Shaw/EVu setup in Southern US

IMHO you should have went with Shaw anyways. In a few years when they change the footprint of 91W like they did with 82W you will have no signal at all for Bell TV in Texas.

Frenchophile gave you good advise by suggesting Shaw Direct was the way to go for Canadian TV in the southern US.

I still don't understand why the mods here won't make this thread a sticky:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/canadian-satellite-services/166004-nimiq-4-contour-map-first-take.html

Maybe da 'Berg can make this happen...???

If you seriously looked at this map maybe you wouldn't have gone the Bell TV route as it is obvious that no quality signal for 82W can had from your location.

Who knows maybe in 2012 when Shaw's new satellites go up they may move their footprints too, boy I hope not, but as we all know there are no guarantees in life.

Last edited:
I knew I wasn't going to be able to get their satellite at 82 degrees. I already have a non-HD ExpressVu receiver, so I would have been happy to be able to watch what is on the satellites at 91 degrees.

I had originally wanted to setup a Shaw HD system, but my wife *really* didn't want to spend the money, so this was a compromise. I do have two car notes, a mortgage, a ten month old, and DirecTV with HD, so it was hard to argue with her.

I am still hoping that the tree trimmer helps!

By the looks of the pictures it should. Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes.

You can get a Shaw Direct SD receiver for $99.00, and an HD one for $199.00. A 30" dish and proper LNB would have got you the SD channels on 107.3W.

I'm in the same boat with you as I want Dish Network for ESPN & ESPN2 but hate to have another bill to add to the others!

from that pic you look like its aimed right at the tree branch

The dish "Sees" 22 degrees higher than where the lNB looks like it is so its very possible that branch is the culprit

you mention only 5 TP"s though.....Bell switched 82 around and only FIVE transponders are active. Did you try and run a check switch to see what satellite it says you are on

Did you try and run a check switch to see what satellite it says you are on

Not sure exactly what you mean by that. On the signal strength screen, I had a choice between 82 and 91 and chose 91. When I locked onto the Echostar 110 satellite, my receiver told me that it was the wrong satellite. All I ever got from the other (hopefully Nimiq at 91) satellite was a not locked message and a signal in the 40s. Transponder 3 went from 43 back to 0 while I was climbing down the ladder and then back to 43 when I was ready to look through the other transponders. I don't even remember now if I included transponder 3 in my count of 5.

check switch
menu 6-1-1 then to the right it says "switch check". It will go through and let you know what satellites/switches/etc you have set up

after posting I checked thelist and TP3 on 82W is a 8PSK transponder so I dont think the non-HD receiver can see that so you probably are on 91

Well I finally got the limb cut down. I now have signal. I have a weird issue though. My antenna (also in the picture above) has stopped working. I changed diplexers and replaced the cable going from the diplexer to the antenna. ExpressVu/Bell works great, but my TV is getting virtually no signal. The signal strength on my PBS affiliate went from 98 to 51 and my CBS affiliate went from 93 to 0. We have NTSC/analog repeaters for NBC and ABC. I've gone from getting good picture on them to no watchable picture.

I wasn't using a diplexer with the antenna before last night, but I used to use a diplexer with DirecTV before they added MPEG4 channels and never had any problems.

Any ideas?!? I am only looking at Nimiq 91, and I am almost certain that they don't use MPEG4.

I thought that I would add my transponder strength for Nimiq 91 using a round 24" dish in case it's useful to anyone. These measurements were done with clear skies.

Many thanks to everyone who offered information and advice!!

evu-signal.gif

Last edited:
You might want to check out my recent thread. I posted my strength on 82 and 91 for night and day. I am in colorado springs, co and I am using a 1.2m dish solely for 82, and the standard dish for 91.

So with maybe a 1.5m or 2m you can get HD on 82 during most of the day, but between midnight and 4am, expect nothing due to wobble...

I looked through your thread. The 1.2 meter dish is awesome. My EVu receiver is a 3100, which isn't HD. Even if it was an HD receiver, I wouldn't buy any dish bigger than 90cm because of my HOA, and from what I've read, 90cm isn't going to cut it. I am about 180 miles south of Dallas.

I am also going to post a link to a website that you mentioned in your thread. This is the best footprint website that I know of.

SatBeams - Satellite Coverage Maps

I looked through your thread. The 1.2 meter dish is awesome. My EVu receiver is a 3100, which isn't HD. Even if it was an HD receiver, I wouldn't buy any dish bigger than 90cm because of my HOA, and from what I've read, 90cm isn't going to cut it. I am about 180 miles south of Dallas.

I am also going to post a link to a website that you mentioned in your thread. This is the best footprint website that I know of.

SatBeams - Satellite Coverage Maps

Well with the 90cm, you should be able to get 91 fully down there, but when Nimiq5 goes live who knows what will happen. I am fairly certain that you have no hope for 82 at all with that size of a dish. No one on the HOA board that you can bribe a little? :D

I wish Bell would get their heads out of their asses and realize there is a huge market for them south of the border.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)