Should I buy the 811?

CubFan

Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
W. Dundee, IL
My 10 y.o. TV went out on me this weekend. So, yesterday I purchased a new Toshiba 32" HD-Ready Flat Tube TV with 2-Turner Picture in Picture (Model# 32HF73). I currently have the Dish Network 300 receiver. Now that I bought a HD-Ready TV, I am considering buying the 811 receiver so I can recieve the HDTV signal. Dish Network is charging existing customers $199 for this unit. After reading this forum I'm a little skittish to spend the money. Should I look to switch to another provider, keep the 300 receiver or ante up and buy the 811. Please advise? BTW - my beautiful wife will not be happy if the 811 doesn't work properly!

well the dark issue seems to be fixed with the software update. And from my poll, most people like the picture quality.

$199 is still cheap for a HD receiver.

And dishnetwork has some of the lowest fees for service compared with Direct TV. especially if you have the dual tuner tivo units.

I guess you have to weigh all of that.

I bought mine ten days ago, and have not had one single problem. It does not have the guide info for OTA channels, but I set it up so that the SD network channel is next to it, so to me, it is a minor inconvenience. I love the picture. It is better than my old 301, in both SD,and HD.
Tom in TX

Depending on who you ask you will get a different response. Is this TV 4x3 or 16x9? HD Content is 16x9 so I am not sure what it looks like on a 4x3? I have the 811 and I have had good success with it, but somepeople have not been so lucky. The answer to your questions lies in how you use your TV. With a 32" TV if you watch mainly SD material and you might be better off going for the 721 deal and get a dual tuner DVR.

If you want to jump into the HD world, I would suggest first looking at if you can get HD OTA. This will add a lot to the HD content you can view. Add this to the equation..

As for the reliability of the 811, Lots of people find it reliable after the last update and I am one of them. Look at the 811 forum and you will know what issues you may run into. For 199/149/99 the 811 is a good deal in my opinion.

Cubfan if you're in the Chicago area here's something to consider. WBBM-DT is on channel 3, which MANY folks have had one hell of a time getting. The 811 adds another level of hardship to this since it' tends to not handle multipath (in analog you'd call it a ghost), the 49% problem that's been reported. So you may or may not have a problem with this.

A way around it is to get the WCBS-DT feed from NYC, if you qualify. If you're in the far northern burbs the Milwaukee station would need to give you a waiver, and they won't (a**holes). If you're far northwest Rockford will be a problem.

Just wanted to warn you, good luck.

PS: again if in the Chicago area you might want to check out Comcast. They've upgraded a lot of the local system and you might actually get more channels then less money then either E* or D*. That would also solve your WBBM-DT problem. It would also eliminate you having to buy a new receiver since the Comcast HD box is $5/month in Chicagoland. They're also starting to put out their PVR box, you have to ask specifically for it at this time, it's not advertisied. Just an option to maybe consider.

I watch local OTA-HD much more than SAT-HD, so unless you know you can get OTA, you should wait till they can carry all the local HD by SAT.

freerider said:
I watch local OTA-HD much more than SAT-HD, so unless you know you can get OTA, you should wait till they can carry all the local HD by SAT.

Then he may never have HD if he waits for local HD over SAT. That will be a long way away for Dish from what I can tell. If ever.

How sad

Sad isn't it? Almost all prime time programming and sporting events are in HD, the HD package is nice to have but not as much material comparing to local. May be cable is the solution then......

My local cable (Cox) has HD. They have one local HD-PBS. None of the others would agree to let them carry the signal. AS for sat HD programming, they have ESPN, Discovery, HBO (1), ST (1) and thats it. No reason to switch to cable here. Yet Cox braggs about having HD.

Where are you?

This is really sad, around San Francisco area cable carries all local HD including PBS. Discovery HD is nice to have, HD-Net programming is so so. On the same subject, does any know what is Dish broadcasting at, 1080i or 720p?

freerider said:
This is really sad, around San Francisco area cable carries all local HD including PBS. Discovery HD is nice to have, HD-Net programming is so so. On the same subject, does any know what is Dish broadcasting at, 1080i or 720p?

ESPN-HD is 720P, all the others are 1080i.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)