signal improvement

Garthhh

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Mariposa Ca
I'm trying to craft a solution
with a new updated dish 1000 series pointed at 129, 119, 110, I lose signal especially from 129 which is mostly HD programming I think.
as a work around on a different thread I learned that I could get my local channels up in the 8000's [I live in a remote area with no OTA] which solves a few of the signal loss issues

my understanding is that the dish position is a compromise 110 being the center
I'm wondering if I can install my old 500 series dish & somehow use the 5 signals [potential] from the 2 dishes to improve the overall performance of my 722k

Satellite TV User Guides - Customer Service & Support - DISH Network
the dish pro technology installation guide, shows some similar schemes
is there any merit to this idea?
what sort of additional hardware would be required?
I have a service call scheduled
but would be interested in improving the signal strength, which would be nice when the weather is bad

I still use a D500 for 110/119 (DP Twin LNB) and a separate wing D500 (DP Dual, using only 1 side) in a better location "optimized" for 129. I have the 3 LNBs separately connected into a DPP44 switch, then distributed to my 3 receivers. On the wing, I replaced the "W" LNB mount on the arm with an "I" adapter bought from The Dish Store that puts the LNB in the center (no lateral offset like on the 110/119 dish). Then I used a simple "Satellite Finder" meter I also bought from The Dish Store connected in-line with that LNB to help me adjust the dish to maximize the signal strength. In my case, LoS was marginal due to terrain and trees, the latter of which took some serious "grooming" to make them less impeding to the signal! But in my area 129 has an elevation of only 20 deg. I don't think you have that same problem in your location, or at least not to the same degree. I'm not familiar with the LNBs on the D1000s (which do you have?) as to whether or not you can connect another wing LNB into the LNBs you already have. If not you'll either have to change LNBs to something compatible or else use a separate switch. In your chosen configuration if there's still an LNB on the D1000 that's looking at the 129 slot, you'll need to disable it (cover the eye with foil, etc.) so you don't have 2 signals fighting each other.

Last edited:
I still use a D500 for 110/119 (DP Twin LNB) and a separate wing D500 (DP Dual, using only 1 side) in a better location "optimized" for 129. I have the 3 LNBs separately connected into a DPP44 switch, then distributed to my 3 receivers. On the wing, I replaced the "W" LNB mount on the arm with an "I" adapter bought from The Dish Store that puts the LNB in the center (no lateral offset like on the 110/119 dish). Then I used a simple "Satellite Finder" meter I also bought from The Dish Store connected in-line with that LNB to help me adjust the dish to maximize the signal strength. In my case, LoS was marginal due to terrain and trees, the latter of which took some serious "grooming" to make them less impeding to the signal! But in my area 129 has an elevation of only 20 deg. I don't think you have that same problem in your location, or at least not to the same degree. I'm not familiar with the LNBs on the D1000s (which do you have?) as to whether or not you can connect another wing LNB into the LNBs you already have. If not you'll either have to change LNBs to something compatible or else use a separate switch. In your chosen configuration if there's still an LNB on the D1000 that's looking at the 129 slot, you'll need to disable it (cover the eye with foil, etc.) so you don't have 2 signals fighting each other.

I found this which is helping define the terms, the tin foil trick is a good one

I'm trying to craft a solution
with a new updated dish 1000 series pointed at 129, 119, 110, I lose signal especially from 129 which is mostly HD programming I think.
as a work around on a different thread I learned that I could get my local channels up in the 8000's [I live in a remote area with no OTA] which solves a few of the signal loss issues

my understanding is that the dish position is a compromise 110 being the center
I'm wondering if I can install my old 500 series dish & somehow use the 5 signals [potential] from the 2 dishes to improve the overall performance of my 722k

Satellite TV User Guides - Customer Service & Support - DISH Network
the dish pro technology installation guide, shows some similar schemes
is there any merit to this idea?
what sort of additional hardware would be required?
I have a service call scheduled
but would be interested in improving the signal strength, which would be nice when the weather is bad
Get the 1000.2 realigned first before you try any questionable solutions, The channels in the 8000 are exactly the same channels as your locals from the same satellite and transponder, they are just remapping those channels to your local channel numbers.

If realigning the 1000.2 dosen't cure HD channel problems you can put a single LNB on a dish 500 and peak it for 129 then connect it to the LNB in port on the 1000.2. From my experience there may not be enough improvement to justify a second dish if the 1000.2 is correctly ailgned.

Hi, this is Mike from DISH Network. This thread is actually a very interesting technical situation. The normal setup with a single dish solution is the 1000.2 switch, which is what sounds like was installed. If 129 was a problem, we would normally use a DISH500 with a DPP twin for 110 and 119, along with a 24-inch dish with a DP dual only (has actually only one "eye") for the 129. This typically collects better signal from the 129 if it's a low-signal area. Careful as to which jack you use to link the 24-inch dish to the DPP twin. There is only one input; the other two next to each other are outputs only. Running a check switch test after the configuration will allow the receiver to build a signal "table" so it knows where to get the signal. Not sure if this helps in your particular situation, but this is an actual installation configuration our technicians would use. The DPP44 idea will work but it requires a power supply. It is usually used to bring four orbital locations to four separate rooms. A 34 switch does not require the power supply and will perform what you need it to do.

Hope this helps!

I'm down to HBOz as the only channel that is hd only
I think I could accomplish the work around you are suggesting
how can I figure out what the orientation of 129 is relative to 110[center I think] ?
I may just have the tech align for the other 2
aligning for all 3 is going to be a compromise there are trees partially blocking the outside edges of the signal path
there are limited choices for placement of the dish. the location was fine for the old 500 dish,
we upgraded for the better dvr & don't care about the hd

Hi, this is Mike from DISH Network. This thread is actually a very interesting technical situation. The normal setup with a single dish solution is the 1000.2 switch, which is what sounds like was installed. If 129 was a problem, we would normally use a DISH500 with a DPP twin for 110 and 119, along with a 24-inch dish with a DP dual only (has actually only one "eye") for the 129. This typically collects better signal from the 129 if it's a low-signal area. Careful as to which jack you use to link the 24-inch dish to the DPP twin. There is only one input; the other two next to each other are outputs only. Running a check switch test after the configuration will allow the receiver to build a signal "table" so it knows where to get the signal. Not sure if this helps in your particular situation, but this is an actual installation configuration our technicians would use. The DPP44 idea will work but it requires a power supply. It is usually used to bring four orbital locations to four separate rooms. A 34 switch does not require the power supply and will perform what you need it to do.

Hope this helps!

You guys are killing me with the TLA's [three letter acronyms] :D

LNB = Low Noise Blockconverter; DPP = Dish Pro Plus (a technology that mixes 2 signals on one coax, requires a DPP LNB at the source (or DPP switch in line) and a "separator" at the receiver to direct the signals on one coax to 2 inputs)

Satellite LNB: What is it, how does it work and where do I buy one?
DISH Pro LNBs - DP - Super Dish - DishPro Plus DPP

DISH = ... well, some of us have been trying to decode that enigma for more than a decade...!

(PS - Agreed that the DPP34 switch might suit your application better; my DPP44 was installed several years before the 34 was available, a bit of overkill for what I need but does the job.)

I'm down to HBOz as the only channel that is hd only
I think I could accomplish the work around you are suggesting
how can I figure out what the orientation of 129 is relative to 110[center I think] ?
I may just have the tech align for the other 2
aligning for all 3 is going to be a compromise there are trees partially blocking the outside edges of the signal path
there are limited choices for placement of the dish. the location was fine for the old 500 dish,
we upgraded for the better dvr & don't care about the hd

Ok I assume you are really talking about a 1000.2 dish. As the 1000 was an older dish that has not been used in a while.

Peaking the 1000.2 for just 110 & 119 is not really an option. All three orbitals are peaked at the same time. Personally the 1000.2 is the best dish the E* ever made for HD. Basically if you peak 119 & 110, 129 will fall into place if there is no obsturction to the line of site. If you are having LOS issues with the 1000.2, it would be best to go back to the 500 with a DPP twin, and use a sperate dish for the 129. A dish500 with the I adaptor is ok, but something larger does wonders for the signal on the 129. I personally have a superdish modified to use a single LNB pointed at 129, and my signals are as good as the 119.

Not to argue, but I think you might be able to optimize a 1000 Dish for just 119/110. While I did not use a Dish 1000, one day I was fooling around with an old 121 SuperDish. I disconnected the 121 LNB and used the skew settings for a Dish 500 instead. My signal strengths for 119 and 110 went up by several points, so I would assume a Dish1000 would yield similar results.

In the end I kind of did what Liquidforce did, broke out a hacksaw and modified the SuperDish for just 119. And if anybody was wondering why I didn't just use the original SuperDish 119 LNB, it had 'drifted' itself into oblivion by then.

34 sw will only work with Dish Pro LNB`s .If you have dual receiver with dish pro switch you will need 2 cable lines from switch 2 receiver .DPP 33 will would work work .Best to chk. for line of sight issue first.

Not to argue, but I think you might be able to optimize a 1000 Dish for just 119/110. While I did not use a Dish 1000, one day I was fooling around with an old 121 SuperDish. I disconnected the 121 LNB and used the skew settings for a Dish 500 instead. My signal strengths for 119 and 110 went up by several points, so I would assume a Dish1000 would yield similar results.

In the end I kind of did what Liquidforce did, broke out a hacksaw and modified the SuperDish for just 119. And if anybody was wondering why I didn't just use the original SuperDish 119 LNB, it had 'drifted' itself into oblivion by then.

Then your Dish was not peaked to begin with. The 121 was only 2 degrees away from 119. Basically the dish was set like a 500 anyway. A couple points really makes no difference. Same with the 1000.2, you might get a few points maybe just peaking the 119, but not gonna get much, and if the 129 still gets some signal then you will have switching problems. Thus the reason I said to go with a Dish 500 and a wing for the 129.

Of course it was peaked to begin with. I installed hundreds of SD 121's back in the day. I recall I gained 7 pts on 119 and 6 pts on 110 by using the D500 settings. Now this was using the 'old' meter. You wouldn't see as much gain in the new meters, of course. But hey, I can only call it like I see 'em, your mileage may vary.

A different tech,
better results
apparently the last tech was trying to shift the blame to the to the trees,
which are only a minor blockage according to this tech
signal up in the middle 40's on 129
we haven't lost signal even during some moderate rain :D

A different tech,
better results
apparently the last tech was trying to shift the blame to the to the trees,
which are only a minor blockage according to this tech
signal up in the middle 40's on 129
we haven't lost signal even during some moderate rain :D

Your signal is the same as I'm getting on my 1K.2 dish and I have had no problems with the pictures on my VIP622.
When I asked the installer about the differences in signal levels he told me to watch the picture not the signal level.If you see pixilation in good weather then you would have a problem.Glad your issue has been fixed.;)

Before the tech my signal was high 20's to mid 30's
we've been having steady rain
& no problems
all I can say is spend the $6 per month on the service contract & bother em until it works

Normally, if you have a correctly peaked dish (including a plum mast) then there should be no rain fade unless it is visually impairing or black clouded sky.

If you want to get a hacked setup going with the most signal possible, try three 1000.2's, each with "W" brackets. Place a DP Dual/Single LNB in the center slot and point each to the separate sat. If eastern, then 61.5, 72.7, 77. If western, 110, 119, 129. Then take the lines from each and run them into a DPP44 switch (or DP34 if single tuner or running dual lines). Set the skew on each to 90deg and run the elevations per each orbital location and then just horizontally peak each. Gains on each should get you in the 90-100 on each one. The issue with the 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish is trying to cram three orbitals into one LNB, you loose on one to get another. If separated, then each is going to be the strongest they can be. This is the way all commercial setups are done.

Of course it was peaked to begin with. I installed hundreds of SD 121's back in the day. I recall I gained 7 pts on 119 and 6 pts on 110 by using the D500 settings. Now this was using the 'old' meter. You wouldn't see as much gain in the new meters, of course. But hey, I can only call it like I see 'em, your mileage may vary.
Your statements ring true. 3 or 4 satellites require more skew than 2.
On a 1000+ dish for 4 orbitals, the skew setting changes quite a bit when peaking as a 500+ with 3 orbitals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)