Siemens SX56, AT&T wireless and internet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
ATT Wireless

I wonder if any of you can share your experience about the PC/Cellular phone that AT&T has on their wireless site. According to AT&T, one can also sign up for their internet through this and be able to get to one's e-mail and browse plus various other things. My questions how good is the cellular connection (I know it probably depends where you are located in the US, but at this point I am looking for any type of response)? How good the internet connection? Do you often disconnect from the internet using this small pc?

Any comments?

Here are the Highlights of the pc/cellular phone (Siemens SX56):

Large color touch screen for ease of viewing and use
Text messaging to any eMail address
Record short memos and conversations
SD/MMC slot for extra memory
Infared data interface (IrDA)
Ability to access and manage contacts, calendar and inbox
Microsoft Active Sync to your PC
Pocket version of Microsoft Office Applications
Weighs less than 7 ounces
Integration of Outlook contact list with phone and email functions
Cradle for Battery charging and quick data synchronization
Calculator
Games
Photo viewer
Microsoft Reader
MSN Messenger (Instant Messaging)
Windows Media Player
Handwriting recognition and touchscreen keyboard input options
Notification options of tone or vibrate
Hundreds of Pocket PC applications available
Password Protection
Call Log
Calendar with Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly Views

Specifications

Weight: 6.8 ounces
Dimensions: 0.70" D X 2.86" W X 5.08" H
Battery: Rechargeable Lithium Polymer
Talk Time: 3.5 Hours
Standby Time: 150 Hours
Warranty: 1 yr. on device and accessories (limited to defects in material and workmanship)
Frequency: 900/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS
Processor: Intel StrongARM 206 Mhz

*All talk, data, and standby times are approximate and depend on network configuration.

I have had one since the week it was released. I love it. Used to carry a blackberry and cell phone. Now just one device. Pretty good support around the country (GSM) and haven't had any issue with coverage in my travels to major cities.

The new version (XDAII or MDA II) that this is based on is out in October from O2 in the UK. No news if ATT will pick it up. I hope they do as it has 64K memory, build in bluetooth and 802.11b. Check out www.pocketpcpassion.com, they have a forum for this phone.

One more thing. The GPRS (wireless internet) is slow - at most 28K, at worst 9600b or less. It is good for when it is needed but don't expect any high speed from it. I use it to check mail, etc and it is fine for that (using officeonline from ATT, and also SymettryPro from infowave software)

sampatterson said:
The new version (XDAII or MDA II) that this is based on is out in October from O2 in the UK.

Thanks for the information and the link. Do you mean October '03?

yes, next month Oct '03. The problem is that ATT hasn't committed to carrying it yet. I don't believe tmobile has either.

The device is built by HTC in Taiwan (and lots of companies OEM it and put their own name on it)

The original SX56 is based on the XDA for HTC (that O2, tmobile, ATT, and others carry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts