Should I get a DVR?: My three remaining questions

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
I am trying to decide if I should get a DVR for the bedroom and I have a 3 remaing questions:

·Is the unit to loud to a bedroom device? (Fan/HD noise)

·Features like pausing live TV are unimportant to me so what other features would I get up and over what my 301-VCR setup gives me now?

·Is the size of the HD and the monthly fee the ONLY differences between a 508 and a 510?

Thank you for your responce

Yes, the only diff between 508 and 510 are the 510 has a larger HD and of course the ever annoying monthly service charge. $4.95 I believe? I just picked up a 508 on ebay and I love this thing. You can record anything and watch it anytime and the unit is VERY fast. Almost instantly start watching whever you recorded. Don't have to worry about getting new vcr tapes, or switching them out (dang I have vcr's). You say you won't use pausing/rewinding live tv, but it's really very handy. Specially for bathroom breaks, etc. Another bonus over a VCR is that you can record a show while watching one that you previously recorded with the 508 or 510. The dual tuner models are even better where you can record 2 shows simultaneously while watching 1, or watching a previously recorded show. All in all, I say goodbye to vcr's forever.

As to the noise issue, it's basically non-exsistent. There is a very low-level noise, but unless you are VERY sensitive, it won't be
noticeable.

I have 2 501's at the moment.

To clarify the noise issue.

It depends. My early model 501 was too noisy for the bedroom. But the 501 unit that replaced it seems to be much quieter.

So it can depend from one unit to the next, but it does seem more recent machines make an effort to stay quiet. And if you power it off when not in use, it shoudn't have much reason to make noise.

Let me add that when it is off, it's completely silent. When it comes on in the middle of the night, if you set it to record, it might wake you up. Depending how sensitive you are to the noise. When the PVR boots up, it makes a slight beep.

It seems as if the DVR's they keep coming out with keep getting quieter and quieter. I do notice in the middle of the night (around 3 AM EST) it will be the loudest. This pertains to the 721.

Between my 6000 OTA module and my 501, I can't hear myself think. One is in the Living Room, the other in the Family room, the kitchen is between the two and I have stereo high pitched whining, it sounds wonderful. My wife wonders why I play my movies so loud ;-)

The 510 is pretty much silent. I really have to strain to hear it. Don't know if I got lucky, but it is really nice.

Paradox-SJ said:
·Features like pausing live TV are unimportant to me so what other features would I get up and over what my 301-VCR setup gives me now?
You say that now...but give it a day or two and you'll fall in love with it. I was watching the Oscars last night in my living room and about half way through it I realized I forgot to take out the trash. Instead of waiting to do it later after midnight when they were over, I just paused it and took out the trash. I just left it paused after I got done, went and got ready for bed, then resumed watching it from the bedroom. Even after being on pause for about a half hour, I quickly caught back up by skipping commercials that had been recorded.

About the noise - my two 508's are very quiet. I was concerned about the noise issue before buying, but it hasn't been a problem.

Another thing to remember is that the E* units are controlled via an RF remote, not infrared. That means you can put the unit inside a cabinet or in another room and have full functionality.

My favorite feature is the ability to record something AFTER it airs live. Many times I've seen something before realizing that I'd like to save it (a news or special interest item). Being able to "rewind" the live broadcast and then record it is worth a lot to me.

AllieVi said:
Another thing to remember is that the E* units are controlled via an RF remote, not infrared. That means you can put the unit inside a cabinet or in another room and have full functionality.

Depending on the unit, Echostar receivers may or may not be controled by IR, as well as RF. I.E. the DVR5XX series of single tuner receivers are both IR controled and RF controled. Which is nice for situations where the RF strength is not sufficient for a location that an IR distribution stystem can handle quite well.

Mike_H said:
Depending on the unit, Echostar receivers may or may not be controled by IR, as well as RF. I.E. the DVR5XX series of single tuner receivers are both IR controled and RF controled. Which is nice for situations where the RF strength is not sufficient for a location that an IR distribution stystem can handle quite well.
You're right, of course. I should have been more clear about the capabilities. The main point I was making was that the receiver can be out of sight and out of earshot if hard disk noise is a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)