Signal on 129, Northwest

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Halr

Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
Glad to be back with Dish. Switching from direct to dish in one day, I was able to compare video quality, channel vs. channel. I noticed a difference right away, but more importantly, my wife noticed a difference right away. If she noticed, it must be a large difference. The quality of the HD channels are most definitely clearer and sharper. Maybe not as compressed as much? I had both the D and the E receivers locked down at 720P, to match my native tv resolution. I am impressed with the quality. However....

I am not too impressed by signal strength. I wouldn't care if it was 10, as long as the picture was good. But in my instance, my locals are on 129, spot beam 10, xponder 16. My signal strength on that is 43. Looking around on 129, my average, is about 53. Just about the same on 119. My 110 is running in the high 60's to mid 70's. On occasion, I get some pixelation on my local HD channels from 129.

Using a meter, and then verifying with the signal meter on the 722k, I peaked the dish at the 119, xponder 11. It was just off slightly, the original install last weekend was pretty darn close. Then had the boss switch it over to 129, and fine peaked that one. Went from the original 51 to 53 on the xpnder I was using. (not on 10, but a CONUS) I live on the California / Oregon border, 97524 and right in the middle of the spotbeam 10, and should have an ERP of about 58 ish.. Seems that I should have a much stronger signal strength, not 43.

So, what are some experiences with the 722k. Does the meter read naturally lower? What would be considered an acceptable average for the northwest on 129? Do to variations in installs, I am not looking for an exact number, but if anyone is in the northern California or Southern Oregon area, a reference or two would be nice.

I am using a 1000.2 dish. Skew is set, 86, elevation now at 41, az is peaked by meter. Pole is as plumb as plumb gets. I used to install C band equipment, and understand the plumbness.. Anyhow, I am a little stumped at the low signal numbers, considering CEIL II is a new bird, and that makes me think that there is something that I am overlooking.

Any thoughts? Larger Dish options? (single dish)

I think that the spotbeams might be transmitting at lower power then the conus. My spotbeam on Tp 2 is 37 and the average of conus on 129 is 50.
Dan

Last edited:
Any thoughts? Larger Dish options? (single dish)
I'm in Rocklin, CA (near Sacramento) and my vip722 averages around 50 to 53 on 129.

I am having problems with video stuttering and so my first attempt to solve the problem was to re-peak the dish. I have a Dish 500 for 110/119 and a wing dish for 129.

But no matter what I did to tweak the aim of the wing dish, 53 was the best I could get. Dish Tech support confirmed that 53 was about the best I could expect.

Aside from the video stuttering (which I suspect is a software issue), the HD picture quality on my 52" Sony at 1080i is very nice. Pixelization is very rare (maybe once a week for a second or two).

If you have the time and money, you might try using a 90 cm wing dish for 129.

Maybe later today I'll aim my 90 cm at 129 and see what signal strength improvement I get.

Brett

I'm in Eugene, Oregon and most Dish customers around here (me included) use two dishes........... a 500 aimed at 110/119 and a 1000 aimed at 129. I rarely lose signal.

Maybe later today I'll aim my 90 cm at 129 and see what signal strength improvement I get.

Brett

Your setup and results are same as mine. Please let us know the results with larger dish.
Dan

Thanks guys.. I don't want to tackle the dual dish solution. Not only do I not want any more holes in my roof, but I want to make the 1000.2 work to its design.

I have been doing some more research, and I believe that my 43 on xpnder 16, is actually pretty good for a single dish solution here. Most likely it is just me, not being used to the new receivers reading signals so low, compared to the old ones.

Winter will tell, when the clouds get thick!

Thanks all!

Yep...40's are good on 129... 110 will be higher as it's a dedicated high power CONUS satellite. 129 has to do all the work by itself unlike at 110 where there are E10 and E11 handling spotbeams and CONUS coverage.

DirecTV uses a different scale on the signal meter. I think the picture starts dropping at around 15 on the DishNetwork scale.

gone

went ten toes up this afternoon in Seattle.

Shows loss of sat signal, tries 110 bird, then a message. Dish is aware of and working on it.

Now I feel better :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)