Sherlock Holmes

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
I liked this movie. It was entertaining, and it was resonable with the effects, stunts and deductive reasoning. It is a darker view of SH. It is not for purists. If you have a set view of SH you will hate this movie. It is a bit over the top in a lot of areas, but it is in good fun.

I for one never really had an opinion of SH, so the reinvention of everything did not bother me. I could see how it would drive anyone that was really into SH crazy though. It was set in the late 1800s, but aside from scenery you would have a hard time telling what time period it was in.

Saw this last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not one that is "into" SH at all, but I really enjoyed it. Had a unique way of explaining things (faster than real time so if you already figured out part of it then it didn't bore you, but also gave enough information to understand the difficult parts). I give it a 4 out of 5.

I would say yes, but I'm likely more liberal about things like that than most. (My dad and I watched Alien and Aliens when I was 10)... As I'm not a parent you should probably wait for someone else to chime in ;)

To me, Basil Rathbone is the embodiment of Sherlock Holmes in regards to the motion picture industry and other attempts to capture "his book magic" have been pale in comparison. Of course, Rathbone's character operated in the 1930s/40s which is certainly not in keeping with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's writings. Additionally, this isn't to say that I cannot be entertained by this iteration of Sherlock Holmes and I do plan to see it in the coming week or two.

On a side note, I enjoyed the film "The Seven-Per-Cent Solution (1976)" although it wasn't your typical Sherlock Holmes movie.

Is it ok for a 12 year old?

I think it would be ok if your 12 year old can handle violence. Lots of fist fighting, some of it a touch bloody. A very minor sexual reference or 2 which were in the previews (SH trapped in bed nude (pillow in strategic location) trying to convince the chambermaid to unlock him).

I went to see this not thinking much of it or of [SIZE=-1]Robert Downey Jr. but I left thinking glad I did. I would say this is one of his best movies and I really enjoyed it.:up
[/SIZE]

I think it would be ok if your 12 year old can handle violence. Lots of fist fighting, some of it a touch bloody. A very minor sexual reference or 2 which were in the previews (SH trapped in bed nude (pillow in strategic location) trying to convince the chambermaid to unlock him).

Yeah, he'd be fine with all of that. Thanks. Violence isn't an issue.

The problem is I can't get the wife to agree to go to see it. We'll probably wait for the BD. :)