Shortcuts You May Not Know & CC Revisited

rollerdog

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Houston, TX
As a new Vip922 user, I have been looking around for any info to make it easier to navigate the receiver. This includes following old forum threads, etc. since we don't really have a user manual for the 922.

This particular thread is quite interesting: https://www.dishsupport.com/dish-sl...loaded/10869-place-send-922-gui-remote-2.html

It sounds like a Dish or DIRT person talking but there is no indication in his signature that it is. I just assumed it was more suggestions until I tried one of them and boom -- it worked like a charm.

I was really upset about the pain to turn CC on and off on the 922 and have been trying to make a set of Harmony macros to do this. On the 722 I could do it with 2 macros (5 sequences each) but I didn't see anyway to do it, even as 2 macros, on the 922. However, with the shortcuts in that other post, in 2 presses (yellow-7) I can get to the CC window. The other problem with a CC macro is that the CC on & CC off is not a toggle (like on the 722). You have to position and select in two different places to turn CC on or off. I'm still working on the macros. Of course we still have the age-old problem that my Harmony can't send a yellow command.

Some of the posts requesting easier toggling of CC are as old as 2008 -- it is a pretty sad commentary on listening (or not) to user's requests.

THIS is my toggle CC macro on harmony for a 722. Maybe parts could be used for the 922. You may not realize, but using raw learns of several commands in one, you can squeeze a 15 step macro into 1 sequence. I don't have to play such games on my JP1 remotes since they can do unlimited macros.

I'm wondering why your harmony can't send yellow. It's in the database for the "VIP-922". Even if it weren't, you could simply learn it, or you could add the pronto hex code for it. I can post that if you need it. See my Harmony TIPS thread for adding your own pronto hex.

Last edited:
mdavej -- yes, I have used raw mode on my Harmony and did so for a Directv CC macro. One big problem, as I mentioned, with the 922 is that there is no single toggle CC like there is on the 722. So you have to have 2 macros or else perform some manual clicking in between two macros.

The problem with the last two colors is well known and discussed quite a bit on the forums. Supposedly with 922 software 04, they changed something so that the old 722 yellow & <last color> codes did not work for 922 anymore. The now just generate page-up & page-down. You can't capture the new new codes because the .32 922 remotes are uhf only. A fix for this has been requested for a long time to no avail.

garygaryj -- yes, I had looked at your wiki. However, you don't have any number codes in there such as (yellow-7) which takes you directly from live TV to cc page.

The idea is that you (and others) could log-into Wikibooks and update that information in a collaborative wiki-fashion. (And thanks - didn't know that short-cut, or those short-cuts - see below...)
I'll update these sometime soon, but please do go into the Wikibooks, if you like the idea of it, and help to improve it.
One has to wonder why Dish is reluctant to give a full online user guide to the 922, other than this page.

Also appears to be other Yellow-number combos...
Yellow = Settings
Yellow-1 = Remote Manager (Remote Control icon)
Yellow-2 = Parental Controls (Parental Controls icon)
Yellow-3 = Phone Line set up (Phone Line Setup icon)
Yellow-4 = Dish Comm device search (Dish COMM icon)
Yellow-5 = Caller ID toggle (Caller ID icon)
Yellow-6 = Diagnostics screen (Diagnostics icon)
Yellow-7 = Closed Captioning screen (Closed Captioning icon) [as you have said]
Yellow-8 = Shared View toggle (Shared View icon)
Yellow-9 = Record Plus screen (Record Plus icon)
Yellow-0 = Off-Air module screen, if Off-Air module is attached (Local Channels icon)
Yellow-Yellow = Point Dish screen (Point Dish icon)
Yellow-Green = System Info diagnostic screen (System Info icon)

Last edited:
ah, thanks - missed that on the first view because it was not the first post - but this is the post you were referring to. Good one! Hadn't caught that before, even though I was on that string. Thx, rollerdog.
I will also include those in the Wiki.

mdavej -- yes, I have used raw mode on my Harmony and did so for a Directv CC macro. One big problem, as I mentioned, with the 922 is that there is no single toggle CC like there is on the 722. So you have to have 2 macros or else perform some manual clicking in between two macros.

The problem with the last two colors is well known and discussed quite a bit on the forums. Supposedly with 922 software 04, they changed something so that the old 722 yellow & <last color> codes did not work for 922 anymore. The now just generate page-up & page-down. You can't capture the new new codes because the .32 922 remotes are uhf only. A fix for this has been requested for a long time to no avail.
722 CC isn't really a toggle either, but you can consistently get it to the opposite state with the right number of up/down arrows.

Didn't realize that about yellow. If you have 5 minutes to spare and a one-for-all remote, you can find the yellow code by trial and error (there are only 64 possibilities, only a handful of which haven't been used by existing commands). Once found, I can give you the pronto hex to add to your harmony. I don't have a 922 yet but plan to get one, so I have an interest in getting this solved.

Here's the procedure on a one-for-all, radio shack or cable remote: Press CBL or SAT and hold the Setup button for 2 blinks. Enter 00775 (or 0775 depending on the remote model), get 2 blinks for success. Aim the remote at your 922 and tap the setup button quickly followed by one of the codes below. The command is sent when the last digit is pressed. Note what code does what, and I can translate to pronto hex which can be added to harmony. Or you could simply learn the command at that point. Some older remotes use 3 digit codes, so drop 00 from each of the codes below in that case.

Unless Dish is doing something very unusual, the following unused codes are the only possible candidates for the missing commands: 00012, 00015, 00044, 00047, 00079, 00112, 00113, 00143, 00173, 00205, 00207, 00241

The existing color codes on the 722 are: 00048, 00108, 00078, 00046 for red, green, yellow, blue respectively.

Last edited:
Sorry mdavej but I don't have an all-in-one remote. I would sure love to see the results though if someone would perform that test.

I still don't understand, after years of requests from customers, that Dish hasn't simplified the access to CC control.

The issue with Yellow and Blue on the 922 is not that hex codes aren't available -- they are. It's that the RECEIVER responds to them incorrectly.
RF from the 32 remote works, IR from ANY other remote including Dish remotes does not.

So, are you saying that there is no IR code that will make the 922 act they way it does when the yellow button is hit on the 32.0 remote?

I've been railing on them for this since it happened since I use a Harmony One as the primary remote for my setup. Went to the effort of going back and forth between Logitech and DISH to try to figure out what the problem was. It's annoying to have to keep going up to that top bar manually or hitting red and moving over instead of hitting the button that's supposed to do it. AND this also messes it up on GoogleTV. But DISH's engineers can't seem to find the time to fix it.

Sorry mdavej but I don't have an all-in-one remote. I would sure love to see the results though if someone would perform that test.

I still don't understand, after years of requests from customers, that Dish hasn't simplified the access to CC control.
You may have one and not know it. Do you have an old radio shack or cable tv remote lying around, or even a pronto or some remote that takes pronto hex? If so post the model and I can tell you if it will work. Anyway, I've got a few irons in the fire, so we may have some results soon.

For some reason, everybody makes CC hard to manage. DireTV is equally difficult and has in fact gotten worse with later releases. Many cable boxes are worst of all since they require a cold boot and going into the service menu to toggle captions.

The issue with Yellow and Blue on the 922 is not that hex codes aren't available -- they are. It's that the RECEIVER responds to them incorrectly.
RF from the 32 remote works, IR from ANY other remote including Dish remotes does not.
I understand. But the 32 has to be sending different codes for yellow. Given the way the Dish IR protocol works, there are only 64 possible binary values a Dish receiver will respond to. The 922 version of yellow must be one of those values. I've identified all the possible candidates they could be using. So someone with a 922 and the right remote can test and see. If successful, then those with universal remotes will finally be able to work around the problem. If, on the other hand, they are using some signal from left field, then it will take some more effort to figure out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)