many versions of the SG2100, it would be nearly impossible to determine what manufacturer made your motor and why it is different than the SG2100 motors that have operated flawlessly using USALS on my systems (one for over 10 years).

Declination...perfect

This method does not make sense to me..... Did you mean: Set the Motor's latitude scale setting to match the install location's latitude then adjust the dish elevation angle to match the previous reading taken with the inclinometer mounted on the dish arm?

Last edited:
Its been a while. Your right,

set the latitude on the motor.

put the dish back on and use the angle finder to get your elevation again.

That lnb arm needs to be in the same position with the motor on also

Hello again! Sorry but I was trying to re-align my dish correctly, and after countless try it didn't work. I was only getting the channels on Galaxy 19. I knew that I have done everything according to the instructions, and even if I was off by 1 or 2 degrees I should have been able to get the rest of the birds by adjusting my dish, but I was not successful, so I decide to buy a new box (Geosat pro DRS200).
I got the box 2 hrs ago and I just plug it in, set it up on Galaxy 19 using USALS, and it worked.!!!! So far I have scan 3 different birds G19, G3, SES 101.

THANK YOU GUYS!!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND HELP..

(PS) Sorry it took me so long, but I was debating to buy a new box or not.
Does anyone wants to buy a use VS pro? LOL....

If he finds his most true south sat first, he will more likely have his elevation and apogee correct throughout his arc. The arc is Piedmont. if he only gets a couple sats near the apogee then we know the motors declination is off a little.

Declination...perfect
That's kind of how I set mine the first time too. I measured the angle of the face of the dish fixed on my true south sat. Then when I added the motor, I set the dish face at the same angle. Tracked the arc great for me.

For starters my sg2100 sucks on USALS
Mine did too.
And I got so used to DiSeqc that I set up my 9120b with it as well. Still haven't played with USALS (or as I call it "USELESS":D) enough to have it work for me.

Most of the better FTA receivers will control H-H motors without any trouble, but many of the receivers that were primarily used for hacking are next to useless for motor control.

USALS works wonders as long as your motorized system is aligned perfectly to the arc, and you use accurate latitude and longitude settings. Another thing that is essential is that your dish is properly centered on the motor shaft (I'll have more on that when I get my SG-9120 motor thread started)...

is essential is that your dish is properly centered on the motor shaft
That is a major issue with mounting dishes with U-bolt type mounts. I have installed hundreds of motorized dishes, but always dreaded mounting a U-bolt design dish onto a motor! Doesn't matter how much experience one has, it just adds one more variable.....

I prefer the ease of aiming and the idiot proofing which a mast clamp with the bolt that passes through the motor post hole provides. I always recommend that a newbies first motorized dish be with a dish that has a mast clamp design rather than a U-bolt type. One less thing that can go wrong!

I thought the bolt through the motor shaft hole was foolproof as well ;) ...

I really need to start that motor install thread, but the project is on hold due to, of all things, extremely thick fog during the times I would be working on it. Hopefully the weather will clear out next week.

Long story short, there was enough play even with the bolt through the motor shaft to set my TS off by about 3-4 degrees :eek: ... Lesson learned though--ALWAYS check and double check to be sure that the dish is centered, even if there's a bolt. I was pulling my hair out for hours wondering why I couldn't track the arc properly.

If you are talking about the SG9120, (That is the motor I have) mine didn't have a single hole in the shaft to center the dish. But now it's working wonders!!! I'm really happy with it. Thanks to you guys!!!!!

Lesson learned though--ALWAYS check and double check to be sure that the dish is centered, even if there's a bolt. I was pulling my hair out for hours wondering why I couldn't track the arc properly.

Agreed! I run the motor to the zero (0) position then take a measurements from the dish edge on both sides of the reflector to a common fixed point on the motor (like the a elevation adjustment bolt) and compare. If they are not identical I adjust the dish mounting on the motor post until both sides of the reflector are the exact measurement.

Another problem with the U-bolt design in both fixed and motorized installs is that the dish is easily skewed or rotated out of correct positioning when tightening the nuts. Torque evenly while tightening and constantly check the alignment. Those pesky u-bolts steer a dish off target in a heartbeat and they have crushed many a pole when just one more turn of the wrench produces too much pressure on opposite sides of the pole. Once the mast is crushed, it is so difficult to fine tune the dish aiming!

If you are talking about the SG9120, (That is the motor I have) mine didn't have a single hole in the shaft to center the dish. But now it's working wonders!!! I'm really happy with it. Thanks to you guys!!!!!

:D Great group of guys here that love helping others with the technology! In reviewing the advice that we provided in this thread, I see that none of us had addressed that fact that you had a U-bolt type dish and that it also needed to be aligned with the motor. I think a few of our motor install threads need to be modified to add this advice!

Probably designed that way as most larger dishes designed for motor mounting are U-bolt design to minimize the AZ/EL bracket weight. Be nice if they redesigned as many of us retrofit the U-bolt design to add a bolt that passes through the mount and the posts to prevent spinning. Is the post metal appropriate for drilling or is it pot metal?

Last edited:
Well I did read the instructions and I figure that the dish suppose to be center on the motor shaft. It is kind of difficult because the material is kind of like pot metal. But after I got everything working right I marked the dish location to zero the shaft everything that I could think. So if it goes out of line it would be easier to re align.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts