Should I get U-Verse (or stick with Dish Network)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DoOrDoNot

Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
What's the current grade for AT&T U-Verse (on a scale of A to F)? I was initially excited and feeling positive about saving some money and getting a nice DVR from U-Verse, but after skimming many on-line posts all over the internet, I'm having serious doubts about switching from Dish Network. I have a U-Verse install set for this weekend to give me TV, internet and phone, but am considering calling to cancel based upon the many problems this service seems to have.

I would give it a solid B-

Limited streams-Big drawback
Dvrs Good not great

I have both Dish and Uverse...
No contract with Uverse-Try them.

But in my opinnion its a no brainer....Stay with Dish...Best Dvr in the industry-Period.

Test it Out

Since there is no long term contract with AT&T U-verse, test it out “but keep Dish”.

If you are not satisfied then you can cancel the Video part of the service. :)

By the way Welcome!!

I was over at our friends' house this weekend and they had installed U-Verse with the DVR to replace their 625 DVR. His comment was that he hadn't figured out the remote yet an couldn't do slow-motion playback of a football play. Also, even though it can show you another channel in the browser, there's no PIP like there was on the 625.

On the plus side, no rain fade. And, they are loving the 6 Mbps download on the Internet, way up from the 56 Kbps they had with the dial-up. So, I think they're saying goodbye to Dish. For them, it makes sense.

I dumped DISH last fall for U-verse and couldn't be happier. U-versre blows DISH away in the television department. This is a company that continues to expand and improve their product unlike the cheap and fading DISH;)

Dish dvrs still tops

I dumped DISH last fall for U-verse and couldn't be happier. U-versre blows DISH away in the television department. This is a company that continues to expand and improve their product unlike the cheap and fading DISH;)

I would love to dump dish for Uverse...By the way, I have both.

But the 722 is just too good to get rid of.

Its just the best dvr on the market.

Uverse cicso machines are nice but not ''yet'' in the same class as dish dvr.

Yep I have had Uverse over a week now, Im glad That I dumped D* over it. Uverse did a encoding upgrade and the pq is miles ahead of what it was. Only fast moving sports programming seems to have bad pq, but over all everything looks great. Maybe just a little softer than what im used to though.

Uverse is good overall. The HD picture isn't as good as Dish was for me. The SD picture is MILES ahead of Dish. The 6meg internet is AWESOME. The phone service is pretty good, too. I like how I can check call history on the TV. With U400, unlimited phone and 6mb internet, with three receivers, one HD, We've reduced our monthly bill by 30 bucks, get more channels, have much faster internet and put up with a little softer HD picture. It really works pretty well.

I switched a few months ago, and find Uverse good enough that I took my Dish account off 'hold' and fully canceled Dish.

Uverse Pros:
- lots of channels
- excellent SD picture quality
- pretty good HD quality
- stable TV and internet service
- Mediashare allows streaming of pics and music from networked PCs
- small, quiet set-top box
- real VOD - though I think the PQ on most of it sucks. I stick with my ROKU box.

UVerse Cons:
- DVR isn't as slick as the 622: No way to persist 'Favorites' in your guide, guide format is poor, 30 second slide instead of skip, can't limit number of episodes, can't prioritize recordings...
- Limited HD streams (not an issue for me since there's only 1 tv here, but can be an issue for other folks)
- more expensive than DISH

It's really a toss- up imo. Dish has a better DVR. ATT has mediashare. I don't want to put a dish back up on my new roof, so UVerse wins for now.

Just thought that I would give you a short opinion of UV. I have had it since the end of July and I like it. Its not perfect, has a very good HD picture, great SD picture. I also like the fact that I can watch recorded programs on either TV. I guess the down side would be having only 4 streams and only two can be in HD. I guess that if you have a lot of HD TV's that it might not work for you. Its about the same price as what I paid for D* and ATT DSL. Again no contract so if you dont like it you can leave. You have to work the rebates to get them all. If you sign up on line and chat with somebody and he promises you the moon. You better save a copy of that chat.
I got everything that was promised to me, but I have to work on them to get the final $100 of the $300 they promised me.

Chuck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)