Sick of Dial up....sat internet?

Ascratch

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Central Pennsylvania
I am fed up with dial up, slow;being kicked off all the time etc.
Am thinking of wildblue but wonder if now is a bad time. i checked and it is available in my area but I saw something about a new bigger dish that is to come out in March or April I believe. Is there a reason to wait or is now the time since there is free installation? Thanks for any input.

I'm sure now is a good time, and future hardware should be updated for free.

I am fed up with dial up, slow;being kicked off all the time etc.
Am thinking of wildblue but wonder if now is a bad time. i checked and it is available in my area but I saw something about a new bigger dish that is to come out in March or April I believe. Is there a reason to wait or is now the time since there is free installation? Thanks for any input.

If after you install service the company should update the technology, they should update it for free, since equipment is leased. Obviously they are going to install a dish that works well, so you stay a happy customer. I have read an article in the NY Times and it was a positive in it's description or coverage of a rural customer. Do your homework, and be a educated consumer.

I put in both HN and WB. I find HN to be more reliable and consistent in general. If you do a lot of downloading, HN has a better FAP. If you are doing other than normal network connection, best check it out first (like VPN will really dissappoint you).

I would like to be able to connect to my office network (VPN right?) as well as just have basic connection at home. Are you saying both HN and WB will dissappoint me when I try to connect to my office no matter how it is setup cause that would be a major bummer.

Satellite connections are high latency (minimum 550ms, often much more), and that plays havoc with anything that can't use TCP accelerators, including https/ssl and VPN. Primary effect is that it is slow, often down around dialup rates. Different "flavors" of VPN are affected differently, with IPSEC being among the slowest. With HughesNet you would probably have to go above the basic account, plus add a publicly-routed IP (Static IP in Hughes-speak). WB IPs are dynamic, but routable.

There are a lot of different remote desktops. I use PCAnywhere. In fact, I use it an average of more than two hours per day. I don't have a problem with it working, but I had to make sure just about nothing on the desktops I work on require double-clicks - with the latency they are too often seen as a pair of single-clicks!

I go back 5 years with Direcway/Hughes. Never had their lowest-end connection, but I've progressively moved up the service plan ladder because raw speed does help make up some for latency. I'm currently on a 500K up, 2000K down plan, and rarely run into many slowdowns. At the bottom end there are more unhappy customers, and it doesn't much matter whether they have Hughes or WildBlue.

If after you install service the company should update the technology, they should update it for free, since equipment is leased. Obviously they are going to install a dish that works well, so you stay a happy customer. I have read an article in the NY Times and it was a positive in it's description or coverage of a rural customer. Do your homework, and be a educated consumer.

Does WB lease their equipment?

Alot of businesses us Hughes for VPN service, but they use a VPN accelerator which I do not know if it is available with just a standard residential account. Phizer is one company and right now I am installing some USDA sites with 7700's that plan to use the system for VPN. I am not 100% sure how it works.

Others use just basic service mostly with a 4020 which is the older style modem with an attached gateway to make it a selfhosted system for PC anywhere so the help desk can remotely help if need be.

The VPN accelerator available with the 7700 requires a concentrator installed at the other end. Minimum number of users for a single concentrator to be cost effective is about 30, so it is pretty much a big-business solution. The accelerator is not available for any modem other than the 7700 or 7700S.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts