Should I wait to buy Dish? DNS & DVR troubles

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Here's the deal. I was all set to go with Dish over Directv, largely because of the additional HD channels.

Now, after lurking around here for a week or so, that getting Distant Networks will be a huge hassle and I may have to 'move' :rolleyes: to New York or some other non-sense to obtain the networks.

Also, I wanted to get a couple of 622 DVRs. Now I read that they could likely be turned off. I know a lot of you are saying HOW could E* do this realistically--they'd HAVE to settle. While I agree that some sort of fix will be required, I'm not so sure that it wouldn't entail buying new hardware.

SO, my final question is, should I wait? Should I just go with D* as they seem to be more stable? I wanted to plunk down some cash this week for Dish, but now I'm hesitating... Opinions? Thoughts?

-Rob :confused:

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

I doubt that E* will go as far as allowing the DVRs to be shut down. More than likely they will settle with TiVo.

Everything is in a state of flux right now and all of us here only have speculation as to how this DNS and DVR thing will actually shake out. So I would hang tight for the next few weeks if you can.

:) i would have suggested the same thing a week ago. but today i feel very good about the dns settlement. the dvr is just another thing charlie is going to play hard ball with, until he gets the rock bottom price to settle it. other settlements have all gone the same way. dragging it on till the last second. I'm starting to learn this is just the way he does bus. after being with dish for 10+ years i just got another 18mo contract! (VIP622hd upgrade) so i will recommend you go ahead and sign up. new offers come out at the first of the month.

Remember the average Dish sub has no idea any of these lawsuits are going on ... it's just the "enthusiasts" who read this board who get all worked up about these things. :) I can't imagine that we will lose DVR service, and in the end those that *really* qualify for distant NETs will still receive them.

Dish won't lose their DVR's. This thing will drag on forever until it is settled. You should lease anyway which would negate any legal or technological issues. Buying today's technology is very risky -- let Dish deal with the risks.

But leasing comes with a lengthy commitment which would lock you in for a long time, and keep you from jumping if any of the doomsday scenarios come to pass....

My gut feeling is that both will go away with minor changes. Illegal distants will get clamped down on, and Tivo will either get bought out by E* or get STFU money to go away....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts