Signal loss below 15 degrees

AFBlueBoy

Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
NW Iowa
I experienced total signal loss when temperatures dropped below 15 degrees. I have a western arc antenna on 110, 119, 129. i would regain signals again when it warmed up above about 15 degrees. I had a new LNB installed by Dish and the signal loss during cold weather went away. Has anyone else experienced this problem.

I experienced total signal loss when temperatures dropped below 15 degrees. I have a western arc antenna on 110, 119, 129. i would regain signals again when it warmed up above about 15 degrees. I had a new LNB installed by Dish and the signal loss during cold weather went away. Has anyone else experienced this problem.

Cold dry air and cold lnb will gave higher signal . So your lnb was defective.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SatelliteGuys

Since 1986 DISH has had a history of temperature sensitive LNBs both cold and warm temperatures cause signal loss. The cure is obviously to replace the LNB. Recent history is much better quality but still there are temperature sensitive LNBs. I wasn't going to mention but for senior techs. do you remember the Channel Master Dish Pro Twins being an automatic replacement when ever you found one?

Last edited:
To the OP, do you have a Hopper(s) with the node outside? If it is a duo node, there was a batch of them that were cold sensitive. Try insulating it, call Dish and demand they replace it and move it indoors. My duo is indoors and I've never had a problem.

To the OP, do you have a Hopper(s) with the node outside? If it is a duo node, there was a batch of them that were cold sensitive. Try insulating it, call Dish and demand they replace it and move it indoors. My duo is indoors and I've never had a problem.

It's not always feasible to put the node indoors. I myself put my node outside to save me a lot of cable running and drilling another hole into the house.

I understood that he swapped out the LNB and fixed the issue. Just discussing a different issue now that others could possibly have.

Demanding they replace AND move it is way above and beyond what should or could be done. The tech would roll out getting paid for a service call not a full reinstall which is what you are so called demanding. Unless you intend on paying for a reinstall and telling Dish to charge you the proper fees rather demanding this that and everything else free then put yourself into that tech's shoes when he/she shows up.

Also as noted not always can you put it indoors, everyone's home is different and situations are different and these things are UL listed and made to withstand the elements but in a few rare situations mixed with a certain LNB they were causing problems is all.

The nodes with the dot on them fix the cold issue.... Replace the node with one of those and all is well. No need to relocate.....

Interesting, I live in the Pacific Northwest and we recently had about 2 weeks of low teens to below zero and did not experience any issues.
The node is on the outside although I had a new dish installed this spring so maybe I got upgraded to the new one. I have 2 HWS with 1 joey setup.

On the older receivers, most of the LNB drift issues had to do with hot weather. Then the older Hopper Duo Node would have issues when placed outside in cold weather when combined with certain model LNBs.

For LNB drift, obviously the LNB is replaced. For the Hopper cold node issue, either replacing the LNB or using a black-dot node works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)