Should a new guy buy now or wait for Superdish?

M Law

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
First let me say that this is an excellent site and forum. I have been reading through and have learned a lot.

Currently our household does not have a satellite system (using Charter cable - poor quality), but have purchased a Hi-Def Mits TV. Bought it originally to watch improved DVDs, but now I want to see HDTV. We live in an area where there is no OTA HDTV, heck there is only one local station at all (Peacock network). Dish network looks like the best deal to me, especially for HDTV.

The question is, with all the deals out there now, should I go ahead and sign up, get the 6000 and whatever else is needed for HDTV then upgrade when the Superdish is out, or just wait for the Superdish to come out and go from there?

Thanks for any advice,
M Law

M Law, Welcome to SatelliteGuys. Honestly its getting so close now I think I would wait.....We should know more after the Dish Network Tech chat and hopefully we see SuperDish in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

I hope to see the 811 and 921 buy November 1st

Should a new guy buy now or wait for 811 and superdish

John and Scott,

For another inexperienced Dish network customer thinking about making the transition to HDTV, can you be more specific as to WHY you advise waiting?

Scott's preliminary review of the 811 gave me the impression that there is not much of an advantage over the 6000 receiver (other than the guide). The Superdish, when it's finally available, will allow access to more HD programming but (if I understand correctly) the Dish 500 I currently have will receive the 'core' HD programming on the 110 satellite for some time to come.

Why not go with the less expensive 6000 receiver now, wait out the big rush on the new technology in November (if it's actually available and working properly then) and make the transition to the Superdish and a new receiver at a later date, when the superdish and 811 are easily available and proven? Then use the 6000 as a second HD receiver for another TV?

Will there be other significant advantages to the 811 and the superdish? Unannounced HD programming only available by superdish? Better quality HD or SD with the 811 compared to the older 6000? Other advantages I'm not thinking of?

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Tom C.

The advantages of the 811 over the 6000 are:

1. simultaneous output of Standard def and hi def (6000 only does one at a time)

2. 2 day guide (although rumors of 6000 upgrade to 2 day)

3. Dish home

4. Dish Pro ready, no adapter needed

5. DVI outputs

Should a new guy buy now or wait for 811 and superdish

Mike,

Thanks very much. I understand #1, 2, and 5, but would you mind explaining for HDTV beginners what 'dish home' and 'dishpro ready, no adapter needed' mean?

Tom C

One reason for waiting, is that M Law said he currently did not have satellite, so any 6000 he picks up will be at the old high rate from a retailer. Pretty sure the new offer is for existing customers only. So that makes waiting easier.

Dish Home is an Interactive computer service from Dish. It lets you read short news headlines, check movie listings, play minor video games, etc..

Dish Pro is a technology used between receivers and satellite dishes. The newer technology supports more receivers per dish, and also allows signal splitting so you only have run a single cable to two tuner receivers such as the 721/921/322/522. The SupeDish will be a Dish Pro dish. The 6000 would require an adapter $70? to be connectable to the SuperDish.

Thanks for all the comments.

I guess what I was thinking (limited though it may be), is that the deals out now basically give me a 2 or 3 room system for free, then adding a 6000 to the mix, and later possibly being part of the offer to upgrade to superdish when it comes out. It seems that could be a good deal, with little cost now (6000 may cost a few hundred), and possibly reduced costs for the upgrade. It would give me HDTV now with little or no cost difference to waiting.

Or have I completely mis-read the offers out there now? I must say, it gets rather confusing at times with all the possible combinations. I just don't know if I can stand to wait much longer, my anticipation for HDTV is ever growing.

Other improvements in 811 over 6000:

6. Improved upconversion of SD channels; that means better quality on standard channels.

7. Improved off-air reception for digital (DTV/HDTV) locals.

8. Satellite-delivered programming information for off-air local networks in the guide (may not be available at initial release; the 6000 may or may not get this feature).

There is a good chance that Dish Network will offer a promotion on the 811 for new customers; for example, there could be a $299 deal that would get you both the 811 and the Superdish.

M Law said:
Thanks for all the comments.

I guess what I was thinking (limited though it may be), is that the deals out now basically give me a 2 or 3 room system for free, then adding a 6000 to the mix, and later possibly being part of the offer to upgrade to superdish when it comes out. It seems that could be a good deal, with little cost now (6000 may cost a few hundred), and possibly reduced costs for the upgrade. It would give me HDTV now with little or no cost difference to waiting.

Or have I completely mis-read the offers out there now? I must say, it gets rather confusing at times with all the possible combinations. I just don't know if I can stand to wait much longer, my anticipation for HDTV is ever growing.

The 6000 receiver right now for a new customer is goint to be around $500. The existing customer upgrade deals are for customers who have had DISH for some time. I would personally wait for the new stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts