should i turn off my reciever at night?

• ISSUES POSTING REPLIES

WE UNDERSTAND SOME PEOPLE CAN NOT REPLY TO POSTS AND WE ARE WORKING N IT.

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
i have 3 508 E* receivers.i was having little annoying problems with them back when i turned the receivers on and off at random.about six months ago i started shutting them down every night before going to bed and have had no problems since.also in order to receive the new software updates the receiver needs to be off.

When my 522 was first installed (6 weeks ago) I was experiencing various lockups, needs for reboot, strange behavior, etc. I was leaving it on 24x7.

That went on for about my first week with the unit. Then I started turning it off every night before bed (both tuners). I've missed a few nightly turn-offs, but I've been remembering 98% of the time.

Guess what? No more lockups. No need to reboot. Everything has just been running much smoother. Cause and effect, or coincidence? You can make your own decision. I'm just reporting what I've experienced.

i just got my 522 and i wanted to get the new software for it right now i have the 1.69 and i wanted to get the new 2.01....so i should turn off my receiver at night

Yes, you need to turn it off for it to take the updates. It will NOT update if it's in use and if the tuners are on, how does it know if you're sitting there watching TV or not ??

The 501, 508 & 510 will go into standby automatically after a few hours of non-activity. If you happen to be watching a warning will appear a minute before it occurs so you have the option of preventing it by touching any key on the remote.

I believe the 522 does this as well if both tuners are left on indefinitely.

Anyway, it's best to turn it "off" when you're not using it.

I'm going on vacation later this week and will be out of town for 6 days...will it still record timers if I turn off both tuners (do you have to turn off both tuners at night?)?

Excellent...I'll get into the habit of turning it off.

BTW, I noticed it does seem to have "difficulty" downloading the program guide. While it says it takes 2 minutes, I notice it taking even longer than the disk maintenance!

Oh...and a quick "newbie" question: what's a good quality signal level? 80's? 90's? 100's? 110's?

Don't mean to contradict you guys but saying it will NOT get updates unless "you" turn it off is untrue. I've had my 522 for just under a month now and I have NEVER turned it off. My 522 runs 24/7. I started out with the L1.69 software and shortly after the L2.01 came out I got that. Then just a few days ago it updated to L2.02.

Now to clarify what I just said "I" have never turned the system off. The 522 will reboot and do its software updates and disk maintenance on its own and then go to "stand-by" mode if you have the updates enabled. So in essence the 522 turns it self off during these updates I never touch a thing.

syphix said:
... Oh...and a quick "newbie" question: what's a good quality signal level? 80's? 90's? 100's? 110's?
It depends on the transponder. I always recommend uing TPs 11 & 12 for doing signal strength comparisons. Those TPs exist on all the E* birds and are not spotbeams.

So, that being said, 110 & 119 tp 11 & 12 should be 100+ on a standard Dish 500 almost anywhere in the country.

Define "turn off". The only way to truly turn the 522 "off" is to unplug it from the wall outlet. I consider mine "off" or in standby mode when there are no lights on on the front of the receiver.

hall: Correct - there really is no "off" - just like with any other remote controllable device. "off" equals "stand-by" which is also "dark".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)