Signal Loss problem..2 tuner inputs with different SS?

azdevil

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I've been having signal loss problems lately. I have a Dish Pro Plus 1000 with built in switch, feeding a VIP 622 via single cable using separator, and a 301 single receiver.

I'm having issues on second tuner, especially on HD NET, sat 110, transponder 7.

The strange thing is that I get a signal strength of 71 on tuner input 1 on the 622 install menu (6-1-1) but if I switch to "Tuner Input 2", it goes down 30 points and at times there's no signal at all, which is probably why I'm losing signal.

My question is...is this strange, to get 2 SS readings on the same sat and transp., but on different tuner input settings? Or does this sound like there may be a problem with the LNB?

The 301 signal meter is also not getting a signal on 110, transponder 7 like the 622 tuner input 2, so I ruled out a receiver problem.

Any help is appreciated. Trying to save a service call. This used to happen on 129 channels a lot, but now it's also on 110 and I cant live without HD net!!

I've been having signal loss problems lately. I have a Dish Pro Plus 1000 with built in switch, feeding a VIP 622 via single cable using separator, and a 301 single receiver.

I'm having issues on second tuner, especially on HD NET, sat 110, transponder 7.

The strange thing is that I get a signal strength of 71 on tuner input 1 on the 622 install menu (6-1-1) but if I switch to "Tuner Input 2", it goes down 30 points and at times there's no signal at all, which is probably why I'm losing signal.

My question is...is this strange, to get 2 SS readings on the same sat and transp., but on different tuner input settings? Or does this sound like there may be a problem with the LNB?

The 301 signal meter is also not getting a signal on 110, transponder 7 like the 622 tuner input 2, so I ruled out a receiver problem.

Any help is appreciated. Trying to save a service call. This used to happen on 129 channels a lot, but now it's also on 110 and I cant live without HD net!!
Unbelievable(shaking head)...Why are you trying to avoid a service call....Fixing these things is what we get paid to do..This is our profession...

Unbelievable(shaking head)...Why are you trying to avoid a service call....Fixing these things is what we get paid to do..This is our profession...

Thanks but you couldve just said you dont know the answer. I'll keep trying. I dont really feel like wasting the $99 or my time by having to be home for 2 weeks in a row till they figure it out.

Its possible that your lnb is bad but your higher signal is also rather low, most of the signals on the 110 should be around 90 or higher if it was tuned in adequately. If you have the time and a friend who can help you can tune the dish yourself.

With a friend you will want to put the signal screen up, have your friend watch it, you go to the dish and call him on your cell, its best to use a headset so both hands are free. Give the dish a tug first to the left and ask him wich way the signal goes, if it goes up then your in the right direction if not then go the other way, if still no then either up or down until the signal comes up so you have an idea if you need to loose the horizontal or the vertical adjustment bolts to tune the dish in.

If solo then you can try putting the tv with the receiver near an open window and turn up the volume with the point dish screen up and listen to the tone of the signal, works about the same but your listening to the tone.

After this is done then check that signal again, if there is still a diference between the two sides of the receiver next you will need to swap the cables at the back of the receiver, most likely you have a seperator so just cross the lines from the seperator and check again, if it follows then its possible its a seperator issue or the jumper is bad, if it stays then your probably looking at a failing receiver. With the seperator your best bet is to order one from dishstore wich is one of the sponsors here.

Thanks for all the advice. I at least want to have some idea of what the problem is before I call for service. I kinda lost my faith in "pros" when the original installer apparently didnt know what skew is and left me with no signal for 129 from the 1st day of installation. He said, "don't worry, the signal will come in in 2 or 3 hours." I didnt know anything about this stuff then, but obviously when there was no signal the next day, another installer had to come out and fix it. Now I laugh about how naive I was but it taught me to 1.) learn more about this stuff so I dont look like an ass and 2.) some pros are not so much.

I'm sure all the pros that frequent this board are all highly ethical of course;) but that 1st installer was not for me.

And I've read and heard other horror stories about installs so I wanna do my homework first.

My big question is if some of you have experience with the dual tuner 622 point dish screen, if that's normal to get a signal of 93 on tuner input 1 but get a signal of 51 on tuner input 2. That seems odd and why I thought it could be the built in switch in the DPP 1000. But I think I have to try to get the best signal possible first. The original install seemed a little wobbly to me from the beginning. Here I go again.

My big question is if some of you have experience with the dual tuner 622 point dish screen, if that's normal to get a signal of 93 on tuner input 1 but get a signal of 51 on tuner input 2. That seems odd and why I thought it could be the built in switch in the DPP 1000. But I think I have to try to get the best signal possible first. The original install seemed a little wobbly to me from the beginning. Here I go again.
Trust me its not normal for any dual tuner to have that kind of variation in signal from one side of the box to the other, you are definitely experiencing a problem that does need to be fixed.

I switched the lines on the separator and I now have the same signal strength on both inputs. I dont understand how that works but i'll take it. Thanks for that advice.

Now if I could just get a stronger signal on 129 without adding a 2nd dish. I think I might have to cut my neighbors tree down in the middle of the night too.

I had completely forgotten about an issue where crossing the seperator lines to the receiver fixes that issue. This was something that I had seen on dual tuners when seperators first came out with dishpro plus one of the first few production runs of seperators.

"Why are you trying to avoid a service call"

A lot of us come to Satguys to avoid a service call. First it costs money, second you have to take time off from work and third you learn here and the next time you can just do it yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)