Signal loss - weather

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
Have 1k4 and a 722. Dish last peaked in April 11. Software version L722
Since this dish was installed it is rare to experience any signal loss, unless significant build up of snow on dish, occasionally there will ne short losses during very heavy rain or blizzard but again very rare.
To day we have had a very light but very wet snow storm. Accumulation has been negligible. Lost signal around 0430, before I could check on snow the 722 rebooted. It stuck on the aquiring signal screen for 10 min or so. No snow on dish bit it ws snowing. I rebooted ( front pannel) signal came back. I was watching local news in hd on TV1. About an hour later I turn on TV2 and it shows complete signal loss screen, TV1 is still ok. Reboot again, no change. Check sys info, 77 red 72 green 61.5 amber. Signal strength 77 0 72 10 61.5 50.
This has never happened before, no signal on TV 2 but signal on TV 1. Just wondering if this is an indication of possible failure of the 722. Any thoughts
TV2 did finally receive signal about an hour after I first realized the issue
I do understand that the actial weather conditions at my location may not be the issue with signal loss. Heavy clouds full of moisture many miles up maybe the problem
However it just seems odd that TV2 was out when TV1 was ok

Ross

I'm in Ayer, MA 01432

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
ZachS@DISH Network said:
Can you check the signal when it clears up? That is really low. I would say that it's probably not the 722 causing the signal loss.

I will.

Ross

R0ss said:
Have 1k4 and a 722. Dish last peaked in April 11. Software version L722
Since this dish was installed it is rare to experience any signal loss, unless significant build up of snow on dish, occasionally there will ne short losses during very heavy rain or blizzard but again very rare.
To day we have had a very light but very wet snow storm. Accumulation has been negligible. Lost signal around 0430, before I could check on snow the 722 rebooted. It stuck on the aquiring signal screen for 10 min or so. No snow on dish bit it ws snowing. I rebooted ( front pannel) signal came back. I was watching local news in hd on TV1. About an hour later I turn on TV2 and it shows complete signal loss screen, TV1 is still ok. Reboot again, no change. Check sys info, 77 red 72 green 61.5 amber. Signal strength 77 0 72 10 61.5 50.
This has never happened before, no signal on TV 2 but signal on TV 1. Just wondering if this is an indication of possible failure of the 722. Any thoughts
TV2 did finally receive signal about an hour after I first realized the issue
I do understand that the actial weather conditions at my location may not be the issue with signal loss. Heavy clouds full of moisture many miles up maybe the problem
However it just seems odd that TV2 was out when TV1 was ok

Ross

I'm in Ayer, MA 01432

If one tuner works but the other does not:

Your lnb or seperator may be failing. Possibly the reciever, but pretty doubtful.

Do what ever is cheapest for you first, if a tech visit cost you 15 bucks then go with that, if a reciever shipment is free go with that first.

Dishman1978 said:
If one tuner works but the other does not:

Your lnb or seperator may be failing. Possibly the reciever, but pretty doubtful.

Do what ever is cheapest for you first, if a tech visit cost you 15 bucks then go with that, if a reciever shipment is free go with that first.

So is the lnb/seperator issue exacerbated by signal degradation? Don't have the problem under normal comditions.

Ross

I think what Dishamn means is that if you can use TV1 but not TV2, or TV2 but not TV1 something responsible for switching is failing. Usually a separator but sometimes an LNB. Make sure if you experiment with that you turn off the tuner with the big red button, not just the TV. But given your signal strengths I think your dish got batted to one side by the weather.

ZachS@DISH Network said:
Can you check the signal when it clears up? That is really low. I would say that it's probably not the 722 causing the signal loss.

As of 0742 1/14:

61.5 52
72.7 60
77 48

72 and 77 have cpnsistent readings mpving up and dpwn the transponder range.
61.5 goes from a low of 14 on spotbeam 1 to a high of 71 on spotbeam 7

Ross

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)