Signal loss from the dish to receiver?

garyreno

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Ohio
How far from the receiver can the dish be in feet?
I am having my dish moved in a couple of weeks because a neighbors tree has started to block my signal when the wind blows.
First the HD satellite goes out and I get SD only, then if it blows hard enough I lose all signal.
Western arc from southwest Ohio.

Last edited:
Used to be 100’ but now I think it’s 200’.

It may depend upon the receiver and LNB

Perhaps an installer will chime in.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sounds like the official Dish Network spec is 150’ maximum then? I know the FTA LNB’s I buy are tested to 1000’. That being said, I would never install a dish 1000’ feet away myself, but if using solid copper coax I would assume 150’ should be just fine.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I thought the official distance was 200 feet.

200 feet is the official maximum but like I said, over 150ft gets dubious especially depending on the wire used. I've seen longer lengths work right for quite a while but then start giving errors over time. Solid copper works for long runs better than copper clad steel and believe it or not, all cables even of the same brand and part number are not created equal. :)

Solid copper works for long runs better than copper clad steel and believe it or not, all cables even of the same brand and part number are not created equal. :)

So true. I’ve been spending a little extra $ to lay all copper coax for my FTA dishes. It’s worth it in the long run, I think.

Checking he documents I have acquired along the way:

For the Hopper the max length from LNBF to farthest Hopper is 200'.

For using the DPH-42 Switch, the farthest LNBF to Farthest Hopper is 140'.

I only use solid copper center core wire.
According to the DPH42 switch installation instructions on page 6 the maximum RG-6 length is 200' from LNB to receiver. Has it change to 140'?

Attachments

• DPH42_Installation.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 248
Reactions: comfortably_numb
I did a Hopper with 2 Joey's install today. Dish is on a pole between the house and garage. 150' Cable bury from the pole, where I had to sadly mount the Hub, 20' into the basement, to a Tap, Host line 10 more feet to the Hopper. From the Hub, Joey line buried about 100' to the TV in the Garage and all was working perfectly. Yes, I did way too much trenching on this job.....

In this case testing and long term reliability are 2 very different things. :)

Oh, I certainly agree... If I needed to go that far permanently, I would at least bump up to a continuous run of RG11, cut and coupled only as needed for the exterior entry/ground and interior wall termination at the receiver if necessary.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts