Signal loss on windy days

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
I have an installer coming out on Wednesday to repeak my dish. This spring, since the leaves came out, even breezy days cause a lot of signal loss on a lot of my HD channels (from satellite 129). Most of the trees in my area are really old and full grown, so I'm not sure what changed, but this wasn't an issue last spring/summer. Maybe I'm just watching a lot more from 129 this year.

It's been the worst on TBS-HD, CNN-HD and 5-Max-HD. I've checked the signal strength meter, and about the highest it goes is around 34 to 38 for these transponders. Some of my other channels on 129 (and 110) get up to around 45-50, and 119 is into the 60s and 70s.

Any advice for how to work with the installer when he comes? Should I buy a 2nd dish for 61.5? Or will that screw me in the future if Indy locals go to 129?

Jeff

I am having the same problem in Indy also with 129. Two weeks ago all is fine and now I have problems with low quality on certain transponders. I have someone coming tomorrow. I have a D1000+. 129 is a weak bird and I have great quality on some transponders. We are gonig to try to peak on Transponder 2, the lowest of them and then check the lowest on 110, 118.75, & 119. I would not get another dish for 61.5. If you want HD locals they will most likely be CONUS on 118.75 or 129. The 61.5 spot beams are full for the Indianapolis area, with several cities nearby.

I am having the same problem in Indy also with 129. Two weeks ago all is fine and now I have problems with low quality on certain transponders. I have someone coming tomorrow. I have a D1000+. 129 is a weak bird and I have great quality on some transponders. We are gonig to try to peak on Transponder 2, the lowest of them and then check the lowest on 110, 118.75, & 119. I would not get another dish for 61.5. If you want HD locals they will most likely be CONUS on 118.75 or 129. The 61.5 spot beams are full for the Indianapolis area, with several cities nearby.

Thanks! Let me know what you end up finding tomorrow....

I have an installer coming out on Wednesday to repeak my dish. This spring, since the leaves came out, even breezy days cause a lot of signal loss on a lot of my HD channels (from satellite 129). Most of the trees in my area are really old and full grown, so I'm not sure what changed, but this wasn't an issue last spring/summer. Maybe I'm just watching a lot more from 129 this year.

It's been the worst on TBS-HD, CNN-HD and 5-Max-HD. I've checked the signal strength meter, and about the highest it goes is around 34 to 38 for these transponders. Some of my other channels on 129 (and 110) get up to around 45-50, and 119 is into the 60s and 70s.

Any advice for how to work with the installer when he comes? Should I buy a 2nd dish for 61.5? Or will that screw me in the future if Indy locals go to 129?

Jeff

Two Dish techs came out today and installed a 61.5 dish for me (no cost) since trees had grown in the way of a good view of 129. The numbers look much better and are solid now, so hopefully problems are solved.

FWIW, it was a super-easy process. I called Dish tech support on Sunday evening, the techs came out today (on time) and had me fixed up in about an hour.

The guy came today to fix my dish. I have used this guy for 25 or more years. He still does work on C/KU Band for me. He swears (I believe him) that my dish had not moved. He blamed it on the Earthquakes several weeks ago. It does stand to reason that the whole house could have moved just enough to have caused the problems, or there could have been just enough movement in the earth's plate here to have caused the problem. Everything was fine on the roof. It is hard to believe the 1000+'s are that touchy. I may have not viewed those channels I was missing in several weeks.

The guy came today to fix my dish. I have used this guy for 25 or more years. He still does work on C/KU Band for me. He swears (I believe him) that my dish had not moved. He blamed it on the Earthquakes several weeks ago. It does stand to reason that the whole house could have moved just enough to have caused the problems, or there could have been just enough movement in the earth's plate here to have caused the problem. Everything was fine on the roof. It is hard to believe the 1000+'s are that touchy. I may have not viewed those channels I was missing in several weeks.

They really are..

Jeff
you'd be surprised at the amount of dishes I have had to relocate this spring. Trees never stop growing. Older ones just do not grow as fast.

I had to have my 61.5 dish repeaked last week. The dishes were installed on a 4x4 post last fall and the post warped enough to get that one out of alignment. The other dish was fine and repeaking only gained a couple of points. I know I should have used a metal post or a 6x6, but it is what it is.

Here, there has been this tree that I watch every year, looks to be growing right in the path of what I believe would be 129. Figured by this year I would have to relocate the dish.

Well... Power company putting up some new power lines, and the tree came down a few days ago. My signal strength is better than ever. :)

Now I'll be beaming through power lines when they go up, Hope that doesn't cause any issues.

Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I am in Lexington KY in a fairly new subdivision three and a half years old. I've had Dish ever since I've lived here and never any problems until recently I have been getting loss of signal on certain channels. I get loss on Chiller and some HD channels. What is shocking to me is since I'm leasing their equipment; if something goes wrong they automatically charge 49.00 to come out? Why? I thought maybe it was my Dish that needed tweaking or something or perhaps something wrong with receiver. I called support and asked about this and she said had I had the "protection plan" it would've only cost me 29.00? So if I have the home protection plan, I still have to pay anyway? This seems wrong to me. Oh well. It is what it is I guess.

I had a similar problem with wind here in southern Minnesota. After several attempts to reconfigure, a more experienced installer found undetected hail damage to some components. (Not the Dish itself, but some of the connecting boxes installed with it on the roof. Sorry, I don't know the technical name.)

When he replaced the damaged components, no more sensitivity to wind. Sande

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts